PDA

View Full Version : Raid Management - invites

Evilight
02-19-2010, 04:40 AM
Hi guys,

I'm currently "in charge" of our raiding team, we're a small guild i guesstoo. We've always recruited just for "required classes" for our single 10man team (as during the naxx/uldy days we tried 25man but it failed miserably, and has become a black mark to most of us)
We have enough players at this time to easily fill a progression team for ICC, however some members are not quite up to scratch, and also i find it extremely hard to balance progression with fairness, on who get's to come along. As well as the fact i want to get more people in the guild to cover sortfall on raid nights, and also to build on our current awesome environment.

Basically, we've been using the wow calendar to do invites since it was launched, but i'm finding it hard (like i said) especially as we want to grow and start another team, possibly go into 25man. I've done reasearch into some of the Guild website raid management type wares, i had initially wanted to use RaidNinja, but having setup the website and installed etc it's missing some vital elements (roles for example, there is no way of setting raid make-up ie. 2 tanks, 3 healers, 5 dps) and it's been out of development since last year, which is so dissapointing because the 2.1 realease WAS going to have roles. /facepalm

Edit: forgot to mention i would really like something that uses our forum DB for registration (like raidninja) so people only have to register once.

So, i've prattled on for ages, sorry... Any advice on some Raid Management would be greatly appreciated

Thanks in advance!

Ryoku
02-19-2010, 05:19 AM
Well personally I am using EQDKP Plus (link (http://www.tankspot.com/www.eqdkp-plus.com)). It has a raid planner, a CMS bridge (people register on the forum and are registered in the system straight away). And lots more other features.

Evilight
02-20-2010, 06:31 PM
Ok thanks, i'll look into that one.

I've been searching a bit more and seen another couple : WoW Raid Manager, or WoWraider.

Anyone have input on these?

Tahriel
02-22-2010, 06:02 AM
Ok thanks, i'll look into that one.

I've been searching a bit more and seen another couple : WoW Raid Manager, or WoWraider.

Anyone have input on these?

Used to use WoW Raid Manager up until the point i moved the Guild Forums over to Vbulletin. There was no bridge for Vbulletin so we've started using the in-game calendar. If there was a bridge for Vbulletin then i'd of still been using WoW Raid Manager, so as you'd probably have guessed, it's pretty decent.

Another benefit with having sign-ups on the website is that it makes players visit your website more often for distribution of information.

/Tahriel

Evilight
02-22-2010, 01:39 PM
Ok thanks, i guess i'm just going to have to try and see which fits best.

Does WoW raid Manager use "roles" like i mentioned previously, i saw in the features it does, but when i looked at the demo i could only see classes, if not what's the best way to get around that?

Obviously i don't want everyone signing up and when i go to invite we have 9 dps and 1 healer lol

Thanks again

Acheronia
02-23-2010, 12:22 AM
Wowstead's calendar lets you set up 6dps, 2 tanks, 2 healers and people sign up and fill those spots. www.wowstead.com

Evilight
02-28-2010, 06:01 AM
Thanks very much guys.

After looking around at all the available programs, I decided on a "mash-up" lol

I'm using Joomla for the site, phpbb3 forum, eqdkp-plus, and WoW raid manager. all using single login.

So far it's looking great, and does what i want :)

Snazzie
03-15-2010, 07:48 PM
Alright, my brain officially hurts.

So, I went and checked out EQDKP-plus and I LOVE it.
But I just don't get it.
I need an FTP Server and I'd be designing a site from scratch?
OMG....

I also checked out wowstead and it's ok, but I'm frustrated with some of the limitations just like I am frustrated with Guild Launch.

Is EQ really as complex as I think it is?
Is this something that I would have to actually hire someone to help me with?
(BLEH)

Evilight
03-23-2010, 05:21 AM
Well, if you take the EQDKP-plus route, you need to have knowledge of being a webmaster, as with raidninja, phpbb, wowraidmanager, phpraid, any software.

You need hosting, a domain name (although there are free ones) and you need to know how to install/modify/maintain websites. Especially as the software developed is open-source, you're liable to get bugs and glitches and have to fix them yourself. So.. in short, if you don't know any of this stuff, don't do it. By all means learn how to do it, but untill then, don't :)

I'm using Joomla 1.5, phpbb3, eqdkp-plus, and wowraidmanager on my guild website, and it's taken me a few weeks to configure it all and get it working properly, and i've been building/running websites for years.

Paying for someone to do it? well i wouldn't because it would probably cost a pretty penny, in my opinion you'd be better off using wowstead or guildlaunch and putting up with the limited features (or if they have it, paying for the unlimited features) you'll save yourself a lot of money and hassle.

Ryoku
03-23-2010, 05:35 AM
Well I would have to disagree with you Evilight. I dont have any real webmastering experience and I managed without any problems installing that thing, and keeping it up to date, on top of that you should know (since u are using it yourself) that their forum is quite active, and that you can find a lot of help there or in the wiki.

To make it simpe for you Snazzie:

You will need a host, and a domain. Somithing like Servage or so (hope I am aloud to write the name here)

The u just create a folder using ur ftp acces and upload the whole installation onto u webserver.
Make another folder for a forum and upload the install files for the forum in there. (some hoster have an autoinstall for forums so no problems there)

Create the necessary DB

Install the stuff (by pointing ur browser to the install files (preferably u start with the forum and then Eqdkp

Then u have to set some setting (like CMS bridge (whcih means that user only need to register on the forum and then can use the same login for the site without having to reregister.)

If you want u can start tweeking than buts thas about it.

I suppose you will need it in english so there is not much or no tweeking needed.

