PDA

View Full Version : Icecrown Putricide Hard

Ciderhelm
02-21-2010, 01:41 PM
You can find a guide to the normal version of this encounter here (http://www.tankspot.com/showthread.php?61067-Icecrown-Putricide)!

MyXBFH0jm1s

http://www.tankspot.com/snowfall/donorbanner.jpg (http://www.tankspot.com/premium.php)

Hello and welcome to the TankSpot Icecrown Citadel Raid Guide! My name is Aliena and in this video I'll cover everything you need to know about the heroic mode 10-man version of the Professor Putricide encounter. I will assume that you're familiar with the normal version of this encounter. If you're not, I suggest first watching our guide to the 10-man normal mode to learn about Putricide's base abilities.

If you'd like more information or would like to learn more about downloading this movie, click "more info" on the movie information box on YouTube to head directly to TankSpot! Also, be sure to subscribe by clicking the Subscribe button to the right so you will be automatically notified as we release movies.

Compared to 10 million health in normal mode, Putricide sports almost 14 million in his heroic version. Naturally, he also hits harder. Basically everything inflicts significantly higher damage than before - that includes Slime Puddles, the Gaseous Bloat and Volatile Ooze Adhesive debuffs, Choking Gas and Choking Gas Explosions and Malleable Goo which even inflicts double of what it does in the normal mode.

Too long didn't listen version: Don't get hit by stuff.

We used a setup of 2 tanks - one of which controls the abomination in the first two phases - 2 healers and 6 DPS. Since our warlock was dead for most the encounter anyway, it's definitely doable to do this fight with 3 healers and 5 dps and still beat the enrage timer of 10 minutes should your healers have trouble.

There are also a couple actual mechanic changes you're faced with. For one, Putricide won't stun the raid with Tear Gas on his phase changes anymore, but instead release both a volatile ooze and a gas cloud at the same time on both phase changes. Outside of phase changes, he'll spawn oozes alternately one by one. Both add types have about 70k more health than their normal version counterparts and obviously still have the highest kill priority.

To make sure we kill both oozes during the phase change and without losing any players, we stack up on the volatile ooze side of the room and focus it down as soon as it spawns while having everyone that is not followed by the gas cloud stack up on it, so no one takes lethal damage in case the green ooze doesn't die before it reaches its target. Meanwhile, the person chosen by the gas cloud kites it as best as they can and if consistently slowed by the person controlling the abomination, it should not reach its target.

Abilities, enchants and items such as body and soul, swiftness pots, tuskarr's vitality boots enchants and other movement speed enhancements are useful for this part of the encounter.

The other new mechanic is a debuff called Unbound Plague Putricide will toss out at least once every phase on a random player. This can target melee, so be forewarned. When you get it cast on you, it has a one minute timer, but unbound plague will inflict increasing damage every second that it remains on you, so after about 12 seconds you have no choice but to pass it off to another player, which you do by moving close to the raid member you want to pass it off to.

Their plague will start with as many seconds as you had left on the disease, so if you passed it off after 12 seconds, they'll start with 48 seconds left, and if they pass it off after another 12 seconds, the next person will start with 36 seconds left and so on until it runs out.

Once passed off, you get another minute-long debuff called Plague Sickness that increases damage from Unbound Plague by 250%, so it's crucial to not tag the same player twice with the same plague. Players with Plague Sickness are easily visible by the green disease aura that surrounds them.

Having a pre-assigned chain for Unbound Plague is useful, but since your raid is consistently spread out, you may have to change the order on the spot, so make sure to have good vent communication so people are aware the order has changed. If you're a current plague carrier, make sure not to get close to other players unless you're attempting to pass it off.

Everything else in the encounter stays the same, so if you're able to handle the double slime attacks on phase changes and the disease cycle on top of Putricide's normal abilities, you should be able to beat this encounter. Good luck!

Thank you for watching this movie. As always, feel free to ask questions or add suggestions either on YouTube or in the strategy thread on TankSpot.com. Also, TankSpot Donors can download all of these movies in High Definition directly from our servers -- so if you'd like to learn more about that, just click the second link in the movie information box!

Butherface
02-21-2010, 08:04 PM
BURN mr.warlock!!

Baervar
02-22-2010, 01:30 AM
Do you have the person with unbound plague stay away from the raid till he has to pass it along or do you just try to stay as spread out as possible? Even so i imagine it gets tricky if a melee gets so my best guess would be that he's just to stay away from the boss until he has to pass it?

