PDA

View Full Version : DPS DPS/HPS by Spec: Top End, Real World Numbers

sollaires
03-16-2010, 03:03 PM
Posted this in some other spots but neglected TankSpot!

A project I have been working on recently went live in partnership with StratFu:

http://stratfu.com/kamigami/

I figured I'd post it here so that folks can check it out, discuss the findings, and see what other interesting information I can throw together.

What It Is

I built an app to scrape all the data from the World of Logs DPS and HPS Rankings for 25 mans (http://worldoflogs.com/rankings/players/Icecrown_Citadel/dps/) and present the information with a little bit more summarization and comparison across specs. Median, maximum, minimum, and a compact chart with the general distribution of performance are all there for all normal mode 25 man fights in Icecrown.

It only uses parses from the last 2 weeks in an attempt to keep the information current when buffs/nerfs occur (either to fights or to specs). I also explicitly cut 5% of the records off the top and bottom since WoL still has some issues with invalid parses getting onto the lists.

What It Is Not

This data is not proof of anything aside from what the best players can do in ideal situations. Keep in mind that many of those making these rankings are intentionally ignoring fight mechanics (range staying close to Festergut, melee not target switching) or are getting all the best buffs a raid can throw at them (innervate, hysteria, tricks, PI, etc).

The data also does not support anything about raid composition or who guilds are bringing to fights. The number of records is simply a count of how many of the rankings landed in the 2 week window. Players not getting new records and the recent opening of hard modes are two major factors that make this number have little meaning (aside from seeing very, very few parses from some classes)

Known Limitations/Issues

- Spec detection for some classes (DK tanks is the big one right now) is not perfect on World of Logs at this time. Many of these will be automatically fixed if/when World of Logs gets their detection for those cases correct. Healers should be OK.

Enjoy!

Satorri
03-17-2010, 06:09 AM
I like it! So long as people can take it with the appropriate grains of salt it is actually a very interesting bit of feedback about class/spec potentials and a bit on class/spec representation.

Thank you for sharing. =)

MellvarTank
03-17-2010, 08:08 AM
Cool beans. I agree with Satorri, as long as people understand what you are posting (which I think you were pretty clear about) this is a good reference point for anyone to check out potential DPS/spec from those doing close in less-than-ideal situations. :)

swelt
03-17-2010, 05:11 PM
Looks like fury with 100% passive arp and DBW is doing alright...

Satorri
03-19-2010, 05:30 AM
That would be interesting actually, I didn't dig too deeply, is there a way to link to any of the specific damage reports so people can actually check to see who is doing what, and how they gear/spec in addition to the breakdown of their report?

I suppose it is just every report on World of Logs, but maybe there's a way to link to the top and bottom 5/10?

swelt
03-19-2010, 07:02 AM
If you click the WOL links on the left hand side, it takes you to WOL's scoreboard. From there you can drill down to specific logs. Oddly WOL don't like to the armory page, but you can find names + realms and search.

Satorri
03-21-2010, 05:43 AM
Oooo thank you. I've noticed that as well. I got so used to the handy links in WWS. Honestly I really liked a lot of WWS's layout and options more, I wish it hadn't been abandoned.

Unger
03-22-2010, 11:18 AM
This is an AMAZING tool.... thank you so much for putting this together!