PDA

View Full Version : WOW Armory Ranking

Akiira
03-16-2010, 01:20 PM
Totally an EPeen situation but does anyone understand why certain lvl 80s are not 1st even if the relevance bar is 100% my toon is Akiira on realm Norgannon and there were three Akiira's on diff servers that were at the top (lvl 80s) and as i leveled to 80 i started at #4 then slowly worked my way up to #1...., now i'm #2 again, just wondering what makes me or any other "Akiira" more relevant than the others?

Akiira
03-16-2010, 01:26 PM
Also just noticed, there are several other lvl 80s in the list that are waaaay further down, even below lower level people....... why?.....

Kazeyonoma
03-16-2010, 01:36 PM
Last signed on date.

Skyborn
03-16-2010, 01:37 PM
I'm fairly certain whoever logs into the game most recently will be at the top. I've seen myself bounce up and down the top 3 or 4 of the list of Skyborn's on the armory and other than last log in time I don't know how else they would calculate it. I certainly don't think they are ranking it by how geared you are...

Edit: Kazey!! You GD ninja!

Akiira
03-16-2010, 09:14 PM
Last signed on date.

Wrong. I took the time and trouble to test it, checked wowarmory first then logged on, checked, logged off, checked, stayed logged on for quite a while, checked, my position did not change once. and then i thought, ok lets compare to see what is soo much better than my Akiira. There last log in date was February 25, now being March 17th and I have logged in every day for the past.... idk week and a half, i KNOW it is not log in dates!

Destruyen
03-17-2010, 12:38 AM
i know there are 4 destruyens and 3 are mine. one being my main warrior, the second being my alt warrior from bc that i don't play anymore and stuck at lvl 75, the 3rd being someone's alt, and finally a dk i made a few weeks ago on a friend's server to talk to them. that's how they always stay ranked, so it might go off date created but i doubt it.

Arikak
03-17-2010, 01:59 PM
If you think about it the whole "Relevance" ranking on the armory is rather mysterious. The only variable that can be seen seems to be level.

It's clearly not entirely spelling based since you have to have the spelling exact for it to return a result (it doesn't suggest a spelling like a typical search engine). The findings here suggest that its not log-in based (or if it is it does not update frequently).

Perhaps it's loosely IP based?

I find it highly likely Blizzard records the IP addresses you log into your WoW account from. They could then have some sort of formula that sorts toon by a relevance akin to: Spelling > Level > Characters on the realm most frequently logged into by this IP > Characters in the Battlegroup most frequently logged into by this IP > Highly searched for Characters > All other characters.

Akiira
03-17-2010, 03:49 PM
that's how they always stay ranked, so it might go off date created but i doubt it.

if this were the case then why did i move up the list to first then back down to second (same 4 people at top of list)

same with the ip based suggestion, why would i move up the list to first then back down?

Kazeyonoma
03-17-2010, 04:06 PM
the simple answer is no one knows and i don't think many people care? :P

BruisedOoze
03-18-2010, 10:24 AM
Wrong.

No, not really. It used to be on the WoW armory FAQ last year but now it has been removed from all but CN

http://cn.wowarmory.com/faq-armory.xml

Similar to a search engine relevance rating, the relevance category attempts to sort the matches to a search with the goal that the most appropriate matches appear near the top of the search results. Relevance is determined by running a combination of factors through an algorithm. These factors are different depending on what category is being searched for. For example, relevancy for a particular character name search may be affected by the level of the character, the last login time of the character, and other factors .