PDA

View Full Version : Warrior Pillars of Might or Boots of Kingly Upheaval or Rowan's Rifle of Silver Bullets

Imriela
03-10-2010, 12:52 PM
So I'm determined to get them both made and buy Rowan's Rifle of Silver Bullets sooner or later. I am torn what order to get them in and if it would be worth it to get all three. I am the main tank for my guild (newly formed so not raiding just yet, as I still need to fill my roster). We will be a 10 man raiding guild, no plans to do 25s.

Here's my Armory:
http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Emerald+Dream&cn=Imriela

Any suggestions as to which to get first and why would be greatly appreciated.

If it's any help, prices for these things on my server are around:
Rifle 7.5-8.5K
Boots: 11-13K on AH
Pillars: Never to be seen on AH
Primordial Saronite: 1.4-1.5K each

I plan to get the Cataclysmic Chestguard (Frost chest piece) with Frost Emblems next.

Thanks in advance.

Aggathon
03-10-2010, 01:13 PM
definitely pillars of might imo. they massive amounts of armor makes them pretty much BiS, or at the very least they will get you the most mileage, and won't be replaced quickly. There are better boots out there than the boots of knightly upheaval, I'd suggest if you can't get to those boots, then put this on your wish list, otherwise don't worry about it too much. As for the Rifle, you won't be replacing that soon either, but it isn't a HUGE upgrade from the blades of the sable cross. The pillars will give you the biggest EH gains.

Aggronaught
03-10-2010, 01:19 PM
Pillars of Might are pretty much BiS..but saurfang in 10 man drops a legs(being one of the first 4 bosses..its fairly easy to get these) http://www.wowhead.com/?item=50808

Rifle on the other hand..you do get a block variation from valithria http://www.wowhead.com/?item=51561

Boots..you get one from Sindragosa. http://www.wowhead.com/?item=51787

Id go for the legs first then the rifle...if you are spending money on orbs.

Destruyen
03-10-2010, 01:26 PM
i would get pillars of might first since they are pretty much bis followed by the boots. the crafted boots are pretty much the same as the dreamwalker 25 boots, they just have hit instead of expertise so i guess it's personal choice on those. the gun i would save for last, since it's not that big of an upgrade over the triumph badge thrown weapon, and it could drop off trash some day for you. it seems to have a pretty high drop rate, my guild has had about 6 drop since icc has come out, enough to where i have one for my offspec tank set.

Imriela
03-10-2010, 01:27 PM
but saurfang in 10 man drops a legs(being one of the first 4 bosses..its fairly easy to get these) http://www.wowhead.com/?item=50808

If you look at my Armory, those are the legs I have.

Imriela
03-10-2010, 01:28 PM
and it could drop off trash some day for you. it seems to have a pretty high drop rate, my guild has had about 6 drop since icc has come out, enough to where i have one for my offspec tank set.

Doesn't it only drop in 25man ICC? I don't run 25 man ICC. :(

Destruyen
03-10-2010, 01:56 PM
hmm, good point. but it could drop from a bag you get for the weekly iirc.

Dragaan
03-10-2010, 02:08 PM
Legs.

MellvarTank
03-10-2010, 02:10 PM
Doesn't it only drop in 25man ICC? I don't run 25 man ICC.

No, the 264 items drop in both 10 and 25 unless they changed something in the patch.

Imriela
03-10-2010, 02:10 PM
So I'm sitting here getting the mats together for the Pillars of Might. Just a few more Primordial Saronite and I shall have them :)

Bodasafa
03-10-2010, 02:30 PM
The gun drops from 10 and 25 man trash. All trash drops are shared across both versions.

lewo
03-10-2010, 04:28 PM
i was in the same situation as you, and when i check your gear your legs are really decent, throwing can wait, i'd go for the boots, which will give you the highest upgrade.
if you do icecrown raids quite often the gun will drop from trash or it might drop to your guildie and can give it to you. plus the gun can drop from the icc weekly quest bags.

also you used 10hit 15 stamina gems 3 times, if you get the boots, you'll gain quite good hit, which you can swap these gems into defense stamina or pure stamina gems which will help you more.
second thing is that, you have 32 expertise you don't need to use 10 expertise 15 stam gems, 26 expertise is enough in my opinion.

