PDA

View Full Version : Best setup for ICC10

Varath
03-16-2010, 10:11 AM
Hello, I was wondering what the best setup for ICC10 would be in your opinion?.

Personally I like to run with 2 healers a paladin and a druid/shaman, and of course having a shaman for heroism either as elemental DPS or resto. I also think paladin and death knight is a great tanking combo.

But I would like to hear what you think is the best? :)

Bodasafa
03-16-2010, 10:14 AM
This is the best set up:

2 pure tanks
2 pure healers
1 dps/healer that is geared and capable of both as you will need x3 healers on later fights
5 pure dps

Aside from that any class combination will work. Its nice to have a Shaman for Heroism, but not required and having class diversity (not having x3 of the same class) is beneficial. Also remember you can use Kings/Gift Drums and Fort Scrolls to cover buffs your missing.

There is no magic set up of specific classes if that's what your looking for.

Varath
03-16-2010, 10:18 AM
I see your point :)

gacktt
03-16-2010, 10:38 AM
Practically, you want at least 3 ranged dpsers, a shaman and 3 dedicated healers with one of them having a dps off spec, tanks only matter if they give you a certain raid buff/debuff you lack.

Ideally you want a feral tank + unholy DK OT(if you use the warlock setup use a paladin)
arcane mage/aff lock
arcane mage/aff lock
arcane mage/aff lock
arcane mage/aff lock
ele shaman
druid + priest + pally healer.

hunter x4 + ench shaman and a warrior offtank + feral main tank also works like a dream.

Obviously noone's gonna make a setup like this other than people trying to cheese certain encounters by raid stacking.

Bodasafa
03-16-2010, 11:03 AM
Yes I forgot to mention having a balance of range and melee is ideal. 3 melee and 3 ranged, with one of them being your flop to 3rd healer for upper spire when needed.

Bashal
03-16-2010, 11:53 AM
The raid comp we use that works well for us is:

Tanks:
Warrior
Paladin

Heals:
Resto Shaman
Resto Druid
Disc Priest

DPS:
Mage
Boomchicken
Hunter
Rogue
Feral Druid

* The feral druid has a tank offset
* All 3 healers have a dps spec (we tend to have the priest go shadow)
* One of the tanks has a DPS spec

We have another ICC10 group whose members shift around more, they still do well though. Lots of comps work fine, the one above seems to have a nice spread of capabilities and hasn't really made us go "I really wish I had an X".

Not to mention: brez x3 ftw

Grae
03-17-2010, 11:10 AM
Ours is a similar setup.
Tanks: Warrior, Paladin
Heals: Holy Priest, Disc Priest, Resto Shaman (both priests have pretty good shadow specs)
DPS: Ret Pally, Rogue, Boomkin, Warlock, Mage

We actually use anywhere from 1 to 4 healers per fight (early fights in normal mode were healable by the shaman alone; we like to go 4-healer on Valithria). We've found many fights to change drastically in difficulty switching between 2 and 3 healers... Putricide normal with 3 was much harder than 2, while Sindragosa punishes a 2-healer setup if the RNG gets mean.

Ubast
03-17-2010, 12:01 PM
This is the set up we use for the lich king
Tanks: Pally Druid
Healers: Pally Druid
DPS Pally Shammy(ench.)Warrior Mage Warlock Hunter

We use this for the rest of the place with the expection of Dreamwalker we have the Shammy heal.

Quinafoi
03-17-2010, 03:20 PM
Best setup for 10 man includes... that's a tough one.

I'd have to say the best would comprise of the following.

1 ninja AFKer
2 on the same ISP which consistently disconnect
1 eating while playing
1 updating addons for the first 15 minutes of raid
1 dps that forgot to unequip their fishing pole
2 that forgot to download the patch before raid time
1 mouth breather
1 person that likes to talk to all the npcs, before they should

Bodasafa
03-17-2010, 04:21 PM

1 ninja AFKer
1 eating while playing
1 mouth breather

That made me laugh really hard.

Bashal
03-18-2010, 07:04 AM
Lol Quin. Nice one. I'm sure we've all seen those folks before, maybe even still run with some of 'em. :P

Quinafoi
03-18-2010, 09:45 AM
Ok, the joke was simply meant to show that what you bring matters relatively little so long as you meet the basic needs. So joking aside here is what you really need...

You need at least 2 tanks. They won't always both be tanking so they should have a second spec, usually DPS. For example Dreamwalker is quite easily solo tanked. You also aren't limited to just 2 people that can tank, for example my raid uses two paladins (Prot/Holy and Ret/Prot) for Putricide, yet the retribution main speced paladin does DPS on Rotface while we use a Death Knight for our off tank (kiter). You don't necessarily need that level of flexibility but you need at least two that can tank, one "main" tank that will likely be tanking all the time while the other "off" tank may switch in and out of tanking roles.

You need at least four ranged targets which can include your healers. This means you require at least one ranged DPS. Blood Queen Lanathel for example requires 4 targets at range to soak Bloodbolts. While they may need to run into melee to bite or when linked resulting in melee occasionally taking the splash damage, most of the time you prefer to avoid this unnecessary damage. Festergut will daze one of three ranged targets, so if your raid only brings one then one of your healers is likely to be dazed by Vile Gas and that's simply a fact the remaining healers will have to compensate for. Running with fewer ranged DPS on that particular fight is what makes it a 3 healer fight, if you had 3 ranged DPS, you can likely 2 heal Festergut since healers should never get dazed.