Dwindzle
02-24-2010, 11:24 AM
I may be blind, but I don't see this movie in the donor section.

Therdin
02-26-2010, 09:01 AM
same; I don't see it on the donor thread either!!

vhaarr
02-27-2010, 03:31 AM
Where is the donor download?

Dwindzle
02-27-2010, 09:01 AM
Stilllllll not in the donor section :(

Dwindzle
02-28-2010, 10:35 AM
yay, it's there now!

Gonturan
03-16-2010, 12:00 PM
I have a question about what occurs at 3:12 in the video. It appears that the Volatile Ooze 'stops' (at a very opportune time). Is it possible to do this reliably, and if so, how? Thanks.

Kazeyonoma
03-16-2010, 01:23 PM
Sometimes the oozes bug out and just freeze and retarget, I don't know what causes it either and it has saved us more than once, but I can't say what reliably causes this.

ulyssez
03-31-2010, 01:23 PM
In the video it looks like the warlock is targeted by green ooze and dies from the channeled attack. Once its target is dead it picks a new target. If you're lucky enough to have the green ooze target a player with a complete aggro drop like a hunters feign death, they can use it just before the green ooze reaches them, and then it will take a few seconds to pick a new target.

If the unbound plague is passed to a rogue/pally/mage and they use immunity like bubble/iceblock does the debuff drop?

I think i've seen groups get rid of unbound by plague by soulstoning whoever has it and let them die. This would be nice to get rid of the debuff quickly in p3, im wondering does he recast it once the debuff is no longer active, or is it a timed ability?

Gnurken
04-08-2010, 02:12 AM
I think i've seen groups get rid of unbound by plague by soulstoning whoever has it and let them die. This would be nice to get rid of the debuff quickly in p3, im wondering does he recast it once the debuff is no longer active, or is it a timed ability?

It's timed. Boss mods have a timer for it that it somewhat accurate at least and I know from our 10man tries that if someone dies to the plague it's not recast until the boss mod timer is up again. Our problems is mostly to handle transitions.

Kazeyonoma
04-08-2010, 09:29 AM
transitions are definitely the bane of this fight, once you start controlling the plague and have a rotation up and people executing the passing, the only real "oh crap" factors come when the transitions appear because we HAVE had the gas cloud and the green ooze pick the same person who also happened to be the plague quarantine person. 48%.... damnit =T

Pwnzi
04-13-2010, 10:23 AM
We've only attempted this once before. Do you have to stand directly on top of another player to pass the disease... Or, will it pass once in close proximity?

Kazeyonoma
04-13-2010, 11:50 AM
i think it's close proximity, but I don't know the actual range (i'm tanking sadly so I haven't been able to test it) but I know as the tank i've definitely had it passed to me accidentally by melee or people running across me without having to actually touch me.

Darksend
04-13-2010, 12:41 PM
We've only attempted this once before. Do you have to stand directly on top of another player to pass the disease... Or, will it pass once in close proximity?

It is still kind of buggy/random, mostly you just have to be close, like if it goes on a melee it will bounce around 3-4 times before someone can successfully get it out. Other times you run over and stand on a person and just die because it refuses to jump

Annatar
05-05-2010, 02:17 AM
any plan on releasing a 25 man heroic putricide strat video?

Kazeyonoma
05-05-2010, 10:29 AM
that would require one of us to actually kill him in 25 man heroic... which is quite the daunting task! A lot of the fight mechanics don't change though in most heroic formats which is why we don't have very many of them posted. not sure about the LK one though.

Thegreatme
05-05-2010, 10:33 AM
the only real change between 10/25man hardmode is that during the transitions each player is given an affinity, and they can only do damage to their affinity (like attacks like).

Daimon
05-17-2010, 06:39 AM
what do you mean? like the twin valkyrs? So you get a debuff/buff that forces you to attack certain type of ooze during the tear gas?

Blacksen
05-17-2010, 01:41 PM
When the phase change starts, each player either gets a "Gas Variable" or "Ooze Variable." You can only deal damage to the ooze that matches your variable. If you have the Gas Variable (orange debuff icon), you can only attack the orange ooze. If you have the Ooze Variable (green debuff icon), you can only attack the green ooze. Pets receive no affinity and thus should always be put on the green ooze to split the damage. For us, the Green Ooze typically dies when the Orange Ooze is around 30-40%, though sometimes this can be very variable.

