PDA

View Full Version : Warrior Tanking Overview - Am I prepared?

Frostglaive
02-16-2010, 03:09 PM
So I have been looking over guides, reading what is best for tanking, doing my research. My ultimate goal is to be one of the best tanks I can be in ICC for my guild. If people could look at my armory page which is located in my profile, that would be great. As of now I know you can switch out glyphs for certain fights, but I try and stick with the same ones. I go for stamina gems except when needing the Meta requirement, and go for armor as well.

As far as talents go, I have no aggro problems and I don't see it necessary for the reduced rage abilities in the protection tree. One thing I have been wondering though is... is the Commanding Presence, or Improved Demoralizing Shout better than the deep wounds? I prefer deep wounds cause it's extra dps and helps out the Mutilate rogues, or other melee dps in the raid. But is the shouts worth it more? Any hints, tips, or ideas you can give me would be great. Thanks! :)

MrMooky
02-16-2010, 03:40 PM
Shouts are more beneficial in 10 mans, but in a 25 man situation, other classes will have them coverevd for you.

GŁth
02-16-2010, 03:41 PM
Commanding Presence and Improved Demoralizing Shout are not better than Deep Wounds if you look at them from a threat / damage point of view. For survival they're much better than Deep Wounds (which provides no added survival) but which talent choice is better for your raid is more of a personal thing than a set in stone answer.

If you're raiding 25mans chances are you'll have at least 1 dps warrior that can pickup Commanding Presence and/or Improved Demoralizing Shout, 10mans this may not be the case though. Consider your raid composition while choosing talents.

The only thing that stood out as odd to me on your profile was that you have 10% hit (too high) and 1.75% expertise (fairly low). 8% hit is the melee cap, and with the Glyph of Taunt added for fights where it matters that will cap your taunt chance, there is no reason to go above 8% hit from gear. I guess if you're not having threat issues yet then this is negligible.

Can't view talents for some odd reason (for any character profile) so I can't say anything about that. Also, you're missing the extra blacksmith socket in your bracers unless the armory is bugged.

Frostglaive
02-16-2010, 04:04 PM
My hit is where it's at because I am planning on getting new gear that removes hit, hence why I currently have more hit then needed. Also if I recall, it won't let me socket the bracer for it's crafted or something...

MrMooky
02-16-2010, 04:52 PM
My hit is where it's at because I am planning on getting new gear that removes hit, hence why I currently have more hit then needed. Also if I recall, it won't let me socket the bracer for it's crafted or something...

I'm not sure what you meant there.

Frostglaive
02-16-2010, 07:52 PM
What I mean is I want some gear that has no hit that replaces gear that has hit. So that would drop me below 8%. Therefore I have extra hit so when it's replaced, I'll be at 8%.

eazo
02-16-2010, 10:10 PM
What I mean is I want some gear that has no hit that replaces gear that has hit. So that would drop me below 8%. Therefore I have extra hit so when it's replaced, I'll be at 8%.

To be honest, dont let hit substitute for survivability. Hit is nice to have for the extra threat generated but i literally had around 100 hit rating (like 3%) and a ton of expertise during the ToC era and kept aggro fine. Expertise is slightly better to have anyways. The general rule with hit, at least from what i've deduced, is if your holding aggro fine dont worry about. If your missing every other attack and your threat is really suffering then you might need it. Its more of a dps stat.