Imriela
03-10-2010, 04:39 PM
Just got the Pillars made :D :D

also you used 10hit 15 stamina gems 3 times, if you get the boots, you'll gain quite good hit, which you can swap these gems into defense stamina or pure stamina gems which will help you more.
I will be getting the boots made next. Probably in a few days, depending on how fast I can get the Primordial Saronites for a good price.

second thing is that, you have 32 expertise you don't need to use 10 expertise 15 stam gems, 26 expertise is enough in my opinion.

( Edit: With the Pillars of Might, I'm sitting at exactly 26 Expertise now. )

The places I have expertise/stam is for the socket bonus. I'm not a fan of stacking stamina. And in the cases where I use greens and purples to get the socket bonus, I only loose out on around 3-5 stam as compared to gemming pure stam. The advantage of the extra hit and expertise is, in my opinion, worth not stacking all out stamina. If I switched to all Stamina gems, I'd gain around 800 health, which is not worth the cost and I like my hit and expertise a bit too much to do that for 800 health. Some may argue this with me, but that's not the point of this thread. :P

Muffin Man
03-10-2010, 07:13 PM
Grats on the pillars.

[QUOTE=Imriela;387674
If it's any help, prices for these things on my server are around:
Rifle 7.5-8.5K
Boots: 11-13K on AH
Pillars: Never to be seen on AH
Primordial Saronite: 1.4-1.5K each
[/QUOTE]

I did want to comment on this.

Primoridal Saronite and Boots look about the same as my server (I looked last night). Pillars were about 18k for me.

But. The Rifile was 2.2 (there were 4). I wonder what the price disparity is. I'm thinking of picking the rifle up as well. In all our weeks in ICC we've gotten 1 trash drop (strength dps ring), so I'm just waiting for the rifle to drop below 2k :p.

Imriela
03-10-2010, 08:04 PM
Grats on the pillars.

I did want to comment on this.

Primoridal Saronite and Boots look about the same as my server (I looked last night). Pillars were about 18k for me.

But. The Rifile was 2.2 (there were 4). I wonder what the price disparity is. I'm thinking of picking the rifle up as well. In all our weeks in ICC we've gotten 1 trash drop (strength dps ring), so I'm just waiting for the rifle to drop below 2k :p.

Thanks. If the Rifle were sub 3K on my server, I'd snag em without second thought. It's purely the price being around the 8K that's the reason for me not having it yet.

Dragaan
03-10-2010, 11:22 PM
i was in the same situation as you, and when i check your gear your legs are really decent, throwing can wait, i'd go for the boots, which will give you the highest upgrade.

The legs are a bigger upgrade from a survival standpoint. By far.

Dragaan
03-10-2010, 11:31 PM
The places I have expertise/stam is for the socket bonus. I'm not a fan of stacking stamina. And in the cases where I use greens and purples to get the socket bonus, I only loose out on around 3-5 stam as compared to gemming pure stam. The advantage of the extra hit and expertise is, in my opinion, worth not stacking all out stamina. If I switched to all Stamina gems, I'd gain around 800 health, which is not worth the cost and I like my hit and expertise a bit too much to do that for 800 health. Some may argue this with me, but that's not the point of this thread. :P

That's a little confusing, cause the reason for taking pillars of might over the legs you had is to boost EH at the expense of threat stats. Using those legs over the ones that drop off marrowgar25 normal is the opposite of the way you're gearing now.

btw, it's -9stam in most cases when skipping the bonus and sometimes -6stam.

Grats on the legs tho, they are the best choice out of all possible options atm.

Imriela
03-10-2010, 11:51 PM
That's a little confusing, cause the reason for taking pillars of might over the legs you had is to boost EH at the expense of threat stats. Using those legs over the ones that drop off marrowgar25 normal is the opposite of the way you're gearing now.

btw, it's -9stam in most cases when skipping the bonus and sometimes -6stam.

Grats on the legs tho, they are the best choice out of all possible options atm.

I'm gearing overall for effective health, but with sockets, I feel going for socket bonuses and gemming threat stats in red and yellow works well for me. I went into the PTR with all my gear and regemmed every gem to pure stamina; I gained 800 health. And that's with the change to vitality.

Also, I had the legs from Saurfang 10, not the Marrogar 25. I only raid 10 man.

gacktt
03-11-2010, 12:30 AM
Pillars of might is the best in slot.