The important thing is to make sure that you get all necessary debuffs up on both mobs. Assign a warlock to put Curse of Elements on both Oozes. Improved Shadowbolt for the 5% crit is another nice debuff to put up. (You can still attack and put debuffs up on the opposite colored ooze, but no damage). Healers should try to DPS before the damage starts rolling in. Try to save "pet" cooldowns for the Green Ooze (Treants, Spirit Wolves, Shadowfiend, Army of the Dead) to split the damage more. Snake trap is another nice thing to throw down as you run to your positions.

Another common way to wipe is when the orange ooze switches targets. Because all your Ooze Variable players are likely tunnel-visioning on the green ooze, it's really easy to forget about the orange ooze, have it be very close to you, switch targets to you, and catch you. Similarly, the green ooze can explode while the orange ooze is picking a new target (a deadly combination at the start of the phase). Also, make sure the orange ooze target has a dedicated healer, as it's easy to have the healers knocked away from that person by the green ooze, leaving that player out of range.

In the 25man, the disease is a lot less deadly. You can let the disease bounce around the melee for ~25-30 seconds before it starts doing any real damage. Ranged should pass it off to almost anyone. It's permissible to actually get the disease with the 1-stack of Plague Sickness as long as you get rid of it in 6 seconds or so. Personally, I would argue that Malleable Goo is more deadly than the disease. (Sidenote: There are 3 Malleable Goo on the heroic 25-man, each one hits for 20k. Getting hit by 2 kills you).

For managing the disease in 25man, we completely abandoned the "rotation" idea and just made one simple rule:
If you die with the disease, it's your fault, period.

We make jokes about it too - if you're trying to catch someone and they run away from you, and you die trying to catch them, it's still your fault. Under all possible circumstances, it's your job to manage the disease if and when you get it, pass it off before it kills you, and then get far away from it while you have Plague Sickness.

In phase 3, it's best to completely ignore the disease. Throw it into the melee. One of the melee will die, but the damage loss from that is much less the damage loss from managing the disease.

One last tip for the disease and phase transitions. Have warlocks get soulstones out before the fight. If you get a new disease right before the 2nd transition, soulstone whoever has it and let them die. Not only will they avoid the Ooze / Gas Variable, but it'll make the transition infinitely easier.

Phase 3's damage requirement is quite ridiculous if you've never seen it before. If a tank hits 4 stacks of the plague, your raid will be dead within 4 seconds. Even 2 tanks with 3-stacks becomes incredibly demanding. Time Shadow Aura Mastery for the tank transitions when a tank gets 3 stacks. There are several strategies out there that try to get you extra time. One option is to simply bring 4 tanks, which is a pretty viable strategy in itself. Another option is to use a DPS as a tank temporarily. For us, we have a DPS feral druid switch to bear form, blow all his cooldowns, and eventually get Pain Suppression. He gets 2 stacks to buy us time. A final option is to have hunters use taunt+deterrence, though this requires timing.

A little tip for phase 3 (as well as the start of the fight if you're getting 2 diseases) is to have healers DPS. When we pull the boss, we have 4 of our healers DPS to ensure that we get him to 80% before he ever spawns an orange ooze. The only real damage is on the tank, so 2 healers can manage fine. Some of our healers switch back to healing once the Green Ooze is out. I strongly recommend approaching the fight as "we cannot get an orange ooze before the first transition." If you can push Putricide just before the first orange ooze spawns, the phase transition will have no disease and it'll be a lot easier. For phase 3, we also have healers DPS until the first transition.

Regardless of what you do, know that Putricide in the 25man heroic is nothing about managing the disease. It's all about damage output in both of the phase transitions and the final phase. If you've practiced in the 10man heroic, the disease will seem like a joke in the 25man.

gundecker
05-18-2010, 06:10 AM
Last night, we attempted Putricide 25H. During one of the attempts, I was targeted by the orange gas cloud and was a fairly good distance away. I started kiting and suddenly, half the raid is dead. Apparently, it reached me and exploded on me. But I was too far away for it to catch up to me so quickly, unless it wasn't slowed.

Has anyone ever had this happen to them - where it seemingly bugged out?

