PDA

View Full Version : Tanking Frost DK Tank: Alternate rotation/spec questions (TPS)

Pepopawitz
02-16-2010, 02:20 PM
Hello, been a reader for awhile first time posting, etc., etc....
What you need to know about my toon: http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Thunderlord&cn=Nefsen

Anyway, I've been tanking as a DK (in frost)for about a month or two, both learning the spec and attempting to get gear (sitting at about 4.8k GS right now, haven't worked into my guild's raid team yet). For awhile I used the normal AOE rotation - IT, PS, Pest, HB, BB or FS etc. However, running with friends of mine, a mage and a paladin at 5.9k GS and 5.8k respectively, I found the normal rotation to slow for their burst. When I heard about the new 2pT10 DnD tanking I decided to try something new. Basically what I am doing now for AOE pulls is: DnD (glyphed), HB, BB [all for high snap threat], rune tap and BB again if needed, HB and BB again, and if mobs are still IT, PS, Pest, all the while spamming FS and RS when available. So far this rotation seems far superior for my TPS and holding AOE threat. Because I had to sacrifice Obliterate glyph sometimes boss fights can get a little shaky with the mage, but a quick taunt and death-chill with HB seems to do the trick fine (not to mention that more gear would obviously help). I am curious as to what others think of this as I haven't been able to find any comments on such a rotation? Is this viable or am I just getting lucky? Also, I am not entirely happy as I still lose aggro for brief moments if there is a gear enhance shammy or rogue- is this just the nature of the beast? Any overall comments, discussion, what have you, would be great appreciated.

Also: Because of my good but not amazing gear I was considering switching to Blood for all the health/buff percs- is this just a mistake? And will I be just tab targeting until my eyes bleed?

Thanks so much-
Pep.

Edit: Would glyphing HB make more sense, since I'm so reliant on HB?

Selene
02-16-2010, 03:14 PM
For your boots, you want 22 Stam or Tuskarr's for the enchant.

Spec and Glyphs need a tweak.
http://www.wowhead.com/?talent#j0EhZhxe0A0I0c0fuzAo0x:askVmM is a better spec

For Glyphs: Oblit is the core of Frost.
Frost Strike or Rune Strike (RP dump)
Icy Touch or Howling Blast

Pepopawitz
02-16-2010, 03:19 PM
Thanks. I mean, I know the cookie-cutter spec and glyphs, that's why I'm asking.
Am I just missing something then? Applying the diseases just seems to take too long when running with burst dps.

Selene
02-16-2010, 03:23 PM
IDK then, maybe ask the dps to give you a second to get threat?
I only occasionally have threat issues with the randoms, and that is usually when someone ignores my mark and picks their own mob, or is raining AoEs down before I even get my opening out.

Miste
02-16-2010, 05:22 PM
Thanks. I mean, I know the cookie-cutter spec and glyphs, that's why I'm asking.
Am I just missing something then? Applying the diseases just seems to take too long when running with burst dps.
For AoE pulls, DnD-HB-BB-(BT)BB is a fine opener. When the DnD runes are up, apply PS-Pest then HB-BB-Oblit. Use HB on every cooldown. Tab and FS/RS as possible.

Since you are running mostly heroics, the glyph of DnD is excellent. You should swap either glyph of FS or RS to HB. The HB glyph allows you to apply FF and gain all the bonuses when you have FF on a target. That will also make your opening BB hit a little harder.

Don't swap to blood for heroics. Frost is much better for running heroics with people who out-gear you. You aren't logged out in tank gear, so we can't look at it. Your spec is fine for heroics. Morbidity is much better than Blood of the North when you spend 90% of the time doing AoE. If you make it into a raid, you should consider a more traditional DW tanking spec.

Selene
02-16-2010, 05:43 PM
For AoE pulls, DnD-HB-BB-(BT)BB is a fine opener. When the DnD runes are up, apply PS-Pest then HB-BB-Oblit. Use HB on every cooldown. Tab and FS/RS as possible.

Since you are running mostly heroics, the glyph of DnD is excellent. You should swap either glyph of FS or RS to HB. The HB glyph allows you to apply FF and gain all the bonuses when you have FF on a target. That will also make your opening BB hit a little harder.

Don't swap to blood for heroics. Frost is much better for running heroics with people who out-gear you. You aren't logged out in tank gear, so we can't look at it. Your spec is fine for heroics. Morbidity is much better than Blood of the North when you spend 90% of the time doing AoE. If you make it into a raid, you should consider a more traditional DW tanking spec.

Guess I think too much like a Raid Tank than a Heroics Tank. lol