PDA

View Full Version : The Weekly Marmot -- Cataclysm Update

Ciderhelm
03-04-2010, 04:18 AM
FLWeb7Hwm-4

http://www.tankspot.com/snowfall/donorbanner.jpg (http://www.tankspot.com/premium.php)

Foin
03-04-2010, 05:47 AM
Interesting. Looking forward to more info on skill mastery.

Holyprincess
03-04-2010, 06:08 AM
So with this ability we tanks will be able to change lets say expertise to hit to compensate for the Tier bosses difficult ? Also now with Blizz saying that there will be 1 hand Str. weapons (on mmo today) will this create a new way for tanks to get weapons ? With drop rates being what they are i had to use Shiver until Facelifter dropped off of the Professor will i be able to snatch a "dps" weapon and reforge it for some tanking fun ?
For the Horde
HolyPrincess

Feranel
03-04-2010, 08:23 AM
Through talents, Haste will increase the Mana Return of Ret Paladins and Enhancement Shamans.

hellokitti
03-04-2010, 09:41 AM
:DFunny beginning...made me LOL...reminded me of my 4 year old (minus the Damn It! comment) Now, back to actually watching the Marmot...

Motionlotion
03-04-2010, 10:06 AM
Blizzard commented on how attack power like spell power isn't going to go away entirely. Like spell power, attack power is probably only going to be on weapons or may only be an attack power modifier based off of item level for druids unless they figure out how to change the cat/bear form dmg mechanic to remove the need for it.

Righteous Fury will most certainly now be something you have to spec into farely far into the prot tree to obtain since they don't need to change into a stance or form to tank.

kubejunkie
03-04-2010, 11:45 AM
Righteous fury as deep talent? like BoS or holy shield is right now? that doesnt seem to make sense.. how else would a paladin tank well in the early dungeons. Mabye the 6% reduction talent be farther or have the uncritable option farther down but i would assume that it wouldnt remove the spell from the standard spell list. Same would work with the Dk's they get their frost presence fairly early so they can tank immediatly from when they leave the DK starting zone. I noticed that ever since i started getting some of the Higher Tier gear I almost ignore Def. and im still about 20 skill over uncrittable. im happy they are getting rid of it as i would rather focus on avoidance than defense. only reason it is still good after cap is the bonus it gives to block parry and dodge stats.

Tottė
03-04-2010, 12:18 PM
Awesomeness

Machus
03-04-2010, 07:34 PM
I'd be interested to see how warriors and paladins value Dodge, Parry, and Block in Cataclysm. I can see another debate of the size of "EH vs. avoidance" coming, which would be a good thing of course.

Svarogg
03-04-2010, 08:19 PM
I dont see them turning RF into a Deep prot talent and I dont see them seperating the reduction either. If they are to do anything with RF i would think they turn it into a spell you learn with ranks adding the damage reduction so that it will be a Prot only skill/spell

Mangea
03-04-2010, 09:19 PM
Casting Righteous Fury is just like going into Defensive Stance, Bear Form, or Frost Presence. It's going to be available to every paladin. Something to consider is whether it's going to have a similar combat penalty for paladins that the tanking stances have for the other tanking classes. Otherwise Ret and Holy paladins would use it in PvP for crit reduction, and that would just be silly. So either the devs apply a combat penalty to RF, or put the anti-crit benefit deep into the Protection tree (which wouldn't make sense if they want all specs of paladins to be viable tanks for 5 mans), or they do something completely different that will totally surprise all of us here in a way that's wonderful and makes perfect sense.

@ Machus, regarding EH vs. Avoidance, I completely agree. It'll be time to redo all the theorycrafting. There's so much to consider, but Blizzard has been really clear about wanting healers to have to care about their mana again. This means they have to be smart about their heals, and this also means we as tanks need to be extremely conscious again of our gearing strategy. We'll need to take into account whether our healers are running OOM or not. If they are, we'll need more avoidance. If we're dying too quickly, we'll need more EH. I guess in a way this is the same strategy that the smart tanks have been using all along, only now it'll be even clearer. People won't be able to hold EH up as the measuring stick for tanks anymore.

Svarogg
03-05-2010, 05:04 AM
Ok now correct me if im wrong but since when does RF effect your crit reduction? After 1 80 Prot Pal and 75 Prot pal im pretty sure RF has nothind to do with crit reduction. It only reduces incoming damage by 2/4/6%. If im correct the only class to have a talent that reduces any crit damage is Bear druids.I mean i have had instances where i dropped a few peices of tank gear for ret to do more damage because we had an awesome healer that could keep me up when i was under the def cap. So my defense was around 525ish and with RF on I was still getting crit'd.So that leads me to believe that the only thing RF does for Prot Paladins is increase Holy threat generation and Reduce incoming damage when talented.

drae
03-05-2010, 02:53 PM
Ok now correct me if im wrong but since when does RF effect your crit reduction? After 1 80 Prot Pal and 75 Prot pal im pretty sure RF has nothind to do with crit reduction. It only reduces incoming damage by 2/4/6%. If im correct the only class to have a talent that reduces any crit damage is Bear druids.I mean i have had instances where i dropped a few peices of tank gear for ret to do more damage because we had an awesome healer that could keep me up when i was under the def cap. So my defense was around 525ish and with RF on I was still getting crit'd.So that leads me to believe that the only thing RF does for Prot Paladins is increase Holy threat generation and Reduce incoming damage when talented.

It's a new cata change.

I definitely foresee the new RF deep in the prot tree, same as I see the un-critable aspect of defensive stance deep in the tree. Otherwise it would be far to easy for dps to become un-critable - which would give huge advantages to not tank spec but possible to tank classes. Imagine if an arms warrior, or holy paladin were un-critable in PvP! Nah it will have to be deep in the tree. The only problem I see is DK's; which are supposed to tank in all three trees... 3 individual talents? Then every tank could be un-critable for pvp.

Un-critable isn't a huge deal in lower instances, it's very possible to tank every NORMAL dungeon without being un-critable, so it won't have a huge effect in lower level dungeons.

Kantos
03-06-2010, 02:12 AM
Instead of RF reducing damage, it'll reduce crit. It's not that shocking or new or different.

It's in prot tree right now, and if you pvp you're probably specced into it. So no reason to worry, even if they make it a stance, it'll all be the same. They aren't going to completely disregard everything and mush it all together... most of this game isn't changing, just a few things taken out and distributed into other things.

lubz
03-06-2010, 04:13 AM
I'm wondering how haste will work for arms warriors as they are already swimming in rage and will recieve close-to-0 improvement from more of it

Fetzie
03-07-2010, 06:35 AM
It's a new cata change.

I definitely foresee the new RF deep in the prot tree, same as I see the un-critable aspect of defensive stance deep in the tree. Otherwise it would be far to easy for dps to become un-critable - which would give huge advantages to not tank spec but possible to tank classes. Imagine if an arms warrior, or holy paladin were un-critable in PvP! Nah it will have to be deep in the tree. The only problem I see is DK's; which are supposed to tank in all three trees... 3 individual talents? Then every tank could be un-critable for pvp.

Un-critable isn't a huge deal in lower instances, it's very possible to tank every NORMAL dungeon without being un-critable, so it won't have a huge effect in lower level dungeons.

imp RF etc would only have to grant 6% crit avoidance / provide immunity to critical hits from PvE sources, PvP crit rates are much higher than crit rates from PvE mobs.