PDA

View Full Version : Warrior Warrior Tank opening on Saurfang

Kulutues
02-22-2010, 11:05 PM
As we all know many DPS often explode with damage on open.

Warriors have some problems going from a cold start. If I use Bloodrage to Shout buff the raid, it's unlikely it will be up by the time the pull comes.

What do you use?

Arterius
02-22-2010, 11:12 PM
I pop Bloodrage and Shield Block right before the fight, then hit him with a Shield Slam. You can shout buff shortly after that.

Steakdinner
02-22-2010, 11:20 PM
Just using mocking blow so he fixates on you for 6 seconds. You should have more than enough rage at that point. Don't see why you're worried about buffing the raid pre-fight, not like it's going to make a big difference if they have it before or after the fight has already started.

TomHuxley
02-23-2010, 12:37 AM
I pop Bloodrage a wee bit early, toss up the shout I'm responsible for (usually Commanding) and open with Heroic Throw. Once he hits me I use Mocking Blow ("I slept with your sister") and then open up with the Shield Block enabled SSs and of course glyphed Devastate to fill. Never had an issue with threat.

Thebrain
02-23-2010, 03:37 AM
since normally upon pull you have the full attention of all healers what I do is:

bossmods offer timers that can show you exactly when the fight is about to start, use this information to time the following:

->berserker stance
->recklessness
->battle stance
->retaliation
->def stance
->bloodrage
***combat starts***
->mocking blow
->shieldblock
->shieldslam

works fine for me :)

markv
02-23-2010, 08:15 AM
Personally I just have 1 rogue and whatever hunters are there start with an MD. About the 5 second mark before the encounter starts I pop bloodrage, hit SB+SS, focus on Dev to get a 5 stack up asap (the dps warrior(s) start with sunders as well so it's only 2 GCDs at most for me) and then just do a normal rotation from there.

Elysian
02-23-2010, 08:24 AM
What I do: Target him, wait till he is choking the NPCs, blow bloodrage, spam shield slam/heroic strike/and mocking blow. I never have an issue, and I am not even the first tank on him, the DK is, but I will always get initial snap aggro because two or three of the abilities I listed above go off to start with ample rage. The DK probably likes it, because when he taunts him after the start, he gets my glorious threat as a boost.

jere
02-23-2010, 08:59 AM
As we all know many DPS often explode with damage on open.

Warriors have some problems going from a cold start. If I use Bloodrage to Shout buff the raid, it's unlikely it will be up by the time the pull comes.

What do you use?

I know this might sound blasphemous to some, but don't start with your shouts up. Saurfang doesn't start out very deadly. I do the same thing with my paladin. I don't put up holy shield of jotj until I have gone through all my harder hitting abilities. The raid will definitely survive that fight with 15s of no BS or CS, depending on which you do.

Just pop blood rage right before combat starts and anything else you can do to get rage. Lay into him with mocking blow/shield slams/whatever hits hard. Then put up your shout, and continue on your normal rotation.

Edgewalker
02-23-2010, 09:01 AM
ToT and MD!

MellvarTank
02-23-2010, 09:36 AM
Mocking Blow. I also Vig the highest DPS in the raid. Usually once I land mocking blow, my threat escalates so far beyond the DPS I can worry about shouts. In reality, if you time your shouts right then you won't slump threat at all, if you have an aggro issue, you aren't putting your shouts in at the right time.

Scotteq
02-23-2010, 09:51 AM
Save the shouts for later, as long as you don't forget.

Bloodrage a couple seconds before, Shield block immediately before, and open with a Shield Slam. You'll also block his melee attacks againt you, and will also therefore be able to Revenge almost immediately... Spam your Devastates, debuff the boss with Tclap and Demo. Then use Commanding once you've solidified Threat.

Reev
02-23-2010, 10:16 AM
I just Bloodrage and Commanding Shout right before combat starts, and I have plenty of rage with which to Shield Slam. After that, I'm not gonna lose aggro. No need for fancy tricks. Just do your usual thing.

Darmaul
02-23-2010, 02:26 PM
I do my shout while everyone is eating their fish. Especially since I do the ready checks and control the pace.

Bloodrage... wait til 15 rage left
Shout
Ready check that everyone's ready.
Start event which has about 40+ seconds of RP.

Blood rage is back up when combat starts.

Steakdinner
02-23-2010, 04:50 PM
I'm pretty lazy about it, I have our pally pick him up first. So I can stand back with ranged until he becomes active, let the pally get in his initial threat, and then I charge in. The charge takes care of rage issues, and I can even do a shout if I want to. Someone mentioned earlier that he's not all that dangerous right off the bat, which is true. Shouting 10 seconds before or 10 seconds after the pull doesn't even matter, wasted rage that could have been an opening attack.

