PDA

View Full Version : Tanking 4pc t8 Warrior bonus vs Lich King

fearmemortals
03-01-2010, 11:28 PM
My guild is about to start attempts on LK and i was curious. In p2 for the soul reaper ability can i use my t9 4set to midigate its damage? I'm not sure if soul reaper counts as a magical effect is the trouble.

thanks in advance

edit: that should read 4pc t8 bonus

Stengel
03-02-2010, 12:50 AM
Do not try to tank through Soul Reaper as warrior, especially not in T9 or T8 gear. First hit is physical, second magical while the LK attacks twice as fast. Tank swaps are much safer.

vine
03-02-2010, 05:48 AM
You're really trying to do LK in T8 ? Wow, let us know if you get him down.

Zo
03-02-2010, 09:22 AM
Considering the damage is shadow I would assume so but you're only taking at most 40,000 damage which may or may not cause your healers to shit their pants.

fuddjupp
03-03-2010, 01:16 AM
You survive Soul Reaper either with:

1. A CD like Shild Wall, Pain Suppression, Last Stand... and can tank through it
2. Your 2nd tank taunts immediately after the debuff is placed on the 1st tank. You do this so that the Soul Reaper tank doesn't get the spelldmg AND a following melee hit, you would not survive this.

Bring you best available gear to survive physical damage from LK's melee hits.

drae
03-03-2010, 05:44 AM
A single tank can tank Soul Reaper with a little ingenuity. Ideally a paladin and warrior combo.

The paladin for AD, the warrior for Intervene +safeguard. Paladin tanks LK, warrior intervenes prior to soul reaper exploding each time. 30% less damage suffered by the paladin for a 6 second window. Even if the paladin gets pwnt by a hard melee hit right after, safe guard and AD will make that melee hit do little more then tickle. AND that melee hit may be absorbed by the warrior anyway.

I haven't tried it yet, just something I was discussing with a friend; we're on LK in 25 now, but our guild is running with our other 2 tanks atm.

Aggathon
03-05-2010, 01:30 AM
I don't think you need to use safeguard or cooldowns, a simple taunt rotation is enough.

gacktt
03-05-2010, 02:16 AM
Let the other non-warrior tank handle the lich king 100% of the time, use a safeguard-intervene on every soul reaper, taunting off just makes things more complicated than normal because of all the switches, our DK is never in danger handling LK full time on 25.

drae
03-05-2010, 06:02 AM
I don't think you need to use safeguard or cooldowns, a simple taunt rotation is enough.

Safeguard > Taunt rotations. Hands down. Done it both ways, I'm a huge fan of the safeguard trick. Soul Reaper is entirely trivialized with safeguard, a macro, and power auras.

Roarc
03-05-2010, 08:02 AM
Safeguard rocks for this encounter. It gives the current MT 30% + X damage reduction (we use that + a 2:nd CD, personal or from the raid). The only issue is you need to monitor threat-levels. OT and some dps-classes can be at risk of stealing aggro off the MT in this fight.

I wouldn't bother looking into T8 here. The stats are far too low for it to be worth-while aside from the nice 4-piece bonus. But as someone else said, you're dealing both high magic and high physical burst-damage here. The 4-piece T10 would make some sense but I'd rather have a warrior safeguard the current MT.

Papapaint
03-05-2010, 11:13 AM
Safeguard > Taunt rotations. Hands down. Done it both ways, I'm a huge fan of the safeguard trick. Soul Reaper is entirely trivialized with safeguard, a macro, and power auras.

How do you use power auras for this, and how do you safely intervene during the period after the transition where you still have 1.5 raging spirits still up?

Dragaan
03-05-2010, 12:33 PM

We actually use a taunt rotation AND we use cooldowns for the initial application. The first night we attempted him, we weren't using cooldowns for the initial hit. We just taunted off each other once it was applied. I don't remember any deaths from the initial application that first night, but the 2nd night things changed. I got gibbed on several attempts from the initial application + an instant melee attack. That can kill any tank w/o a cooldown up. From then on, I alternated last stand and shield wall for eating the initial hit (and whatever melee attacks lich king decided to hit me with at about the exact same time) and had the other tank taunt right away. Deaths stopped, we won. MUCH safer this way. Idc who you are, you can get gibbed if you aren't using a cooldown for the initial hit (no matter how fast the other tank is to hit taunt). I was wearing about 36k armor unbuffed and 48k hp unbuffed for the attempts I was referring to.

