PDA

View Full Version : Tanking Tanking Chest Enchant - Guild Debate

PBS
03-09-2010, 10:59 AM
I picked up the T9 emblem chest piece last night and was in the process of getting it gemmed/enchanted. I asked one of my guildies for the +275 health enchant, which sparked a huge debate (everyone vs. me) about whether or not I should get the +10 all stats vs the +275 health. The enchanter literally gave me the stats buff for free because he didn't want me to use the health enchant THAT badly :eek:

My points:
- More EH
- Virtually 60% of the stats buff is wasted on int, spirit, and strength

Their points:
- Stats means more threat (from agility)
- Adding to stam instead of eh is better since it will scale with raid buffs

Personally, I don't see the big deal about scaling with raid buffs. Even if your raid was increasing your stam by one-freaking-hundred percent, that would still only give you a stam boost of 10, meaning you're getting a total of 200 hp from the enchant. And, in reality, you're not getting anything CLOSE to that...

Granted, I really don't know how the theory pans out in practice, I'm just basically going off of what I read here and from tankingtips.com, but health still seems like the better enchant in most cases to me.

Thoughts?

Bashal
03-09-2010, 11:03 AM
+10 stats, even with Kings scaling, is barely anything to get excited about for a tank.

Really, honestly... +275 health is the tanking chant if you don't need the +def chant. It may not scale with kings, but still provides more health than +10 stats.

MellvarTank
03-09-2010, 11:03 AM
10 stam is roughly 100 hp, with kings that is 110hp.... or 275 health? Yeah, I'll stick with the health.

Oh yeah, and if 11 agility makes or breaks your threat... you have other issues.

Kazeyonoma
03-09-2010, 11:36 AM
what MellvarTank said,

lets do all of the math:
10 stam * 1.09 (3.3.3.3.3.3..3 patch update to Vitality) * 1.1 (kings) = 11.99 and assume it rounds up to 12 for some reason, that's still only 120 hp vs 275.

and yes, 11 agi and 11 or so str is NOT going to suddenly up your threat. Terrible terrible terrible.

Don't let non-tanks tell you how to gear.

PBS
03-09-2010, 11:46 AM
K, thanks all for your input and confirming my sanity. Since I'm just running heroics for the time being, its really not a huge deal, but I'm making a big push to get icc10 geared so I need to optimize this stuff as much as possible.

275 health here I come.

Kazeyonoma
03-09-2010, 12:55 PM
Part of why they probably are complaining is the shiny "new" feel of the +10 stats versus the OLD OLD OLD +275 health enchant, but the fact is, with all gearing, whether it be healing/dps or tanking, is making smart choices, and sometimes that means using old stuff like the Greatness Deck, or an old enchant like 275 health or +18 stam, or sticking to an old tier trinket. It's not always "newer ilvl = better enchant!" or in more commonplace discussions now adays "higher gearscore = better player" -_-'

Mashneck
03-09-2010, 01:45 PM
275 health is the bee's knee's and the cats pyjamas. =) 10 stats is nice if you're a dps class.

Dragaan
03-10-2010, 12:22 AM
275 hp >>>>> 10stats when gearing for survival. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise. Direct them to this post, and this site in general, if they are interested in educating themselves a bit more.

Dragaan
03-10-2010, 12:28 AM
Hmm...you didn't mention what class you play. If you're a warrior or dk, then the health enchant is best. If you're a paladin, the 10stats enchant is a bit more attractive but the health is still considered best. If you're a druid, then 275hp is NOT the best enchant. 10stats is a lot more attractive to a druid tank than is it for the plate tanks, but actually 18stam (from the leatherworking armor kit) is the best choice for raw hp.

Aggathon
03-10-2010, 12:18 PM
I'll agree with the druid enchant that 18 stam is better for druids, however for pallies 275 HP is still better than 10 stats (or 18 stam).

Imriela
03-10-2010, 01:29 PM
making smart choices, and sometimes that means using old stuff like ... +18 stam [to shield] It's not always "newer ilvl = better enchant!"

Yeah, I mean. +18 Stam to shield is a TBC enchant, yet it's still the best EH enchant for us even in ICC now. It's not always about having the newest and shiniest, or even the highest ilvl for us. *cough* Onyxia trinket *cough*

beartanker
03-10-2010, 02:00 PM
Hmm...you didn't mention what class you play. If you're a warrior or dk, then the health enchant is best. If you're a paladin, the 10stats enchant is a bit more attractive but the health is still considered best. If you're a druid, then 275hp is NOT the best enchant. 10stats is a lot more attractive to a druid tank than is it for the plate tanks, but actually 18stam (from the leatherworking armor kit) is the best choice for raw hp.

I currently have the ToC 25 breastplate (Towering Monstrosity) and am leaning toward +275 health. All I am doing right now is tanking rep runs and Prince Keleseth when the need arises.

Armory: http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Alleria&cn=Dismembering

Dragaan
03-11-2010, 05:16 AM
I'll agree with the druid enchant that 18 stam is better for druids, however for pallies 275 HP is still better than 10 stats (or 18 stam).

I said the hp enchant is still considered best for pallies. The 10stats enchant is a little better for them than it is for warriors tho, just cause they get more dodge from the agil (and I think crit as well?).

Baalim
03-11-2010, 06:03 AM
It's always great when a dps class trys to tell me how to gear, spec, and/or play....

As others have said, you'll get more mileage out of the HP enchant.

Gnurken
03-12-2010, 03:58 AM
Would never consider +10stats on a tanking chest. 275hp (I only have 22def on my Anub-set)