You need at least three people that can heal. All of them should have a second spec generally for DPS. Some encounters you will run with more healers. Some encounters you will run with fewer. For example we can drop down to one healer for Deathbringer Saurfang but given our raid composition we can go as high as five healers on Dreamwalker (to speed the encounter up).

The base raid model is this...

2 Tanks
3 Healers
5 DPS (at least 1 of which is ranged)

These are the "spots" in the raid you need to fill. Depending on the fight you may have 1 tank switch to a different role (like Dreamwalker only requires one tank). And you may also have a healer change to a different role (and if they all have DPS specs depending on the encounter you can vary which one goes DPS to be optimal).

The 10 man I raid in consists of...

Tanks
Paladin: Protection/Holy (Main Tank)
Paladin: Retribution/Protection (DPS / Off Tank)
Healers
Priest: Holy/Shadow
Druid: Restoration/Feral
Shaman: Enhancement/Restoration
DPS
Druid: Balance/Restoration (DPS / Dreamwalker Healer)
Hunter: Survival/Marksmanship
Rogue: Assassination/Combat
Paladin: Retribution/Retribution
Death Knight: Blood/Blood (DPS / Off Tank)

No one raid setup is ideal... it just meets the requirements.

Trork
03-19-2010, 07:58 AM

1 ninja AFKer
1 eating while playing
1 mouth breather

LOL :D

Well, my raids are usually set like this:
Tanks - 1 blood DK (me ^.^), 1 Bear.
Heals - 1 Pally, 1 Shammy, 1 Priest (switches to his dk when we only need 2 heals)
Melee - DK (switches to priest when heals are needed), Enhance Shammy, Rogue.
Ranged - Huntard, Mage, Warlock.

and works alright for us :)

cakez
03-23-2010, 03:59 AM
Hiya, this is by no means the BEST setup but here goes.

Tanks Prot Warr, Prot Pally
Dps Mage, Aff/Destro Lock, MM Hunter, Ele Shaman, Spriest
Healers Holy Pally, Resto Druid, Disc/Holy Priest

Benefits?
- range stacked makes life easier for Saurfang, Putricide, Dreamwalker, Sindragosa? (more casters to soak the debuff so healers dont get it?)
- good buffs and debuffs: only missing a few things like 3% haste from retpally/boom, windfury (useless for this setup anyway)
- has replenishment, vamp embrace (makes heavy aoe dmg fights easier, like queen)

Trexokor
03-23-2010, 06:31 AM
Benefits?
- range stacked makes life easier for Saurfang, Putricide, Dreamwalker, Sindragosa? (more casters to soak the debuff so healers dont get it?)
- good buffs and debuffs: only missing a few things like 3% haste from retpally/boom, windfury (useless for this setup anyway)
- has replenishment, vamp embrace (makes heavy aoe dmg fights easier, like queen)

I disagree with this and would like to clear up some misconceptions from Quinafoi's post. First this post though. Healers will get Unchained Magic no matter what. Having more caster DPS just decreases the frequency that a specific one will get it. It'll always be on one caster DPS and one healer, if such are present.

Also note that Putricide is actually easiest with 3 melee, 3 ranged DPS, even in heroic. The need to move Putricide is negated with 3 DPS in melee range, and is so useful that even the other night when we ran with 4 ranged and 2 melee DPS, we had our Arcane Mage stand in melee to absorb it. The key to trivializing Putricide 10 man heroic is to minimize unpredictable or frequent raid movement, especially when passing by other ranged players.

Saurfang also becomes significantly harder on heroic if you have too many ranged, until the point where you're using 6 ranged DPS. If you're using 0 melee and 6 ranged, it's simple enough because 3 on each side take an add, and it becomes a joke with the healers in the middle.

Second. Every "minimum ranged" mechanic in normal and heroic ICC requires a minimum of 3 people at range, not 4. Bloodbolts requires 3, Vile Gas requires 3 on both Rotface and Festergut, Malleable Goo requires 3, Blood Nova requires 3, and Flame Orb requires 3. There are exceptions, but all of them require less minimum players at range (usually 1, such as Marrowgar's frost trails before they start hitting tanks, or Sindragosa's Unchained Magic, which will simply hit no one if you don't have the requirements).

Therefore, the requirements for ICC include:

- A healer. Likely 2 minimum for current gear and skill level. 3 recommended for newer or less skilled/comfortable groups.
- Enough ranged, including healers, to meet a requirement of 3 ranged for certain mechanics.
- 2 tanks.
- A relatively balanced raid composition of smart players that includes decent buff synergy, if you can help it.

cycloni
03-23-2010, 06:51 AM
Here is what seems to work well for us.

Tanks - Prot War MT, Prot Paladin OT
Melee - Rogue, DK
Caster - Balance Druid, Mage, Aff Warlock
Healer - Resto Druid, Holy Paladin, Resto Shaman (enhance off spec for 2 healer fights)

DK will be running as dw frost with 3.3.3 for better melee syng.