PDA

View Full Version : Death Knight Readycheck!

valdarsh
02-20-2010, 05:00 AM
Hi folks,

I have been busy putting together a tanking set in hopes of raid tanking one day. I think I'm close, but my lack of avoidance is really bothering me. Self buffed, I'm barely over 50%. Is this normal for a DK tank in ICC?

It was really noticeable today when I was tanking alongside a paladin in VoA 10. On the Ice Watcher, my stack went up to 4 really fast compared to the paladin (I was saving my AMS for Whiteouts)

Other suggestions welcome also :)

http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Icecrown&n=Kitscorpse

In case I happen to switch specs and gear on a log out, my tanking stats are (completely unbuffed):
39726 hp
29213 armor
577 Defense
26.80% dodge
21.86% parry
I am using Stoneskin Gargoyle. I'm tempted to use Swordshattering but losing 600 or so hp makes me sad :(

291 hit (might be over for a Draenei)
25 Expertise

MrMooky
02-20-2010, 11:36 AM
I would change the Hit/Stam gems to pure stam, you're very high on hit. Get rid of the +parry gem. Never gem for parry. If you want avoidance, go dodge/stam, but I'd go pure stam on that one as well. Change your shoulder enchant to the +30 stam pvp one. Ditch the onyxia trinket and get the glyph. I'd go with the additional armor with the hand enchant. Enchant tuskarr's vitality to your boots. The speed increase is more useful than 70 hps.

Vlad
02-20-2010, 02:41 PM
Your avoidance is fine actually, add another 1% raid buffed, 2% for your sigil proc.. lookin alright eh?
Also what the guy above said, except I'd put 18stam on the gloves. Also Miner/skinner? drop skinning for JC, BS or alchemy.

valdarsh
02-20-2010, 03:24 PM
Thank you for your replies :)

I do have a question though. Why is parry so undesirable compared to dodge? I have seen several posts expressing that opinion around. I thought it was a great stat due to synergy with spell deflection.

MrMooky
02-20-2010, 04:01 PM
Thank you for your replies :)

I do have a question though. Why is parry so undesirable compared to dodge? I have seen several posts expressing that opinion around. I thought it was a great stat due to synergy with spell deflection.

It's because it suffers more from diminishing returns. You get more out of a +20 dodge gem than you would a +20 parry. So it's really about getting the most bang for your buck out of a particular socket or enchant.

So basically the rule of them is, never gem for parry.

valdarsh
02-26-2010, 01:17 AM
Thank you again everyone for your help :) I have made a number of changes to my character:

Spec - changed to a more threat focused spec (spell deflection 3/3 -> sudden doom 3/3) as I was losing aggro sometimes (A warrior OT in a VoA pug kept stealing aggro)

Profession - Changed to JC and took 3 super stamina gems (40k hp woohoo)

Hit - I'm still over hit cap, but that will change once I sort out a few pieces (belt)

My guild was kind enough to let me OT ICC10 today alongside a Paladin. We have approximately equal level gear. Everything went well until the lag boss enraged and we had to call it. I went through the numbers later for Sarufang (since it was the only fight where we were tanking roughly 50-50, and they were quite alarming.

Overall graph
My damage taken
Paladin damage taken

I may be interpreting this wrong, but the overall damage shows that I'm taking larger damage spikes. When looking at the avoidance table, the paladin has 50% avoidance (!) compared to my 30%.

My new question is. . .is this normal? O_o And if it is not, what can I change?