PDA

View Full Version : Warrior Warrior Tank - DPS Offspec Requested

Uaru
02-17-2010, 10:15 AM
Alright, my Warrior has only had two specs in history: Prot Trash Spec / Prot Boss Spec. Obviously, one for high threat, and another for high avoidance.

Well, my guild has started bringing me into the ICC25 Core Raids now, and have requested that I drop one Prot spec for a DPS Offspec, so I'm not standing around like a useless 6th toe half the time.

Problem is, I have absolutely no DPS gear other than a 251 2H I just picked up from ICC10 last week. Although, I did save a nifty Armor Pen Trinket from HFoS.

My first question is, what DPS offspec should I go with while wearing mostly Tank Gear working to get DPS gear meanwhile? The ICC25 raids aren't going to stop and wait on me to gear, so I just have to make do in the meantime. Basically, I am going to be the third or offtank in certain encounters, but will be DPSing the rest of the time.

Since I only have one 2H Axe so far, I was thinking I should do Arms first, and swap to Fury later.

Thing is, I haven't played Arms since Classic, and it has changed so much. I can't seem to find a solid Arms spec and rotation--most people on websites have different things to say about it. Fury spec and rotation seems pretty general and easy to follow.

Since I am stuck with Arms meanwhile, anyone able to advise me on proper spec and rotation for 25 raid content? I would be very thankful to get some advice regarding that, as well as Glyphs and what gearstyle it should be after.

Thanks in advance.

Deathsupply
02-17-2010, 01:16 PM
Basic Arms Rotation:

Rend-->MS-->SD Execute-->OP--->Slam!

Rotation tips:

1. Let rend Fall off the First time, and NOT the second.
This maximizes your TfB Procs.

2. If you have low expertise, Overpower everytime MS is on CD and OP is up.
You don't waste any TfB/dodged Overpowers. OP is great for Deepwounds. Use it to easily reapply it during mainly your execute phase (0-20%)

3. Arms is a horrible spec to have to apply both sunder armor and to interrupt. Get someone else to do it if you can. If you are still sstuck applying sunder, fill in your Slam's with the sunder armor refreshes, and your first thing when combat starts, is to slap 5 sunders on the boss.

4. Standard glyphs are Glyph of Rending, Glyph of Execute and Glyph of Mortal Strike. Minors have no affect on any main abilities, but I normally run with Battle, Commanding and Charge.

Your spec should look something like this:

http://talent.mmo-champion.com/?warrior#g0cWyugFW0moL-1,QM83R-,11403

5. During Execute Phase, your rotation looks like this: Rend--->Execute, easy huh? The only thing you have to watch for, is your Deepwounds falling off, when it is about to, you can reapply it with Overpower. You should get 3 non crit executes before having to refresh your deepwounds with OP.

6. Target dummies are your friend, visit them frequently and say hi with a nice smack of your axe for a little bit, you can never stay skilled enough to your rotation.
If you could provide an Armory link, I can assist you further :P

Muffin Man
02-17-2010, 03:01 PM
Check out the dps forums, there are 3 stickies for fury and arms (old one and new one).

If you really want to go fury, you could try to grab the Axe from H PoS. Not ideal, but it'll get you by until you pick up a second weapon. But it's certainly no reason to stay arms if you really want to try fury.

Next, I wouldn't bother plotting out tank gear for dps... 160 triumph emblems can get you 4 pc tier 9 (let's say, shoulders, legs, hands, chest). Then another 165 emblems for offset (helm, strength ring, agility ring, throwing weapon can probably skip the trinket).

Yes, that's kitting you out in 232/245 gear. But it's better than no gear. And honestly it's close enough to ICC levels that you'll have the 'stats' to do competitive* dps once you get the rotation sorted out.

*competitive as middle of the meters assuming your guild isn't full of allstars.

MellvarTank
02-17-2010, 03:43 PM
I would agree with the above. You can't really run DPS in tank gear and expect to be useful. If that was the case, we'd all be so incredibly OP we wouldn't need prot. Simply not the case. You need DPS gear, and assuming you've been running for a while as dual prot.... you should have enough badges to get yourself all of the triumph gear you need to get a DPS set built.

Uaru
02-17-2010, 10:04 PM
Check out the dps forums, there are 3 stickies for fury and arms (old one and new one).