Boots of upheavel has a lot of equivalents in icc25 and 10hardmodes.

Rowan is not best in slot.

I never buy gear for gold, but if you have to, then get the pillars, you will not replace them until cataclysm.

Imriela
03-11-2010, 12:55 AM
OK, for those of you mentioning equivalents in ICC25 to the boots. Might I say again that I do not nor will I run ICC25.

Dragaan
03-11-2010, 02:40 AM
I'm gearing overall for effective health, but with sockets, I feel going for socket bonuses and gemming threat stats in red and yellow works well for me. I went into the PTR with all my gear and regemmed every gem to pure stamina; I gained 800 health. And that's with the change to vitality.

Also, I had the legs from Saurfang 10, not the Marrogar 25. I only raid 10 man.

I know, I just mentioned the marrowgar25 ones because they drop off the first boss. Figured maybe you have access to loot off him even if you don't run the rest of the instance, since there are many pugs who just go in to kill him. As for the gems, do whatever you feel works best. The 800 hp you gained would come out to a bit more with raid buffs and even more with the 5-30% hp buff in icc. You get more out of your stamina each time they increase that buff. Once you get to harder content (lich king and heroics), you'll realize why ppl tend to go for stam. But as you stated before, this thread isn't about that.

As for the boots, they're great. I don't know how much gold you have to throw around, but if you're one of those super wow-rich people then I'd say go for it. If you don't have too much gold, hold off till sindragosa10. The boots off her are almost as good as the crafted ones. The togc10 boots off twins are also really good and close in quality to the crafted ones (slightly worse than the sindragosa ones).

amity
03-13-2010, 10:28 AM
Grats on Pillars, using them myself and they're great. For boots, they are poorly itemized in comparision to togc10, saurfang10 and valith25. Best to wait it out unless you've got a heapppp of cash to throw around.

Bodasafa
03-13-2010, 11:11 AM
I find the Sabatons of the Lingering Vortex (http://www.wowarmory.com/item-info.xml?i=47952) (Heroic) from ToGC 10 man seem to be very comparable to the new Crafted Boots (probably even better).

Wowhead.com is down right now so I can't link a comparison, however if I recall correctly when I ran the numbers the new crafted ones only gains were +63 hp and some minor avoidance, not very compelling to drop all the gold/saronite on.

Raysere
03-14-2010, 02:53 PM
You'll struggle with expertise using Pillars rather than T10. I'm crafting them, but I'll probably have to swap them out for T10 when I replace my T9 Shoulders or Faceplate of the Honorbound unless I get very very very very lucky and somehow get Grinning Skull Greatboots from Dreamwalker 25 (unlikely with PUGs) and a Facelifter from Putricide 10 soon. Best to check what items you'll realistically have access to and judge which item you'll benefit most from. The itemization in this tier is very awkwardly done.

Mačl
03-15-2010, 05:28 AM
You might consider gemming agi/stam for those red sockets if you want to go for the bonus.
Reaching 26 exp is only a priority if you find you are having trouble with threat. Agi gives a minute bonus to threat, mitigation and avoid. All in all it's nothing to sneeze at.

Dragaan
03-17-2010, 03:23 AM
You'll struggle with expertise using Pillars rather than T10. I'm crafting them, but I'll probably have to swap them out for T10 when I replace my T9 Shoulders or Faceplate of the Honorbound unless I get very very very very lucky and somehow get Grinning Skull Greatboots from Dreamwalker 25 (unlikely with PUGs) and a Facelifter from Putricide 10 soon. Best to check what items you'll realistically have access to and judge which item you'll benefit most from. The itemization in this tier is very awkwardly done.

So get the pillars, and put on an expertise trinket or something when you're tanking aoe trash. Being below the expertise softcap isn't a huge deal anymore. The only fight in ICC where I try to softcap expertise is heroic dreamwalker.

Pillars are too good to pass up.

Inaara
03-17-2010, 11:03 AM
The concensus is correct regarding Pillars of might, they're BiS even compared to heroic T10. Val boots are also BiS, but if you don't have access to it Sindragosa 10 also drops boots. If you're getting T10 chest, Pillars of Might and Rowan's Rifle of Silver Bullets you'll be hard pressed to keep your defense high enough to be uncrittable.