Supermassive
02-24-2010, 12:13 AM
On DBM there's a timer.
When it comes to about 6 seconds I pop Bloodrage, pop my shout, and then spam heroicthrow and sheild bash. then go to my rotation.

gacktt
02-24-2010, 12:23 AM
Just bloodrage + shield block a few second after your useless soldiers get tossed in the air, you'll shield slam + heroic strike on agro. The raid isn't going to die if you commanding shout a bit later in the fight.

Suretox
02-24-2010, 12:54 AM
I use to use my bloodrage to give my raid a CS buff before boss encounters as well, however i use to cast it a little before the fight starts in hope it will be up again in time for the boss. If its not i use heroic throw as the initial attack, shield block is also used so next attack (if i havent got hit) will be revenge or shield slam if i have the rage for it. I most often use heroic throw as a starter cos it doesnt cost any rage and deals a fair amount of threat.

Arikak
02-24-2010, 12:58 AM
Rage pots can be pretty slick if you are worried about having enough rage. Plus a little damage/threat boost from the added strength.

robbon
02-25-2010, 06:31 AM
1) vig high melee dps player
2) target him
3) when he emotes "DWARVES" pop bloodrage
4) hover over spam button of choice
5) hit him - generally using a /cast shield block /cast shield slam combo
6) devatsate spammage

thats enough.

Ursaul
02-26-2010, 09:15 AM
During this encounter I play the OT and pick him up after our Palladin does. Not sure what your raid composition is made up of, but i've found this works best for my guild as it's easier for me to taunt him off and settle into that back and forth rotation. It's what works best for my guild. Just my 2c

Ursaul
Warrior - Ysera

Leucifer
02-26-2010, 09:26 AM
I pop Bloodrage a wee bit early, toss up the shout I'm responsible for (usually Commanding) and open with Heroic Throw. Once he hits me I use Mocking Blow ("I slept with your sister") and then open up with the Shield Block enabled SSs and of course glyphed Devastate to fill. Never had an issue with threat.

Sorry.... but still laughing over the "I slept with your sister".....

Pompeius
02-26-2010, 11:55 AM
Glyph Commanding shout like a normal person, will give you more than enough window.

As for the boss theres a couple things you can do to allow yourself max threat at the beginning of that fight, or similar fights such as beasts, jarax, arthas, etc.

Pre-Pull / Before Boss is Active
------------------------------------
Most boss mods have a timer counting down when the boss will "pull". Use it.
Ten seconds before the pull, blood rage.
2-4 seconds before the pull, berserker rage. Make sure you GCD is up for the pull.
(Optional: Depending on your gear level, you can retaliation or even recklessness for the pull, the increased damage will die away very quickly, youll hit 3 special moves in 2 GCDs).
Start spam clicking on your first high threat move/opener, below

The Pull
--------------------------------
First, obviously you should be the closest person to the boss, he will natrually hit the physically closest player.
You have a few choices what to hit first here. Personally I like Heroic throw as it costs no rage (so you can do this if you fucked up your bloodrage cd) and if the boss freaks out you dont need to be on top of him.
Your other two options are Mocking Blow and Shield Slam. Personally, I would open with mocking blow if you chose not open with heroic throw. Shield slam (combined with shield block) will be qued up right after that anyways.

And ffs, have your hunters and rogues help you out

DuRrTy
02-27-2010, 01:26 PM
On normal 25, Reck->Bloodrage/Berserker rage->Shield block->Shield slam. With the help from tricks/md and in a threat/dps set - 25-30k tps with crits is easily attainable for the duration of the aforementioned buffs.

Viggo Vickers
02-28-2010, 12:53 AM
I usually Bloodrage right before the pull, Comshout, Heroic Throw and go to town, but it's abit different to the average pull considering he comes at you. Compared to say going in for Festergut where I'd go pop Recklessness, Bloodrage, Commshout, Indestructible Pot, Charge in, do a Heroic Throw mid charge, Shield Block, Shieldslam, etc all while using the DBM Pizza timer for announcing the pull. /dbm pull 15

Wars
02-28-2010, 10:35 AM
Actually I do the same as the OP. I bloodrage and then commanding before the encounter begins. I have never ever had a problem with threat in this encounter.

Also, I call for heroism about 3 seconds into the fight. It's nice.

I don't even use mocking blow on him.

Just spam Heroic throw/taunt as soon as he's able to be hit, then go with Shield Block + Shield slam and boom, you're f'n set.

Of course your should be telling your dps to give you an MD/Tricks, unless you're saving those for the space chicken and the beasts, or whomever you're trying to direct the beasts to.