PDA

View Full Version : Tanking T10 defense rating

Ogubugu
03-10-2010, 03:26 AM
I am having problems with this new t10 gear(251). The chest does not give any defense rating. I am also using Pillars of Might for leggings which does not have defense rating too. I am trying to keep 540 def with gems. Should i use 30 sta. 15 res. shoulder ench? I beileve 15 res. reduces 540 down to 536. And i am planing to to use cloak 16 def. and shield 20 def. instead of using gems for defense. Any suggestions?

Spiff
03-10-2010, 05:48 AM
What i've noticed about going for the 4p t10 bonus with the the Pillars of Might, you either need some key peices with high def on them, or to enchant chest/shield/cloak with Def. With the enchants it shouldn't be a problem. An Armory link might provide more insight.

Ogubugu
03-10-2010, 06:59 AM
here is the link

http://eu.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Balnazzar&cn=Ogubugu

MellvarTank
03-10-2010, 08:49 AM
You should pretty much always use the PvP shoulder enchant, 300 health is 300 health. :D

I would say if you are having defense rating issues, definitely enchant your shield for it over gemming. You only lose 18 stam enchanting the shield, vs. 30 stam with a pure def. gem. ;)

Insahnity
03-10-2010, 05:34 PM
Although I somewhat disagree with MelvarTank, the point he is trying to make is valid. It boils down to item budget.

To get 20 dodge and 15 defense, you would need 2 gems (one pure 20 dodge and one blue quality defense). The same PVP shoulder enchant is also 2 gems (one 30 stam and one blue quality pvp resilience gem). Back in ToC days, both dodge and defense were less than optimal stats, which is why we took the pvp enchant, even though the 15 resilience was useless. Now in ICC days, the defense is not so useless, so the PVE and the PVP are on par with each other. Given your setup, I would personally I pick the PVE enchant,as losing its defense bonus would mean having to sacrifice stamina elsewhere to stay defense capped. My rational is that 20 dodge is more useful than 15 resilience, and I weigh the 15 defense as much as 30 stam when you are struggling to keep up 540 defense.

Keeping along the items budget, the worst budget is the 18 stamina. Its a TBC enchant budgeted for TBC days. 18 stam is a green quality gem, where as 20 defense is worth an epic gem. Switch the shield first. Next is the chest, which is a NON-SCALING health enchant, worth less about as much as a blue quality stam gem (24 stam), where as 22 defense to chest is worth MORE than an epic gem. If you factor those in, plus the added stats you get by upgrading to T10, these enchants will make sense than blind stam stacking.

So to review, switch out your enchants in the following order:
1) Shield
2) Chest
3) Shoulder (optional)

to ensure you stay def capped. And maybe, just maybe, with the additions, you switch some of your 20 def gems for 10 def/15 stam, so that you are as close to 540 as possible.

Passive
03-11-2010, 04:40 AM
Note that with the PVP shoulder enchant you only need 537 defense skill to not be critted. Also, 20 defense could be used on the cloak. If you change to the PVP shoulder enchant you could probably lose that awful 20 defense gem. Even then, if you still need defense, i would suggest 20 defense on a shield - swapping an 18 stam enchant for a 20 defense one is better than swapping a 30 stam gem for a 20 def gem.

Ogubugu
03-11-2010, 05:16 AM
Alright cool. Thanx all for the advises.

Ajire
03-11-2010, 07:10 AM
Why use the T10 chest piece at all? I certainly don't plan on it at this point, for this exact reason (I'm personally aiming for the Cataclysmic Chestguard (http://www.wowhead.com/?item=50968)). Having to gem/enchant for defense removes a certain amount of flexibility in my gear that I like to have to tweak my other stats.

Mashneck
03-11-2010, 03:26 PM
Yea in all honesty. I went from ghoul commanders cuirass (i know you're talking t10 but they have similar specs) to cataclysmic chestguard and the loss in avoidence going from pure avoidence with decent defence to a chest with pure defence was less than 1% (for dodge and parry combined). So the specs on the t10 would probably make the avoidence on the t10 chest and cataclysmic the same. Best setup for t10 4set is: Pants, shoulders, helm, and gloves IMO. Plus look at all the tasty expertise you get with this setup =p.

Bodasafa
03-11-2010, 03:35 PM
The short answer is the 4pc bonus is not worth it at the ilvl 251 gear stage. The badge items are superior in every slot even without having a 4pc bonus.

The tier only becomes a better option when you have x4 tokens to upgrade 4 items to the ilvl 264. Then the 4pc bonus is worth getting.

MellvarTank
03-11-2010, 03:41 PM
/agree

The armor on the 264 gloves/chest is nothing to ignore. Most damage in the earlier wings of ICC is physical, though the stam upgrades from the badge gear are minor, the armor is not. Unless you can upgrade those pieces right away, they really aren't worth it over the off-set items.