Raysere
03-17-2010, 12:12 PM
So get the pillars, and put on an expertise trinket or something when you're tanking aoe trash. Being below the expertise softcap isn't a huge deal anymore. The only fight in ICC where I try to softcap expertise is heroic dreamwalker.

Yeah I realized that myself after some thought. My justification for keeping above 26 at the least was that quite a few classes with low ramp up time are capable of pulling quite close threat wise in the first ~30 secs of a boss. It the occured to me that such classes, Hunters, Mages, Rets all have pretty effective threat dumps, making it a moot point. Downside being, well, I raid with morons 75% of the time. They won't watch their threat. But well, why should I have to compensate for their inattentiveness?

The concensus is correct regarding Pillars of might, they're BiS even compared to heroic T10. Val boots are also BiS, but if you don't have access to it Sindragosa 10 also drops boots. If you're getting T10 chest, Pillars of Might and Rowan's Rifle of Silver Bullets you'll be hard pressed to keep your defense high enough to be uncrittable.

Yes, been doing a lot of thinking the last few days on optimal gearsets from the content I have access to. The biggest issue by far is that I fall below the defence cap with Crafted boots and legs plus T10 chest. The solutions I have so far:-

1. T10 chest, Pillars and Grinning Skull Greatboots - requires access to Valithria 25
2. Cataclysmic Chestguard, Pillars, Boots of kingly - Sacrifices 4pcT10.
3. T10 chest, Pillars, Sindragosa10 Boots - Boots are a slight downgrade from Boots of Kingly.
4. T10 Chest + Legs, (offset gloves, shoulders or Head) - No pillars, huge sacrifice as they are by far the biggest upgrade offset piece. Undesirable solution.
5. Pillars, T10chest, Boots of Kingly + gem def up to cap in yellow sockets w/ stam bonuses. - Yuck. This makes my inner perfectionist very sad.

My next step is to find which of the non-optimal solutions come out on top in terms of survival/mitigation benefit. If anyone has any better combinations (especially for those with no 25 man access past first 4) please let me know.

Inaara
03-17-2010, 12:20 PM
Yes, been doing a lot of thinking the last few days on optimal gearsets from the content I have access to. The biggest issue by far is that I fall below the defence cap with Crafted boots and legs plus T10 chest. The solutions I have so far:-

1. T10 chest, Pillars and Grinning Skull Greatboots - requires access to Valithria 25
2. Cataclysmic Chestguard, Pillars, Boots of kingly - Sacrifices 4pcT10.
3. T10 chest, Pillars, Sindragosa10 Boots - Boots are a slight downgrade from Boots of Kingly.
4. T10 Chest + Legs, (offset gloves, shoulders or Head) - No pillars, huge sacrifice as they are by far the biggest upgrade offset piece. Undesirable solution.
5. Pillars, T10chest, Boots of Kingly + gem def up to cap in yellow sockets w/ stam bonuses. - Yuck. This makes my inner perfectionist very sad.

My next step is to find which of the non-optimal solutions come out on top in terms of survival/mitigation benefit. If anyone has any better combinations (especialy for those with no 25 man access past first 4) please let me know.

I can't bring myself to craft the boots, without the bonus armor that T10 and Pillars offer it just isn't worth it. With my current gear I'm sitting at 540 exactly (just upgraded t10 shoulders to 264) but I cannot equipe Rowan's rifle without dropping to 534, 2 defense lower than what I need using the 30 stam/15 res chant on shoulders. The only option available is to gem 10 def/15 stam which isnt that much of a sacrifice.

Imriela
03-17-2010, 12:22 PM

For the chest piece, I plan on getting my Cataclysmic Chestguard from Frost Emblems by the end of this coming weekend. After I get that, I'd like to get the T10 helm and shoulders for the 2 piece bonus. Once I have those, my last purchase will be the trinket (corroded skeleton key); or would you recommend getting the trinket before my two pieces of T10?

Inaara
03-17-2010, 12:38 PM
For the chest piece, I plan on getting my Cataclysmic Chestguard from Frost Emblems by the end of this coming weekend. After I get that, I'd like to get the T10 helm and shoulders for the 2 piece bonus. Once I have those, my last purchase will be the trinket (corroded skeleton key); or would you recommend getting the trinket before my two pieces of T10?

