PDA

View Full Version : Paladin Best Gear Enchants at Low (un-gemmable) Levels?

Styrkar
03-01-2010, 02:49 PM
Is there any strong reason for tanks to gear for defense (or dodge/parry/block) versus gearing for stamina/health at the mid-levels where you can't wear gemmable armor? Since you can't even get close to uncrittable, does it matter to balance avoidance when you would have to give up a nice phat health boost? It seems to me that health is useful against casters as well as melee attacks and usually would be preferable. Resilience, of course, is effective against spell and physical damage, but there are few of those enchants for these levels. One last thing: would avoidance be more important in PvP vs PvE?
I have a lvl 40 hum Prot Pally and it will be many months before I reach lvl 70...
Thank you for your recommendations!

Insahnity
03-02-2010, 09:59 AM
At level 40, anything that has defense is a godsend. It's pretty rare to be crit immune from a "boss level" mob at sub-70. Even from 70->80, your defense drops through sheer Defense rating-> Defense erosion.

So yes, if you can get your paws on defense enchants, it is a good thing, and until you are 70 there is no such thing as too much defense (and even that is debatable until 80).

Zo
03-02-2010, 10:08 AM
From my own experience recently leveling up a healer... in that range I'd say go for more dps enchants or stam then defense. I've been leveling up primarily though the LFG system ( WHICH BELIEVE ME HAS ITS UPS AND DOWNS K) and damage taken is already pretty low. You also have to remember eventually you'll out lvl the mobs in the dungeons your running which increases your avoidance / chance to be crit.

Astemus
03-02-2010, 01:56 PM
From my own experience recently leveling up a healer... in that range I'd say go for more dps enchants or stam then defense. I've been leveling up primarily though the LFG system ( WHICH BELIEVE ME HAS ITS UPS AND DOWNS K) and damage taken is already pretty low. You also have to remember eventually you'll out lvl the mobs in the dungeons your running which increases your avoidance / chance to be crit.

Definitely. I just finished leveling up a priest via the lfg tool and the difference between tanks until upper 60s is solely resting on the skill factor. The gear that you tank in until you get up towards the end of the line makes little difference in the outcome. If you are fairly confident in your tanking abilities, go dps all the way. As long as you have the spec, you can use whatever gear you like.

Once you get to outlands, I would start looking at defensive oriented gear/enchants, but before that, whatever you want.