Intervene+safeguard prevents the whole melee+soul reaper application combo, but the 2nd tick from soul reaper still hurts pretty bad. Still a bit risky w/o the lich king tank using their own cooldown as well each time.

drae
03-05-2010, 02:03 PM
How do you use power auras for this, and how do you safely intervene during the period after the transition where you still have 1.5 raging spirits still up?

How to make it even EASIER on the OT:

Power Auras: Set a debuff aura for Soul Reaper, insure the focus box at the bottom is checked.
Set the MT as your focus.
Make an intervene macro:

#showtooltip Intervene
/cast [taget:focus] Intervene

The picture is my power auras set-up.

Shenron
03-06-2010, 06:22 PM
Taunting is so much easier...

Clementine
03-07-2010, 07:35 AM
If you wait a few weeks, you'll have 30% more HP to tank him in Tier 8. But I think in your case currently swapping tank is better.

Erobinia
03-07-2010, 09:52 AM
However you decide to deal with Soul Reaper, there are at least two options that are better than using T8 gear.

drae
03-07-2010, 12:44 PM
Taunting is so much easier...

Try it first before you make that decision. It is most definitely not easier. It is far simpler to only have one person tank the LK; ask your healers. Also this way I can fully concentrate on valks stuns / tanking sipirts.

I fail to see how it can be easier then a 2m set-up and 1 button press. It doesn't get much easier then one button press. Not liking it doesn't make it more complicated.

fuddjupp
03-08-2010, 05:31 AM
It is definitely easier to switch tanks as less as possible. First your healer' jobs becomes easier and the 2nd tank can assist the raid with everything else happening. The OT can debuff, stun, slow valykrs in phase 2. In phase 3 the OT can take care of some raging spirits and let them explode while dps/heal is on distance.

Warrenar
03-09-2010, 10:05 AM
Safeguard trick sounds interesting, but unless you have an abundance of rogues and hunters for misdirect\tricks it seems there's a very good chance your tank will lose aggro. Even if he is 50-60% above everyone going into phase 2, by phase 3 your going to be calling stop DPS because you've reduced his threat by so much.

Initially I am tanking phase 1 with a paladin off tanking adds.
When phase 2 starts and the paladin taunts....I'm still sitting at 90% of his threat. An intervene on the pally would put the Lich back on me.

Maybe it's just we have good healers, but giving a "Taunting in 3...2...1" seemed to be ample notice for the healers to handle a tank swap. Honestly....this tank swap is nothing compared to the one in 25 ToGC Gormok (in my opinion, have yet to do 25 Lich :))

drae
03-09-2010, 10:23 AM
We don't have any problem with threat, but each raid is different. Our pally tank gets one MD, and rarely gets tricks; threat hasn't been an issue for us.

Either way works fine, I personally prefer safeguard; but taunting is definitely not wrong.

Blitzago
03-09-2010, 10:42 AM
Having done both the taunt + safeguard way, I would say that safeguard is quite a bit easier.

And when the raging spirits are up in the beginning of the phases, I make sure to have my own personal cooldowns + external's we currently have 2 disc priests for him, so I can live through 4 soul reapers on my own, and all of them after that are usually safeguard + cooldowns, which pretty much makes the damage trivial, and if threat does become a problem, call out for them to threat drop, or get a salv on them.

ryofu
03-12-2010, 03:59 AM
I use Sindragosa's flawless fang for the Soul Reaper. I have found that it will be up for most Soul Reaper because it only has a 1 min CD, the huge increase in resistance allows me to resist about 70- 75% of the Soul Reaper shadow damage

drae
03-12-2010, 02:34 PM
If only it would fall for us! I see so many uses for that trinket. I WANTS ONE!

Inaara
03-12-2010, 02:50 PM
Having done both the taunt + safeguard way, I would say that safeguard is quite a bit easier.

And when the raging spirits are up in the beginning of the phases, I make sure to have my own personal cooldowns + external's we currently have 2 disc priests for him, so I can live through 4 soul reapers on my own, and all of them after that are usually safeguard + cooldowns, which pretty much makes the damage trivial, and if threat does become a problem, call out for them to threat drop, or get a salv on them.

We're going to be using the safeguard strat as well but I was wondering about the raging spirit. We were thinking about having the LK tank hold the raging spirit as well and have the raid behind both of them so that 1) the raid doesn't have to move around to get the spirit down and 2) so the warrior tank can safeguard the MT without worrying about blasting the raid. Tank CD's and external CD's (Pain Supression) would be used on the MT while DPS was taking care of the spirit. Would that be a plausible strat or is the incoming damage from both mobs too great to survive through?