I would actually recommend that you not get Cataclysmic Chestpiece. The Warrior 4 piece is great and some would argue that it's even a requirement for Sindragosa and LK, which I agree with. Taking that into consideration the T10 chest is your BIS since you'll be using Pillars of Might and need to fill out your 4-piece with head, shoulders, chest and gloves.

Bodasafa
03-17-2010, 12:49 PM
If your worried about expertise check out this thread: http://www.tankspot.com/showthread.php?62749-Tank-Expertise-Gear-List-for-3-3&highlight=exppertise+gear+list

Muffin Man
03-17-2010, 12:50 PM

I'm curious why Dreamwalker?

I found that the high priority targets (Blazing Skeleton, AM, Supressors) all may as well be untanked, giving you plenty of time to build aggro on Zombies and Aboms.

I'll probably add that my experience is 10 man where the AM's melee is pitiful when he's not being stunlocked. And I'm kind of bad at stopping the Blazing Skeleton from launching that first fireball anyways.

Raysere
03-17-2010, 12:50 PM
I can't bring myself to craft the boots, without the bonus armor that T10 and Pillars offer it just isn't worth it. With my current gear I'm sitting at 540 exactly (just upgraded t10 shoulders to 264) but I cannot equipe Rowan's rifle without dropping to 534, 2 defense lower than what I need using the 30 stam/15 res chant on shoulders. The only option available is to gem 10 def/15 stam which isnt that much of a sacrifice.

I had the boots crafted to replace the pair I had from FoS Heroic, I'm not always the most fortunate with loot relying on PuGs rather then a steady guild so sometimes its easier to just throw gold at things. If I replaced them tomorrow I wouldn't be torn up over it, they've served me pretty well. If I'd gone into ICC with full 245+ gear I'd likely have taken a different approach and bought Pillars right off the bat.

What you need to remember is that 2pcT10 is just a threat bonus. If you aren't falling behind on threat now then strictly speaking you don't really need it. I'm going for the 4 piece, but am in no hurry to have the 2 piece active if I have better choices.

Imriela
03-17-2010, 01:19 PM
I would actually recommend that you not get Cataclysmic Chestpiece. The Warrior 4 piece is great and some would argue that it's even a requirement for Sindragosa and LK, which I agree with. Taking that into consideration the T10 chest is your BIS since you'll be using Pillars of Might and need to fill out your 4-piece with head, shoulders, chest and gloves.

Really? I kept reading that the offset pieces were best to get first, and then work on the T10 and that the T10 4 piece wasn't all that great.
Also, keep in mind that I'm in a 10 man strict guild, so I won't get 264 T10 until we start on Hard Modes, I'll be with 251 T10 before that once I start getting my T10.

Inaara
03-17-2010, 01:25 PM
Really? I kept reading that the offset pieces were best to get first, and then work on the T10 and that the T10 4 piece wasn't all that great.
Also, keep in mind that I'm in a 10 man strict guild, so I won't get 264 T10 until we start on Hard Modes, I'll be with 251 T10 before that once I start getting my T10.

Ahh yes I forgot all about that even though I was mentioning the 10 man loot lol. Since that's the case go with Cataclysmic Chestguard all the way. Survivability really isn't an issue at all in the 10 man setting although it will prove to be more difficult when you start the heroics.

Imriela
03-17-2010, 02:56 PM
OK, so I was on the right track with Cataclysmic Chestguard, then T10 helm and shoulders, then the Corroded Skeleton Key?
I have the Frost Emblem belt, cloak, and gloves already.

Inaara
03-17-2010, 03:42 PM
After the chest replace the slots that would be the biggest upgrade. Also keep running VoA 10 and 25 for the legs and gloves. If you don't get pillars crafted you can still achieve your 4 piece while using Cataclysmic Chestguard.

Imriela
03-17-2010, 03:50 PM
I've already had Pillars crafted; they were made the day I started the thread. ;)

swelt
03-17-2010, 05:19 PM
I would actually recommend that you not get Cataclysmic Chestpiece. The Warrior 4 piece is great and some would argue that it's even a requirement for Sindragosa and LK, which I agree with.
In no way is the 4pc a requirement for either encounter. Sindragosa you are better off wearing the extremely cheap, craftable frost resistance chest piece than any 4pc bonus. Lich King's soul reaper can be handled in as many ways as you can skin a cat, and relying on a warriors personal cooldowns is certainly not top of the list (unless you are talking about Intervene with Safeguard).