PDA

View Full Version : Tanking Potency for weapon?

Imriela
03-01-2010, 06:23 PM
Been a lurker for quite a while (since Summer 09 I think) and finally actually have something to post. :O So yeah, here's to my first post *raises a beer*

I've seen a few tanks (very few) with Potency (+20 Strength) to weapon. What are your thoughts on this? I just got my Bonebreaker Scepter off of Marrogar last night and can't decide what to enchant it with.

http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Emerald+Dream&cn=Imriela

My armoury link if you want to see my overall gear that I run with.

Muffin Man
03-01-2010, 07:06 PM
Potency was en vogue in the early days of LK when block was actually king.

Eg. Heigan hitting for 4 - 5k makes a block pretty attractive. We've rapidly left that with a 'light hitting' bosses hitting for upwards of 10k. Block is still decent on those, but you can't stack it fast enough to keep up with how hard bosses hit.

Now, if you were building a heroic invulnerability set, then Potency will fit right in.

Also I should note, that LK launched with no actual tanking enchants so people were using things like weapon chains, mongoose, ect.

Dreadski
03-01-2010, 08:21 PM
Mongoose or Blood Draining.

Imriela
03-02-2010, 10:37 AM
So Blade Ward isn't even a consideration? :(

Zo
03-02-2010, 10:44 AM
Short answer goes like this:

EH Enchant : Blood Draining
Avoidance Enchant : Blade Ward
Jack of all trades, master of none : Mongoose

I've actually been considering going back to Mongoose myself just because it's an enchant that works both while tanking and when not.

Insahnity
03-02-2010, 10:49 AM
Potency just doesn't cut it.

Everybody else has listed the avoidance alternatives. To compare potency, you are getting 10-11 Shield Block VALUE (not rating). In WoTLK, 10 SBV is peanuts and won't help much.

If you want a threat enchant, the AP enchant is way better even if you factor kings and talents (and in most cases, tanks get more mileage out of weapon chain or Accuracy).