PDA

View Full Version : Tricks in the Trade channel

Jin17
03-18-2010, 08:21 AM
In case you're wondering, this has nothing to do with rogues, but rather the freak of nature that the Trade channel in most crowded servers has become.

Its not uncommon to see alot of stuff being written in there, mostly its full of people starting raid groups or those looking for raid groups, at times we get the regular gold spammer, he's at the right place though atleast he sells something, perhaps some drama or even guild recruitments - everything is nicely packed into 1 channel that in some points in time (rush hours) gets so flooded that the messages pass by so fast you cannot understand anything about it.

Normally this was no biggie for me cause I'm used to it but I decided to do a topic here to see how others felt about it, cause of a few attacks on my current realm on people that actually wanted to promote their wares, for instance a Jewelcrafter or Blacksmith offering craftables and gems would get flamed as to why he "spams" the trade channel when people are looking for raids on that same channel.

Someone looking for something crafted or enchanted would get the very same treatment and to a neutral party like myself for instance all of this seemed wrong.
In my opinion Blizzard should fix this part of the game properly as it doesn't require that much work to do, separate the channels so that they do not inter-mix purposes installed in them, currently the only reason the Trade chat is used is because it connects all of the major cities from a faction, that altough good has proven to be the reason for most of the spam and unwanted messages appearing out of nowhere in that place.

Separating the channels, making it possible for those that want to look for raids and party to enter a channel accessible from everywhere and being connected into cities aswell. Trade should be only for those who want to buy, sell or trade something, guild related recruitments in a separate channel aswell, most guilded folks do not want to be bothered with guilding and if they want to switch a guild, they can enter the appropriate channel ofcourse. As for the gold spammers, well we've seen that this has no sollution so they can do whatever they want to really but the chat will be much more organised without as much chaos as I see now in 2 realms I've been in and from the words of friends of mine the same deal is on other servers aswell. Well that's my 2 cents atleast.

MellvarTank
03-18-2010, 08:30 AM
They have those channels already : Lookingforgroup and guildrecruitment

I blame the people, they are the ones who aren't using the right channels. Everyone just started using trade because more people are plugged into it. *sigh* I don't think there is a fix.

redneck6979
03-18-2010, 08:35 AM
(if I am missing any sarcasm please forgive me its early and I haven't finished my coffee yet, lol)

There already are channels, LFG channel, Guild Recruitment and a General chat. Why no one uses them is beyond me.

This does gets me sometimes and it has come to the point that I just stay out of major cites or ignore the trade channel altogether. The one thing that gets me more than the random babble in trade is the grammar police in trade, I could care less about it and as long as ppl understand what the person is talking about then why bother.

As for gold spammers in the trade chat, there is no way to get rid of them and they are "selling" or "advertising" a product so that kinda fits with the trade channel. Just dont talk to them, a buddy of mine did he was telling them he was going to buy some gold and tried to haggle a price and they reported him to blizzard I guess with screen shots and he got a 3 day ban for it, lol.

Jin17
03-18-2010, 08:50 AM
a buddy of mine did he was telling them he was going to buy some gold and tried to haggle a price and they reported him to blizzard I guess with screen shots and he got a 3 day ban for it, lol.

Honnestly I had a very nice laugh on this one, its one of those epic moments I guess :)

And yes we do have these channels aswell but the separation is kinda difficult, meaning that everyone just goes to Trade for everything possible, which is a pain in most cases and it indeed ends up that most people avoid cities.

bling581
03-18-2010, 09:38 AM
Everyone just started using trade because more people are plugged into it.
This. The problem I think is that people don't use General for random crap because of this reason. Also, unless I'm mistaken, you have to be listed in the LFD tool or raid browser to join the looking for group channel. I actually like it that people use trade for LFG/LFM spam because there are times I'm in the dungeon queue and someone else will be LFM for some raid I could use on another toon. It would be difficult, or even near impossible, but it would be nice to join the queue or browser and be able to select all your toons that are eligible so you're not restricted to being on 1 character at a time that possibly has nothing to do besides grind mobs while you wait.

Overall I don't mind semi-legitimate uses of trade chat, even when it's not related to trading, but it's the useless crap like the Murloc jokes and endless drama/fighting that causes me to /leave trade.

Malaegis
03-18-2010, 09:50 AM
Also, unless I'm mistaken, you have to be listed in the LFD tool or raid browser to join the looking for group channel.

This is no longer true. You can join LFG whenever you are in a major city. I don't remember what patch this changed, but the way you describe was true at one point; Now, you can join LFG the same way you join any other channel. (I use it, and it sits (mostly) empty on my server.)

Bodasafa
03-18-2010, 09:56 AM
Realistically during peak times its best to just shut trade off. I actually have it off almost all the time these days.

