PDA

View Full Version : Death Knight Death Grip now has a 8 yards minimum range.

Proletaria
03-03-2010, 08:31 AM
Can anyone on the PTR confirm if this disallows the use of the spell while in melee range of a target?

Seems like this would be a very poor change if that is the case. Looks like dark command glyph may become mandatory soon. I can't imagine tanking deathwhisper, festergut, putricide, sindragosa, or the lich king with one taunt (yay spell hit table) usable unless i could move 8 yards and completely reposition the boss.

Derugash
03-03-2010, 09:04 AM
I just tried, you cannot use it period when you're below 8 yards on the PTR. I hope this stays away from live. I suppose I could ignore the glyph and run away from festergut if my taunt misses, but the resulting boss repositioning would be unpleasant at best.

Proletaria
03-03-2010, 09:11 AM
Indeed, repositioning on the encounters I listed would be upsetting to the raid at best, and disasterous at worst (really, it's asking to wipe on a hardmode).

It's sad, but I can certainly see this going live given blizzard's sordid history of letting pvp changes wreck our tanking functionality. /mourn the loss of our major glyph slot

Acidbaron
03-03-2010, 09:21 AM
I do see this as a great annoyance, as not only on boss fights but trash pulls aswel.

Restriction of a min. range is going to cause some headaches at times.

Reev
03-03-2010, 09:31 AM
It is annoying to have to glyph for taunt, and is a bad mechanic, imo. That said, it is something all the other tank classes do. It's not hard to switch the glyph in and out for encounters with important taunts.

Proletaria
03-03-2010, 09:38 AM
It is annoying to have to glyph for taunt, and is a bad mechanic, imo. That said, it is something all the other tank classes do. It's not hard to switch the glyph in and out for encounters with important taunts.

Yet all the tanks currently have at least two taunts. Warriors also have vigilance and mocking blow. Why would deathknights be left as the sole tank with but one taunt? I fully realize that most tanks glyph taunt anyhow, but this is just an awful, awful solution to whatever problem they saw with DG.

Steakdinner
03-03-2010, 10:48 AM
Warriors and druids also have an aoe taunt that dks lack. Paladins also have the ability to multi-taunt. Blizzard seems to cater too much to pvpers, raiders don't want their roles hurt because of some idiot complaining that pvp is unfair.

Proletaria
03-03-2010, 10:51 AM
This just in:

This was an unintended change as a result of a bug trying to fix something else. Death Grip won't change between 3.3.2 and 3.3.3. This was an unintended change as a result of a bug trying to fix something else. Death Grip won't change between 3.3.2 and 3.3.3.
-GC

/thread

Bashal
03-03-2010, 10:54 AM
They could have just removed the "yank him over here" part of DG within 8 yards, but kept the fixate/taunt part functional. >.>

Derugash
03-03-2010, 11:08 AM
This just in:

This was an unintended change as a result of a bug trying to fix something else. Death Grip won't change between 3.3.2 and 3.3.3. This was an unintended change as a result of a bug trying to fix something else. Death Grip won't change between 3.3.2 and 3.3.3.
-GC

/thread

wewt!

Bashal
03-03-2010, 11:09 AM
A relief to DKs everywhere, I'm sure. :)

Aggathon
03-03-2010, 11:22 AM
Yet all the tanks currently have at least two taunts. Warriors also have vigilance and mocking blow. Why would deathknights be left as the sole tank with but one taunt? I fully realize that most tanks glyph taunt anyhow, but this is just an awful, awful solution to whatever problem they saw with DG.

Actually challenging shout and mocking blow are not taunts. They are fixates, and does not give you the threat of the highest person on the table, rather it just forces the boss to attack you for a little bit while you wait for taunt to come back up. I kind of agree with vigilance, and for tank swap fights it's amazing, but if you're trying to taunt adds off of dps that don't have vigilance on them, then it doesn't really work to well.

Edgewalker
03-03-2010, 11:31 AM
Actually challenging shout and mocking blow are not taunts. They are fixates, and does not give you the threat of the highest person on the table, rather it just forces the boss to attack you for a little bit while you wait for taunt to come back up. I kind of agree with vigilance, and for tank swap fights it's amazing, but if you're trying to taunt adds off of dps that don't have vigilance on them, then it doesn't really work to well.

With the frequency of most tank swaps your threat values will generally turn a fixate into a taunt.

Proletaria
03-03-2010, 11:53 AM
Please close this thread