PDA

View Full Version : Tanking ICC Tankadin Gems

Ironoath
02-26-2010, 06:24 AM
Hey guys,

In another thread I was advised to drop my dodge gemming and focus almost entirely on stamina/armor. I've been having a look and blue gems are easy enough (solid majestic zircon FTW) but what about red and yellow ones? Best I can find are +stam and +def ones. Are these recommended?

Hammerfists
02-26-2010, 06:28 AM
Gem all stamina unless the socket bonus is 12 stam then go dodge/stam or defense/stam. Reason for this is avoidance is unpredictable while stam is a constant. On top of the mana shouldnt be an issue, your biggest threat in an encounter is eating 2-3 hits in a row without keeling over. The best thing for tanks are stats that dont rely on chance, consistent damage intake makes for predictable healing, which isnt to say avoidance is crap just that you get plenty from gear.

Ironoath
02-26-2010, 06:38 AM
ok so before I go and splash all my honour/gems on solid zircons, just so as I understand you right:

Regardless of gem colour slot, ALWAYS go with +30 stamina gems unless the socket bonus is +12 stamina?

Aggathon
02-26-2010, 07:48 AM
I'd say +9 stam or better. My general rule as a warrior is only gem yellow slots if they are +12 stam or better, but if it is +9 stam and a red socket then go with a hybrid gem. Also just to be clear, if the socket bonus is +12 but requires 3 gems (usually 1 red, 1 blue, 1 yellow) then it is the same as gemming for 2 +6 stam gems, and instead of only losing 3 stam and gaining the stats, you're losing 18 stam.

Sandraudiga
02-26-2010, 07:57 AM
Hmm... after actually running the alt gem through rawr, I notice the numbers show something alot diff than my personal experience...

Maybe the healers just weren't doing their job, or got better...

Time to regem and test again. This is getting expensive.

Crutchs
02-26-2010, 08:11 AM
Say you had 3 of each slot. So you gained 30 def and 30 agi and that was noticable over the roughly 80 stam you lost?

Aggathon
02-26-2010, 08:25 AM
I personally swapped out every 30 stam gem in red for 10 agil 15 stam, and every 30 stam in yellow to 10 def and 15 stam. I noticed an improvement over simple stam stacking.

I simply dont believe that putting 30 stam in everything is the way to go, through personal experience. Sure, I had an extra 500 to 800 hit points, but I dropped noticeably faster too.

Hrm... interesting I had the exact opposite experience.

Ironoath
02-26-2010, 08:27 AM
cheers for the advice guys, I've basically swapped reds for 15 agility/15 stamina as the armor bonus makes sense and added a couple of +30s to the slots where the socket bonus is not that good. I can always regem again but with ICC tonight I don't want to make a wave of changes being tank and suddenly suck :p

Thanks for the advice tho! :D