PDA

View Full Version : Tanking Frost Resist for tanking Sindragosa10?

Trollock
02-24-2010, 03:09 AM
I tried searching the forum if this has been discussed, but couldnt find anything.

We tried to use 1 tank only for sindragosa, with full frost resist gear. You lose some stats, but you resist ALOT of the frost dmg, making it doable with 1 tank (were lacking dps on the tombs among other things). We never managed to down her (tried for about 2h) though. Is frost resist a valid option? P3 was REALLY slow, so maybe we did something else wrong, and after a while i got killed even with 450 frost resist.

NOTE: no we didnt have frost resist on every one. Only on the tank. Had 3 healers (no paladin :() 1 tank, 2 melee dps and 4 caster dps.

swelt
02-24-2010, 03:19 AM
Several sindragosa threads in the Icecrown strategy section: http://www.tankspot.com/forumdisplay.php?128-Icecrown-Citadel

Trollock
02-24-2010, 03:22 AM
Yes i saw those, but couldnt find anything on the frost resist topic in them...

Fledern
02-24-2010, 04:08 AM
First time we killed him, i initially went in with frost resist boots. I thought that was all i could afford. We did use two tanks. Once we started getting things under control, i put back my proper boots on. With resist boots and the raid resist buffs you get, i got to about 250ish resistance. While a full resist set would ofc make a bigger difference, i really dont think going that way is necessary. This fight is one about control & positioning. Once you get those done, the frost resistance isnt that much of an issue.

I also tried healing an unsuccessful raid there where the tank had no resistance on him. It was unsuccessful for other reasons than tank death or lack of dps. Healing was ofcourse a little tricky but nothing that looked worrying (we never got to p3 though, so i cant say anything when the s**t really hits the fan). I really doubt it's necessary.

Dropping down to 1 tank sounds tempting but it's more about what the rest of your raid does right than needing that extra dps spot. I'll still prefer my normal gear on future fights.

Muroku
02-24-2010, 08:39 AM
We kill Sindragosa every week, using 1 tank/2heal/7dps burn strategy. We just burn the first 2 tombs, then go all out on the boss. We bloodlust at 35% as well.

P3 seems to go very fast, I almost never get above 15 stacks anymore.

Proletaria
02-24-2010, 10:20 PM
We 2 tank it and use full FR gear. Really makes tank healing a breeze. Not sure how 1-tank would work (not saying it isn't possible, i took up to 18 stacks on our25man first kill due to the other tank d/c'ing), but FR gear is immensely useful regardless.

Ubast
02-25-2010, 09:58 AM
First time my guild kill him on 10 man I use full frost and had 417 FrR on damage was small untill I got around the 20 debuff range in which we had him kill shortly after. A lot of the DPS died that first week toward the end due to them not watching there debuffs and killing them selfs. The following week we went with the same strat one tank full FrR gear 2 healers and 7 DPS with everyone living at the end mostly due to DPS watching the debuffs that would kill them and I end up only having about 12 stacks at the end there. So the fight can be done this way but your DPS better be on the ball about there debuffs because they die you not going to get him before the stacks get to high and the damage form his frost breath is to much to haddle.

Kazeyonoma
02-25-2010, 10:54 AM
I 2 tank it with full FR on both tanks. Works fine (we don't have enough ranged dps in our 10 man group to go for the 7 dps full burn strategy).

morelore
02-25-2010, 11:26 AM
I've gone both with and without FR on 10. It does reduce the damage you take from the breath considerably (~2-3k off frost breath with no stacks, more as your stacks grow), but the crippling of my threat and damage output was a deal breaker for us.

Kazeyonoma
02-25-2010, 02:40 PM
what? only 2-3k off frost breath? My frost breath reduction is huge, and with that much FR (chest/belt/boots, and aura) i often end up resisting breathes completely.

swelt
02-25-2010, 03:06 PM
I took a spare broken rams skull, slapped a frost arcanum on it and gemmed an effulgent skyflare. Seemed like a good idea at the time.

Darksend
02-25-2010, 05:59 PM
what? only 2-3k off frost breath? My frost breath reduction is huge, and with that much FR (chest/belt/boots, and aura) i often end up resisting breathes completely.

this happens reguardless, if you watch my 25 man video you can see me full resist and the only FR I had on there was the 25 ony ring + aura. With the change to resist mechanics with 3.0 I am not really sure how full resists even work anymore, might only be possible on frost spells? or did they remove that outdated system from players too?

Paramount
02-25-2010, 07:28 PM
I believe the way resist mechanics work now allows for a percentage to resist different portions of damage. So as long as you hit the around 200ish FR (I can't remember the exact number), you have a low percentage to fully resist a breath.

Proletaria
02-26-2010, 01:24 AM
http://elitistjerks.com/f15/t44675-resistance_mechanics_wotlk/

Awyndel
03-08-2010, 09:33 PM
Its prolly not the frost resist, but a combination of resist and other absorb sources, like a disc priest timing his shield with your breath.

Nighthoof
03-09-2010, 05:31 AM
I usually tank with just under 600 frost resist, and it makes a HUGE difference. The healers don't have to focus on the tanks very much at all, which lets them focus on keeping up the players stuck in frost tombs and taking ticks of the debuff.

I wouldn't try single tanking the fight, though--at least not until increases in the ICC buff.

Unger
03-09-2010, 03:21 PM
^ same as above poster, I am usually at around 560, between pally aura, frost resist flask and FR gear. It really takes the edge off the fight.

EDIT: Of course, I am referring to 25 man. You can get away with a lot less for 10.

Spiff
03-10-2010, 12:27 AM
I typically throw on my FR boots and use a lesser resistance flask in 10m, and during P3 I pop a resistance potion. I've done it with and without the flask and the healers say its "better with the flask." but then again my healers are kinda (for lack of a better word) bitchy. They're the kind of healers that when I die they insist it's because I'm "so much squishier then the druid or pally in my guild" /sigh. All in all with the pot i'm around 400ish FR I think. the Combat log shows a good amount of frost breaths resisted usually.

Fayre
03-10-2010, 09:15 AM
The Onyxia ring(s) are really nice for boosting FR without losing too many other stats. Worth a thought if you're pursuing FR.

Byronius
03-14-2010, 08:07 PM
I can confirm that this can be done with 1 tank/6 DPS/ 3 Heals. The main part you have to worry about is P3, where the Mystic Buffet starts stacking. You need to run out of the Blistering Cold to avoid the damage and most likely burn CD's during Frost Breaths. I did this with ONLY the 3 plate FR pieces and an aura. No signified ring, no head enchant, nothing else. Any hunters and/or rogues in the group should be giving you MD and/or TotT respectively. The other tank in my group (a pally, I'm a warrior) was an easier heal for the healers even with less armor and health than myself.

Also, as you do more attempts, you begin to get a feel for the frost breaths. My timer goes off for them in P3 (I use DBM) and so I had to learn to anticipate them for when I had no other CD's and needed one from a Priest or Pally. Also, my group has high dps, so it isn't a huge issue for us to keep P3 short.

Just some considerations.