Crommi
03-23-2010, 07:07 AM
Why not just set a raiding schedule that is the same each week and put it on your forums, guildinfo and guildmessage?
When invites start, change guildmessage to say that invites have started and whisper player X for invite, then just sort ouf the tanks, healers and dps.

Evilight
03-23-2010, 07:43 AM
well, i don't have any real base for reference, only what snazzie has stated and it sounded like he didn't know anything, hence i said to learn some stuff if he really wants to go with eqdkp-plus. It is quite easy to install if you only want to use eqkp-plus. yes their forum is active and the wiki is good (although some pages aren't translated properly and are hard to follow sometimes), it just depends what you want to do with it.

I beleive eqdkp-plus has the same functions as wowstead/guildlaunch? and he said he was dissappointed with them, which would mean adding other software like i did.

maybe if snazzie could give us a little more info, we could make more related suggestions

Crommi, yeah that's a good idea, but it has many negative points, and isn't a very "management friendly" way of doing it especially for larger guilds (btw you mentioned sorting out the tanks, healers, dps at invite? what if there aren't any healers online and you have your 3 tanks, 17 dps waiting on you at raid start? just curious)

Ryoku
03-23-2010, 09:34 AM
I would agree with you Evilight, a little more info would help. I found a place where you could test the system: here (http://www.eqdkp-plus.com/demo06/)

Onyxstar
03-24-2010, 11:53 AM
All of the install/maintain issues - and the learning curve (depending on background of what you are using) is why I went with guildlaunch.> I love their rapid raid setup.

Crommi
03-24-2010, 05:40 PM
Crommi, yeah that's a good idea, but it has many negative points, and isn't a very "management friendly" way of doing it especially for larger guilds (btw you mentioned sorting out the tanks, healers, dps at invite? what if there aren't any healers online and you have your 3 tanks, 17 dps waiting on you at raid start? just curious)

You should have enough players in your roster to keep raids going, situation where you have 0 healers shouldn't happen. You need to have backups and even offspec healers if you really can't find enough for one night, but at that point I'd talk to your current healers and see what's up. If you have raiding roster full of players with low attendancy, you need more backups or even better, replace them.

The way we sort out invites is very simple:
1. Raid invites start at 19:30 server time(wed/sun/tue), guildmessage will be up with instructions to whisper officer with a keyword for auto-invite (oRa can do that for you)
2. Groups are temporarily sorted based on role, this will give better overview on how many healers and dps we have.
3. Usually, at 19:45 we already have full group and we can sort out the kicklist* to see who have to sit out. At this point we have enough players inside the instance to start clearing trash.
4. Deadline is set to 20:00 and players joining after that will be marked as "joined late" and receive 50% dkp for the night.

* Kicklist = Rotating list of players, player on top will be next in line to be benched and after being kicked, falls to bottom of the list. We have separate lists for healers and DPS, tanks don't need one since we have 3 tanks with 100% raid-attendance. Some exceptions will be made when we need stuns and slows for Valkyrs or Saurfang's adds.

Snazzie
06-04-2010, 03:11 PM
So, I kind of diassappeared for a while and didn't know that people were actually talking to me.
Sorry about that!

Ok, as a QUICK update on all of this....I've now bounced from site to site and had ups and downs with each.
I'm currently on Guildzilla which I like the best overall but still not 100% happy with.
I realized that I was thinking WAAAAY too far outside of the box about eqDKP and making it much harder on myself.
So, I'm currently uploading things on the FTP server and we'll see what happens.

As far as some of the other comments:

Yes, we have the same recurring raid schedule every week.
But that doesn't mean that everyone can and will show up.
And there are a million excuses why certain systems aren't working.
(Ex: Addons don't show the in-game calendar, members refusing to use the website, the website doesn't function the right way, the website only allowed me to invite members instead of them signing themselves up.)

There are a million answers/solutions to each of those excuses, but that wasn't the point of my post.
My point was that I'm not happy with what I've been using.

So, this eqDKP thing is still probably a little bit over my head. I've dabbled with web-design, know HTMP coding, even worked on a degree for it for a little while.
But I'm not a programmer or a site designer and it's been YEARS since I dabbled in this.
Guildzilla, wowstead, guildlaunch, and the like are great starters that I fully support.
But, I'm ready for more.

It may take me a few months to get things right, and I may have lots of questions and research to do.

Thanks for all the feedback, questions, ideas, and support.
Sorry again for disappearing.

Snazzie
06-07-2010, 06:16 AM
Another update - it's working great and I'm really happy with this. I followed Evilight's setup: Joomla, eqDKP, phpBB3, and Wow raid manager.
I'm currently having some problems getting the bridge to work the way I want to but I've been getting great response on the forums and through some other users that I've run into.

If anyone's looking for an easy "out-of-the-box" system, I personally reccommend Guildzilla. It's newer and has some growing to do, but the webmaster is responsive and my guild LOVES the website comparred to any of the others we've used. The recruitment tool they have works perfectly for our guild as well - the leadership is able to discuss the applicant in a forum-style setup and the actual applicant can NEVER see the discussion, no matter what rank they become. (Downside to that is that leadership can also trash-talk me on my application and I'd never know...but I just made an app for testing and then deleted it.)

But, if anyone's looking for something more customizable and more expansive, this is a great happy medium.
Sure, you need to learn a little about SQL and sometimes reading through the jargon made my brain mushy.
But, like others have pointed out and I re-confirmed, the online community is responsive and helpful.
Just don't get into this thinking that you'll have a fully operational site in and hour or so (for the Beginner).

Thanks again Evilight and Ryoku.