If you need something crafted/cut/enchanted, there is almost certainly someone in your guild that can get it done on a main or an alt. Or at the very least they know someone.

If your looking to make money off your profession choose a gathering one and drop those items on the AH, then you don't have to deal with trade at all. Probably the only time trade benefits a Crafter profession is when you catch a "LF BS to Craft ect ect ect" in trade and you respond to make the combine, yielding you a small tip. Not really worth the hassle considering how much gold you can make by doing dailies, selling gems you get from honor/badges, and hell the gold you make from raiding is actually a net increase vs. repairs if you do it on a regular basis and attend the farm nights. There are plenty of alternatives to making gold then wasting your life away in the Trade Channel.

I understand your points Jin about how different channels could/should be used or implemented. The problem is what we have now will likely never change and there is very little Blizzard can do to enforce proper usage of those channels.

They are self managed by the people that use them and lets face it, people have very little self control, especially the kiddies.

Quinafoi
03-18-2010, 10:11 AM
According to the combat log...
Trade is afflicted by Human Stupidity.

Remove Curse... check.
Dispel Magic... check
Abolish Disease... check.
Abolish Poison... check.

Abolish Stupidity... no such spell yet.

There is no fix. After years of working as a developer I can vouche for this. When the user is broken, it's a lot harder to fix than the code.

Kazeyonoma
03-18-2010, 10:27 AM
Moved to Off Topic.

Please be mindful of what you discuss here, if you're here to just kind of talk whatever, especially trade chat stuff, just realize Off-Topic forum is a safer place to create these threads, or in your own blog if it's about your personal experiences, than in the General Discussion.

Jin17
03-18-2010, 12:02 PM
My bad, I'll be more careful in the future.

There is no fix. After years of working as a developer I can vouche for this. When the user is broken, it's a lot harder to fix than the code

I had an interesting idea though, how do you enter the LFG system? You press a button and you get inside it. If you're outside of it you do not get bothered that someone has a group going for somewhere and they need X class and spec.
Why not make channels work the same way? Have some buttons included for these that can be turned on or off, similar to the LFG and for instance put a ban on the LFG or LFM words in the trade chat with a message that its the wrong place and redirecting to the other normal chat. I think this will do a fine trick.

Bodasafa
03-18-2010, 12:49 PM
I had an interesting idea though, how do you enter the LFG system? You press a button and you get inside it. If you're outside of it you do not get bothered that someone has a group going for somewhere and they need X class and spec.
Why not make channels work the same way? Have some buttons included for these that can be turned on or off, similar to the LFG and for instance put a ban on the LFG or LFM words in the trade chat with a message that its the wrong place and redirecting to the other normal chat. I think this will do a fine trick.

This already exists. Hover over your chat window. Select the Tab at the top and turn on/off the channels you want. Not sure how a ban on keywords would work. In the end people will find a way around just about anything.

vine
03-19-2010, 12:24 AM
Trade should be only for those who want to buy, sell or trade something
Yeah, good luck with that one.

Mačl
03-19-2010, 02:51 AM
It comes down to server culture.

Back when the LFG channel got removed we created a private channel called SNG(SucheNachGruppe = LookingForGroup). Trade channel is mostly used for selling stuff. Our SNG channel is sorta unofficial and it is VERY old. It's quite interesting to watch how channel ownership switches automatically when certain characters log on. Seems to be related to character age. I dunno.

This channel is policed vigurously. So you get the usual meta-drama of who gets kicked, who is owner, who is mod, who can unban me. A friend of mine managed to get hold of it, password protect it and kick everyone. I myself like to start idiotic discussions on channel policy by switching between alts.

My best stunt was claiming that a guildie got the "flying pig mount" from Lady Vashj despite being a paladin. He played along. I logged on my alts and asked silly questions about the mount. Including logging on to my lvl 3 paladin and claiming I had seen him with it and that a paladin already gets a free mount so clearly the mount should have gone to a hunter. My rogue argue that clearly the flying pig mount is for rogues. My priest said that he will not ride on pigs since he just built his flying machine at great expense. My paladin insulted my priest and called him a luddite. My rouge then asked if the flying pig mount drops somewhere else. My paladin replied to that that "some pro guild" got it in BT on the PTR. So because enough people(me) argued about the fyling pig mount, it became a well known fact that it exists and it only dropss from Lady Vashj if you drop the ball twice.

For weeks afterwards people were asking is somebody else got the flying pig mount and how to get it.

It's like peeing on an ant hill.

I never ever got banned or kicked.

People from our server's most hated other server(which for the last 5 years has been Frostwolf) create level 1 alts just to listen to that channel. It is truly epic.