PDA

View Full Version : Tanking Advice on holding threat

Verita
02-20-2010, 06:04 AM
I am a Prot Pally and I seem to be having some trouble holding threat as of late.

My armory: http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Bloodhoof&cn=Samatina&gn=Or+%C3%90ie+Trying

My rotation: I pull usually with Hand of Reckoning if just one mob. Then consecration>shield of righteousness>Judgement of wisdom>hammer of the righteous>Holy shield and avengers shield if necessary. Of course, this is subject to change with the taunting abilities depending on the mobs and the fight.

Someone told me that I had generated only 3500 threat in Halls of Stone today. They died left and right and I'm not sure why since I've never had that problem before. The one DK (the one who said that) kept pulling aggro off me and the priest only had a 2638 GS, she was new obviously.

I am also changing to the Glyph of Righteous Defense and taking off the Glyph of Judgement.

Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks and have a great day.

MrMooky
02-20-2010, 09:58 AM
You'll see a lot of demented DK's dpsing in frost presence. This was most likely the cause of him constantly pulling aggro. I was doing H HoR witha DK doing the same. Was spamming chat with him to get the hell outta frost. It's difficult enough to hold aggro on 5 mobs with a Warrior, let alone with a doofus llike that in the group.

Selene
02-20-2010, 11:32 AM
You'll see a lot of demented DK's dpsing in frost presence. This was most likely the cause of him constantly pulling aggro. I was doing H HoR witha DK doing the same. Was spamming chat with him to get the hell outta frost. It's difficult enough to hold aggro on 5 mobs with a Warrior, let alone with a doofus llike that in the group.

Yeah Noob or Inattentive DKs and Paladins have a bad habit of dpsing in Frost Presence or with Righteous Fury up.

MrMooky
02-20-2010, 11:45 AM
Yeah Noob or Inattentive DKs and Paladins have a bad habit of dpsing in Frost Presence or with Righteous Fury up.

Indeed. My suggestion, as soon as you get into a pug, check the other classes. If you have a DK or Pally, check their buffs for Frost Presence and Righteous Fury. You'll get some jerks every so often, that wanna call you a bad tank. They'll intentionally put up FP or RF to pull aggro off you. I actually witnessed a Hunter doing this to my GF. She was a new tank, and he was MD to the priest and then mocking her for not holding aggro.

Verita
02-20-2010, 12:11 PM
well you know, I seriously wondered if he was deliberately pulling aggro. Seemed I always had to pull it off of him and he had said in the beginning that he forgot his DPS gear, leading me to believe he may have still been in a tanking spec. All I know is that was the WORST group I've been in in a long time.

But could you guys check my gear/enchants/gems/caps etc and let me know how it all looks? If I am at least in the right direction with it?

MrMooky
02-20-2010, 12:42 PM
I can't comment on your spec, as I've never played a pally. However, as far as gems go, you are fine on defense. I would change your shoulder enchant to the +30 stam pvp one. You're a little low on hps, I'd suggest taking out some of the +hit/+stam gems and making them pure stam gems. You should really only socket for the bonus if it's +12, and sometimes +9. Otherwise going straight stam is the popular route. I would get rid of the mark of supremacy, and farm for the black heart or the trinket of second boss in AN. I'd also suggest changing the red gems from +hit/+exp to +exp/+stam.

Verita
02-21-2010, 02:50 AM
Heh, I've been farming for that trinket, but he holds onto it tightly. Ugh.

Anyway, I thought my hit needed to be capped also? And expertise, I don't know. I read one thing, says not that important, read another thing, says to get it.

Gear for tanks can be confusing I believe. Men have analytical minds. I, on the other hand, read all the formulas and the such and go "what?? what did that SAY??" :)

Thanks for the advice though, I'm going to take another look at all my enchants/gems.