PDA

View Full Version : Tanking DK Tank: Problems holding aggro

hbarroso
02-16-2010, 01:54 PM
Hey guys, today I was tanking totc25 and I lost aggro on Lord Jaraxxus.. I'm making this thread so you can rate my spec and advice me on any changes I should make, and gems too..

So, what spec and rotation do you use ?

This is my armory: Frango 80 (http://eu.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Grim+Batol&cn=Frango)

By the way, sorry for my bad english :o

Miste
02-16-2010, 02:46 PM
You need to change your weapons to slow/slow instead of fast/fast. Only use fast/fast on fights where the extra survivability of 2 tank weapons is required.

Your expertise is also very low. You should be closer to 26 for threat purposes. Switching to slow/slow DPS weapons will help your hit and expertise ratings.

I'm not an expert on DW tank specs, but your spec looks off. As I understand it, DW tanks have very little room to change up their spec. Check out Satorri's guide for a better spec.

You need to change your glyphs. Every frost DK should use glyph of Obliterate. Put Icy Touch, Rune Strike or Frost Strike in the other 2 glyph slots.

MrMooky
02-16-2010, 02:54 PM
Armory appears messed up as it won't display your spec. Though I can see you have 9 points in unholy which is too much. You should only have 5 in anticipation. You're glyphs aren't good either. Glyph of Obliterate is a must have. Then use either Glyph of Frost Strike or Runic Strike for one, and either Glyph of Howling Blast of Glyph of IT for the other. Also, upgrade those lesser gems.

Selene
02-16-2010, 04:06 PM
Your Spec needs a bit of a tweak http://www.wowhead.com/?talent#j0EhZhxe0A0I0c0fuzAo0x is a better Raid spec for a DW Frost Tank.
Switch your Dodge/Stamina gems to Expertise/Stamina, you want to get at least 26 Expertise.
Your glyphs are all wrong.
Core Glyph for ANY Frost DK is Glyph of Oblit.
Then as a tank you want to have:
Icy Touch or Howling Blast
Frost Strike or Rune Strike

Something else to help with Threat is two Slow DPS weapons. http://www.wowhead.com/?item=50191 and http://www.wowhead.com/?item=50303 are good weapons for that.

vine
02-16-2010, 08:14 PM
Swap all your dodge+stam gems to expertise+stam. 16 expertise is really, really low. You'll be getting dodged and parried constantly, and if you don't hit the boss, you don't generate any aggro.

You are way over defense crit cap, so stop gemming for defense. Replace them with hit+stam gems.

Stop using cheap blue gems, you took up the role of a tank which means you are the first line of defence. You will die the most, have the biggest repair bill, you need to use the best of everything you can to ensure success. This means more dailies and farming for money, but that's the burden we bear.

Replace your cloak enchant with armour or agility.

You are using a dps sigil which I assume is to give you more threat. Once you make the gear changes I listed you should swap back to the tanking sigil.

Stop slacking and level up Mining. The stam bonus from Toughness is very nice.

Make sure you have Rune Strike macrod to EVERY ability.

#showtooltip
/cast Icy Touch
/cast !Rune Strike

#showtooltip
/cast Obliterate
/cast !Rune Strike

Nachtmann
02-17-2010, 10:05 AM
Deathknightbuilds.com indicated recently that Obliterate had been nerfed with the last patch (3.3) and that Scourge Strike should be substituted. Would this change anyone's opinion as far as glyphs and rotation is concerned?

Selene
02-17-2010, 12:13 PM
Deathknightbuilds.com indicated recently that Obliterate had been nerfed with the last patch (3.3) and that Scourge Strike should be substituted. Would this change anyone's opinion as far as glyphs and rotation is concerned?

What does Scourge Strike have to do with this? Scourge Strike is an Unholy DK talent. So unless this threat has somehow changed to an Unholy Tank instead of a DW Frost Tank, its a moot point here.

vine
02-17-2010, 03:35 PM
Scourge Strike is an Unholy talent. Please read the opening post before replying. And if this is a new question, start a thread.

Miste
02-17-2010, 06:37 PM
As the others have said, the OP is looking for frost advice. Oblit is the FU strike for all frost builds.

Additionally, please don't spread misinformation. Obliterate was not nerfed. Unholy talents and skills were changed to better support Scourge Strike over Obliterate.