Crommi
05-19-2010, 03:57 PM
Another option is to use a DPS as a tank temporarily. For us, we have a DPS feral druid switch to bear form, blow all his cooldowns, and eventually get Pain Suppression. He gets 2 stacks to buy us time.

Thanks for the tip, used that strategy for our first kill tonight with couple small tweaks:
-Have dps-feral delay his taunt so that he taunts just before next application of Mutated Plague, this shortens the duration he has to tank to reach 2 stacks.
-Protection warrior with Safeguard should Intervene just before dps-feral taunts, that 30% reduction for 5 seconds is pretty handy but don't do it too late or he will lose aggro.

gundecker
05-24-2010, 03:40 PM
Last night, during one of our Putricide 25H attempts, during phase 3, I taunted to begin taking my first two stacks and Putricide hit me no less than 25k with a max hit of 29k. Needless to say it was a wipe because I wasn't prepared and neither were the healers. I certainly didn't have my back to him. I thought maybe my equipment manger bugged out on me, but even if I had my stamina set on which has 31k armor, I still shouldn't have bit hit that hard. Anyone ever had this happen?

pueppiblue
06-01-2010, 05:02 AM
Most of the bosses in HC hit for around 30k. So its normal.

Grissome
11-03-2010, 09:20 AM
Those who die by Unbound Plague can they get a brez? Or will it not work?

Kazeyonoma
11-03-2010, 11:30 AM
yes they can, and on one of our first 10 man kills, we had 3 druids in the group (1 resto druid, 1 boomkin, 1 feral dps), so during phase 3, we just had people who got unbound plague, run off and die rather than try to pass it during such a hectic dps time, and we'd just brez them after death to get rid of the plague =P

Bashal
11-03-2010, 12:02 PM
I took one for the team on our first h. putri kill: I was in a bit of a bad spot, holding the disease while others were stacking for a green experiment. It took a little long for the experiemnt to die so I just calmly put my affairs in order, then ankhed back up afterwards. ;)

Geach
11-05-2010, 01:20 PM
Can anyone give some insight into driving the Mutated Abomination. Getting enough energy to use two slows during the transition with only allowing one ozze to spawn causes an issue for slows.

My current plan is allowing one puddle to stay as a small puddle till the next two puddles are out. Then get back down to just one small puddle again. Even doing this I still only have enough energy to put out one slow for the 1st round of double spawning Oozes.

That slow is going on the green because we start on the green side. I am then sucking on the pools as quick as possible to get the orange slowed. This usually means the orange has gotten to run a bit but if people are on the green side it doesn't reach them by the time the slow is on it. Where this becomes an issue is when people stand in the middle of the room making the distance even shorter.

My current counter is no matter what variable a person has stack for the 1st knock back on green facing so the push back puts them further into the green wall/side. The disadvantage to this is orange won't have much dps on it yet. Is there a better way to approach this?

Bashal
11-05-2010, 01:23 PM
We had the same problem with slows. Our solution was to only worry about slowing the orange experiment. We stack on the green side during the phase transition, kill the green first, then the orange.

MellvarTank
11-05-2010, 01:41 PM
Don't eat the ooze when it gets close to the transition phase. This is particularily tricky on the first transition, as you haven't had as much time to get the ooze power you need to 100%. All you can do is keep up 1 puddle all the time, don't worry too much about size, if it is 2 ticks from the smallest then it is usually good to go timing wise. You really just have to feel it out.

As for which ooze to slow? The orange, always the orange. That orange will wipe the raid, the green is just annoying.

We also stacked up on PP's table during the transitions, maximizing the distance between the raid and both oozes for the transition phase. This gave us enough time to kite the orange and absorb the green explosion.

Falladin
11-18-2010, 01:30 PM
We found it helpful to tank Putricide at the table for Phase 1 and 2. We placed the Unbound Plague spot in the very center of the circle. With our rotation set-up for pass off, the person needing to take the plague runs into the middle to pick it up and remains there for 12 seconds until it is picked up again. Occasionally the tank on Putricide would get the plague. It would be necessary for a melee who has not had the plague yet to pick it up and bring it to the middle. We stopped all dps on Putriced (including pets) at 85% and 35%. Once both oozes were down, we pushed phase. During Phase 2 the tank only need to kite Putricide 10 yards either direction to avoid the gas bombs on the floor while remaining near the table. Phase 3 has the same mechanics as regular mode. Good luck!