PDA

View Full Version : Begin tanking with a paladin probs

smeisser
02-21-2010, 05:49 AM
hi there, i just started to tank with my pally.
my gear is surely not OP but people say it's not bad.
I keep having trouble to keep my aggro in some way surely if the DPS is nuking like hell
you guys got any tips for enchants or tactics that i could use?
thank you so far :)

theodisius
02-23-2010, 07:38 AM
What level are you? Assuming you are 80, good tactics are probably what you need - typically tankadins can hold threat without gearing for it (enchants should be for survival, not threat).

However, the gear that most affects your threat are your weapon and shield, so make sure you have the best you can get there. I recommend the Argent Tournament weapon and the titansteel shield as starters. You might consider the libram that procs 200 strength as an option for threat (and block value) too.

As for tactics, in Wotlk, the standard approach is to barrel through - run up to a group of enemies, casting Hand of Reckoning, then Avenger Shield, then consecrate and Hammer of Righetousness. These are mainly AoE moves and should lock down trash. Then switch to your 969 rotation if you have time. Try to keep up divine plea for mana, as you will be spamming moves, and run SoV. If you are having trouble, there is no shame in asking in advance for the dps (and healer) to wait 2 seconds for you to lock down the mobs.

Liberal use of hand of reckoning and righteous defence to taunt loose mobs should keep things under control. The 2 piece bonus for tier 9 gear is very nice here - a 5 second cooldown on HoR, I believe.

At lower levels, you will have fewer tools and better designed dungeons (e.g. that require CC and/or corner pulls), so things are more complicated. But at level 80, it's mainly a matter of an aggressive opening and then being alert with taunting.

smeisser
02-24-2010, 02:35 AM
that has helped me so far thanks mate ;)

ToKu
03-08-2010, 12:37 AM
Until you become geared caster DPS can sometimes steal agro away from you, I know when I was gearing up prot on my pally, locks would constantly steal agro because they dropped a good chunk of damage on a mob very early in a fight. If thats an issue let them know to hold off or light on DPS an extra second or two or let them die a few times to learn thier lesson.

Im not sure how important it is for heroics but for raids I know a big part of my threat issues were my hit and expertise were too low. We dont need either very high, around 26 for expertise and I found about 150-170 to be a good spot for hit. At that point all threat issues vanished.

The new LFG tool is awesome, but it does create some issues where you may find yourself in a group with insanely geared DPS. Im gearing a warrior tank now and usually run with guildies who know better, but when I do random pug I will sometimes get a crazy geared mage/lock/hunter who will just unload on a mob, sometimes one I havnt even targeted yet but just got proximity agro, and yeah they steal agro each time and go into some rant about me being a bad tank and that my lack of gear doesnt matter because they have a tank who can easily keep agro in the same situation yada yada.

/rant off

LiquidWeasel
03-11-2010, 04:20 PM
I will sometimes get a crazy geared mage/lock/hunter who will just unload on a mob, sometimes one I havnt even targeted yet but just got proximity agro, and yeah they steal agro each time

Let em die. Simple as that. :)

Ajire
03-12-2010, 04:19 AM
I faced the same problems back when I started tanking heroics and the solution I came up with was a respec. I went a bit deeper in the retribution tree to get seal of command and started to use it as my trash tanking seal. The improvement went beyond my greatest expectations.

Before you all get into the Seal of Vengeance orthodoxy, let me clarify that you should always use Seal of Vengeance when tanking a boss.

But SoC really shines when tanking trash with high-burst dps. The problem with seal of vengeance is that the DoT can only be applied by white hits and Hammer of the Righteous. That means one application every ~6 sec save for your current melee hit target. Nowadays most trash encounters is over in around 10 seconds and one stack of Vengeance is not gonna hold any amount of mobs when you have three 4k+ dps'ers engaging separate mobs.

SoC works around this in two ways: 1) It is simply a flat out holy damage bonus to all attacks, meaning that it generates threat in bursts. This gives you the precious edge at the beginning of the fight to hold on to the trash for the remainder. 2) The damage splashes when SoC is used with a single target ability. That means that your melee swing, judgments and Shield of Righteousness will essentially now have a cleave effect, more effectively distributing your threat to multiple enemies.

Blu_Haze
03-20-2010, 07:35 PM
I faced the same problems back when I started tanking heroics and the solution I came up with was a respec. I went a bit deeper in the retribution tree to get seal of command and started to use it as my trash tanking seal. The improvement went beyond my greatest expectations.

Before you all get into the Seal of Vengeance orthodoxy, let me clarify that you should always use Seal of Vengeance when tanking a boss.

But SoC really shines when tanking trash with high-burst dps. The problem with seal of vengeance is that the DoT can only be applied by white hits and Hammer of the Righteous. That means one application every ~6 sec save for your current melee hit target. Nowadays most trash encounters is over in around 10 seconds and one stack of Vengeance is not gonna hold any amount of mobs when you have three 4k+ dps'ers engaging separate mobs.

SoC works around this in two ways: 1) It is simply a flat out holy damage bonus to all attacks, meaning that it generates threat in bursts. This gives you the precious edge at the beginning of the fight to hold on to the trash for the remainder. 2) The damage splashes when SoC is used with a single target ability. That means that your melee swing, judgments and Shield of Righteousness will essentially now have a cleave effect, more effectively distributing your threat to multiple enemies.

This is by far the best advice in this thread so far.

SoCleave is amazing for tanking trash mobs in heroics

Also, if you're having trouble holding threat against DPS that severely outgearing you, then first check to see if you're getting easily squashed by a pack or two of trash mobs. If you aren't, then try using your Avenging Wrath liberally rather than saving it for Divine Protection. The extra 20% boost in your damage by using your wings at the start of a pull makes a huge difference in threat, and I was able to easily hold aggro as a fresh 80, even against a 5980 GS fury warrior that wanted to rush in and whirlwind half a second into a pull.

Misogyny
03-20-2010, 08:53 PM
I routinely pull a mob off the tank every few pulls on my mage main. It dies before it reaches me, which is my plan. And if I actually let it reach and kill me without blinking or ice blocking, it would be my fault anyway. Not everyone is thinking you suck if they pull something off you. Most people probably expect it, can deal with it, and don't care. Really, it's just the daily 'roic. I'm barely awake in most of mine XD

In short don't worry about it.