PDA

View Full Version : Tanking Rate my armory

MrMooky
02-17-2010, 07:42 AM
http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Aggramar&cn=Zyepher

I'm working on some upgrades: Boots from H FOS, mark of relentless, and black heart. As well as the shield from normal HoR. I'm noticing my expertise is rather low. Should I gem a straight +20 into the chest, or do the 10 and +15 stam? Should I change my existing +10 exp +15 stam to +20 stam until I get 26 through gear alone?

MrMooky
02-17-2010, 09:05 AM
Also, what should I buy first with frost emblems?

Voddy
02-17-2010, 09:08 AM
Never gem expertise. It's not worth the loss of something more valuable. Eventually, the gear you get will reach the expertise cap. I'm really not an expert of tanking, so I don't think I should be the one to rate you. But as you said, farm HoR for shield, as that does need replacing, and run through ToC hc for ring and ToC normal for trinket.

Eravian
02-17-2010, 09:22 AM
All in all, I would say your armory is in good order. Your spec looks good, the only glyph change I would suggest for progression raiding is switching out Blocking and taking Glyph of Last Stand. A lot of the steps will be gearing upgrades, which you're already aware of (Black Heart, H FoS, etc.).

As far as gemming, I would say only gem Expertise if you're intentionally trying to match a socket bonus, and then I'd use a Hybrid gem, not a straight Expertise gem. While Expertise is a very nice stat to have, ultimately it's generally not game-breaking if you're low on Expertise, especially since as you change gear you'll see that number fluctuate wildly.

As for Frost Emblems, I would say your best upgrade choice would likely be either the Winter Sentinel's Cloak or the Veridigris Chain Belt, although there are other threads on Tankspot in the Gear & Enchanting Section that can likely help you make up your mind.

MrMooky
02-17-2010, 09:28 AM
All in all, I would say your armory is in good order. Your spec looks good, the only glyph change I would suggest for progression raiding is switching out Blocking and taking Glyph of Last Stand. A lot of the steps will be gearing upgrades, which you're already aware of (Black Heart, H FoS, etc.).

As far as gemming, I would say only gem Expertise if you're intentionally trying to match a socket bonus, and then I'd use a Hybrid gem, not a straight Expertise gem. While Expertise is a very nice stat to have, ultimately it's generally not game-breaking if you're low on Expertise, especially since as you change gear you'll see that number fluctuate wildly.

As for Frost Emblems, I would say your best upgrade choice would likely be either the Winter Sentinel's Cloak or the Veridigris Chain Belt, although there are other threads on Tankspot in the Gear & Enchanting Section that can likely help you make up your mind.

I've read on a few different threads that tanking cloaks are few and far between, so I'll probably shoot for the cloak first.

Selene
02-17-2010, 11:36 AM
Never gem expertise. It's not worth the loss of something more valuable. Eventually, the gear you get will reach the expertise cap. I'm really not an expert of tanking, so I don't think I should be the one to rate you. But as you said, farm HoR for shield, as that does need replacing, and run through ToC hc for ring and ToC normal for trinket.
Ignore the first part of this. Gem for Expertise until you reach 26 Expertise, you want 26 Expertise or as close as you can get, so mobs won't dodge you.
Any particular reason you didn't socket for the bonus on your chest? If you are going to match one socket you might as well match them all.

Farm Reg HoR for the shield, unless you can get a shield from a raid.

Voddy
02-17-2010, 12:49 PM
Gem for expertise at the expense of other stuff? Sure, you do need soft cap of 26, but the only time I would consider filling up a few of my slots to reach the cap is with what Eravian said. If the socket bonuses are good and I'm using a hybrid gem. Guardian's Dreadstone is a decent hybrid gem.

MrMooky
02-17-2010, 02:18 PM
Ignore the first part of this. Gem for Expertise until you reach 26 Expertise, you want 26 Expertise or as close as you can get, so mobs won't dodge you.
Any particular reason you didn't socket for the bonus on your chest? If you are going to match one socket you might as well match them all.

Farm Reg HoR for the shield, unless you can get a shield from a raid.

I haven't filled the red socket yet, as I was waiting on an answer. Second, I don't see any hybrid gem worth it to put in a yellow socket to shoot for the +12 stam bonus.

MrMooky
02-17-2010, 02:19 PM
Also, should I put a nightmare tear in the yellow head socket to hit the socket bonus instead of the +hit +stam hybrid gem?

Selene
02-18-2010, 11:01 AM
Also, should I put a nightmare tear in the yellow head socket to hit the socket bonus instead of the +hit +stam hybrid gem?

Your hit is relatively good.
Put a Hit/Stam if you want more hit or a Def/Stam in there.