If you really want to go fury, you could try to grab the Axe from H PoS. Not ideal, but it'll get you by until you pick up a second weapon. But it's certainly no reason to stay arms if you really want to try fury.

Next, I wouldn't bother plotting out tank gear for dps... 160 triumph emblems can get you 4 pc tier 9 (let's say, shoulders, legs, hands, chest). Then another 165 emblems for offset (helm, strength ring, agility ring, throwing weapon can probably skip the trinket).

Yes, that's kitting you out in 232/245 gear. But it's better than no gear. And honestly it's close enough to ICC levels that you'll have the 'stats' to do competitive* dps once you get the rotation sorted out.

*competitive as middle of the meters assuming your guild isn't full of allstars.

Yeah, Im already quite geared with tanking gear. What I mean is my guild isn't going to stop their raiding progression to wait for me to find DPS gear. So, I just gotta do what DPS I can do until I start collecting badges over the next few weeks.

I'm well aware of where to get the DPS gear sets. My question was moreso with gemming, as in what should I gem for with Arms in the meantime? And no, I'm not gemming my tank gear, but planning to gem the DPS gear as I obtain it.

Uaru
02-17-2010, 10:06 PM
I would agree with the above. You can't really run DPS in tank gear and expect to be useful. If that was the case, we'd all be so incredibly OP we wouldn't need prot. Simply not the case. You need DPS gear, and assuming you've been running for a while as dual prot.... you should have enough badges to get yourself all of the triumph gear you need to get a DPS set built.

I know I can't effectively see numbers in tank gear, but I don't exactly have a choice. No, I don't have triumph badges saved up, as I first invested them into Triumph gear, and have since used them to buy Majestic Zircons from the Jewelcrafting vendor every 20 I get. I never thought I would have to create a DPS spec. I thought that was what my hunter was for, but apparently I am a more valuable raid member if I can Tank AND DPS.

Uaru
02-17-2010, 10:22 PM
Basic Arms Rotation:

Rend-->MS-->SD Execute-->OP--->Slam!

Rotation tips:

1. Let rend Fall off the First time, and NOT the second.
This maximizes your TfB Procs.

2. If you have low expertise, Overpower everytime MS is on CD and OP is up.
You don't waste any TfB/dodged Overpowers. OP is great for Deepwounds. Use it to easily reapply it during mainly your execute phase (0-20%)

3. Arms is a horrible spec to have to apply both sunder armor and to interrupt. Get someone else to do it if you can. If you are still sstuck applying sunder, fill in your Slam's with the sunder armor refreshes, and your first thing when combat starts, is to slap 5 sunders on the boss.

4. Standard glyphs are Glyph of Rending, Glyph of Execute and Glyph of Mortal Strike. Minors have no affect on any main abilities, but I normally run with Battle, Commanding and Charge.

Your spec should look something like this:

http://talent.mmo-champion.com/?warrior#g0cWyugFW0moL-1,QM83R-,11403

5. During Execute Phase, your rotation looks like this: Rend--->Execute, easy huh? The only thing you have to watch for, is your Deepwounds falling off, when it is about to, you can reapply it with Overpower. You should get 3 non crit executes before having to refresh your deepwounds with OP.

6. Target dummies are your friend, visit them frequently and say hi with a nice smack of your axe for a little bit, you can never stay skilled enough to your rotation.
If you could provide an Armory link, I can assist you further :P

Thanks for the tips. I will put some of this to use.

Fledern
02-17-2010, 10:33 PM
With the way ICC encounters are set up, yes, having a dps offspec is very beneficial. I myself dropped my other prot spec for a dps offspec and i'm encouraging the rest of my tanks to keep their dps gear at competitive levels & providing them enough opportunities to keep their skill levels up during raids.

If you aim for max ilvl badge & crafted gear for your dps set, it's 310 badges plus mats. If you farm really hard all the dailies, that comes out to one week of farming. (Though i cant imagine myself doing 10 heroics a day every day). In the meantime, i'm going to suggest using your trash spec and equipping every crit & str gear you can get your hands on and staying prot. Ii'd suggest you use the spec you're familiar with to make the most out of it. One of our tanks started doing out 3K dps in decent fury gear. He was unfamiliar with it & kept getting ragestarved & missing his slams. You can do equivalent in prot gear/spec.