PDA

View Full Version : Tanking Feral Tank Extra Threat Trick

Fc-Silvermoon
03-09-2010, 03:41 AM
Ok , so here is something i was thinking about yesterday , and im looking forward to hear others people thought about it.

So, lets say we are in a boss fight with 2 tanks on the boss , who are switching between each other. Gormok for example.

Im one of the tanks , feral druid , and there is a tank X aswell , doesnt matter what class. Tank X starts tanking. While he is tanking , i switch into cat form, build up 5 combos , use Savage Roar. I build up 5 more combos , but don't use them yet. I switch into Bearform and start stacking Lacerate and refreshing it all the time. When its my time to taunt, i switch into cat , put rip with the 5 combos that are already there , put a rake aswell , go into Bearform and taunt. So now i have a full rip , a rake , and a 5 stack lacerate on the boss. Correct me if im wrong , but rip and rake that are currently running on the boss are getting the Bearform threat multiplier , right? So shouldnt this tactic be a really nice threat boost for starting on this kind of bosses?

Muffin Man
03-09-2010, 05:30 PM
Most dots 'lock in' the current values when they're applied.

That is, if you throw a dot up then Darkmoon Card Greatness procs (as an example) the ticks will not get any stronger.

Presumably this will be the same deal with threat modifiers. But I don't know...

Knowing nothing about Bear tanking, I'd say it's possible this will work anyways, since you're getting an extra dot for free on the boss.

Miste
03-09-2010, 06:26 PM
Yes, that would work. Threat is calculated in real time based on damage done.

It's not really necessary though. Mangle+Lacerate+Maul should be enough to lock threat in on any single target fight. You should have a full rage bar when you swap, so threat should never be an issue.

Banterloft
03-09-2010, 07:20 PM
Seems like alot of work when taunt +rage dump works just fine

Darksend
03-09-2010, 08:21 PM
Most dots 'lock in' the current values when they're applied.

wrong.

If you moonfire then go bear the dot ticks of moonfire will get the bear form threat. Same should be true with cat dots (I have posted that I have speculated they do but never actually confirmed it, I have confirmed it with 100% certainty for moonfire and roots)

Skaggi
03-10-2010, 04:54 AM
Aside from the dots I would be wondering about something else. My drood is only in the thirties so forgive me if this is plain BS :)

I know that combopoints drop from the target if you change targets. Do they stay when shifting like described?

Cheers!
skaggi

tuffmuffin
03-10-2010, 05:03 AM
I know that combopoints drop from the target if you change targets. Do they stay when shifting like described?

Cheers!
skaggi
Yes, combo points remain if you shapeshift. And no, they don't drop anymore simply by changing target. You can have combo points on one mob at a time now (instead of your current target) so as long as you don't build combo points on another mob, they remain on the first mob. They changed that when people were QQing about losing their combo points by accidently clicking someone else or off their target completely (A boss in a raid for example).

Muffin Man
03-10-2010, 04:47 PM
wrong.

If you moonfire then go bear the dot ticks of moonfire will get the bear form threat. Same should be true with cat dots (I have posted that I have speculated they do but never actually confirmed it, I have confirmed it with 100% certainty for moonfire and roots)

Well I specifically mentioned I wasn't sure if this was true of threat.

But for things like crit, ap, bonus damage. Those *do* get locked in the vast majority of cases. Which was one reason why new means of refreshing dots usually is an unintended dps boost. (See Glyph of Pestilence and DK procs).

Thorngrip
03-13-2010, 09:48 AM
What I'm asking myself is how this is any different from what a feral should do already on a tank-switching fight...

* If I'm not tanking anything I go cat and do as much damage as possible.
* Once I need to tank I go bear and taunt. Without any particular worry about threat because well, threat is hardly ever an issue when you taunt off another tank, unless that other tank keeps going full steam and manages to overaggro you. But in that case he's doing something wrong which he should not.
* That said it's interesting that the kitty dots have the bear threat modifier applied to them, I did not know this. It could be helpful to know in some situations (and I've certainly put up plenty of 5 pt rips in my time that have then ticked while i'm in bear form).