PDA

View Full Version : Tanking Shield Block and T9 4P

Tankie
03-18-2010, 03:58 AM
After a bunch of searches I couldn't find the answer to this.

Does everybody use Shield Block every cooldown? My SB reduces hits by an extra 2k and if I understand it correctly, SB means every single hit is blocked, so that is the equivalent of having a tonne more armor whilst it's up isn't it? So surely the longer it's up the better? However, I've read that people don't like the T9 4P bonus, which I can't understand. Am I wrong and people do like it or am I misunderstanding the value of the bonus?

T4 4P: Decreases the cooldown on your Shield Block ability by 10 seconds

So instead of it being up 10 seconds in 50, 20%, it's up 10 seconds in 40, 25%, is that not a big enough difference? Are people who don't take the bonus still using SB every cooldown?

Klash_Scryers
03-18-2010, 12:25 PM
Well, it depends on the fight. For bosses with reliable damage spikes I tend to hold onto it to help out when needed rather then every cooldown. However, for fights with fairly steady damage, it's pretty much used on cooldown.

As for the tier piece, I don't think it's that people particularly dislike it, they just don't see enough value in it to take inferior gear for. For triumph badges you can get both shoulders and a helm that are better than the tier pieces, so you have to decide if sacrificing one of those pieces is worth it for more shield block uptime. Then you factor in that they'll likely replace some of the set soon anyways with frost emblem gear and it gets a bit harder to justify.

All that being said, there's nothing wrong with it. It's just that it pales in comparison to the T8 set bonus, and many people judged it based on that when it came out. Which I suspect is where most of the perception of it not being good came from.