PDA

View Full Version : Tanking Am I crazy? Warrior tank using DPS wep over Tank wep?

Loganisis
02-16-2010, 10:48 AM
I'm not talking about lower steps of level 80, but rather as you start looking to run ICC or ToTC25 and you can't shed defense fast enough. I'm not quite there and I've already got ~50 Defense Rating I can drop with no problem. However my guild has several comparatively high DPSers which makes maintaining threat somewhat challenging as a warrior tank.

Looking at the stats, I can lose all defense rating from my wep and still be well over capped which means this is basically a Threat versus Avoidance question.

First, my general understanding, tanks want fast weapons. So with that in mind, I'm only looking at DPS weps with weapon speed of 1.8 or less, which seems to be the upper limit for tanking weapons.

Second, this would be for purely wep-damaged based threat benefits so two items that have a negliable difference, obviously the tanking wep with avoidance/mitigation always wins.

Third, I'm not very concerned with Hit/Expertise, as they are needed but not tank/DPS specific.

Fourth, I'm posting here and in the HALP forum because I'm not a top-shelf tank, so I understand this may be a stupid thought. But I haven't found anything discussing it (though to be honest, I did not check all 6000 threads). I have problems holding threats on more than 3 mobs at once, which is why I'm looking to up my threat.

So with that in mind, it would seem that the cost of switching from a tanking Wep to a DPS wep is roughly ~1% avoidance at 251ish to 1.6% avoidance at the top (Silverwing Defender according to MaxDPS) versus a roughly 10-15% bump in base damage for threat generating effects (Devastate, Deep Wounds, Rend, and Cleave).

Has anyone considered this? Has anyone tried this? Is it just crazy talk? Giving up avoidance is never a great idea, but in this case for being able to manage large pulls without having to put to the Pally and DK tanks, it would make me feel better.

MrMooky
02-16-2010, 10:55 AM
I'm no expert, but it would make sense to help with trash pulls. I'd switch back to the tank weapon for a boss fight though, as single target threat on a warrior is easy to hold.

Bashal
02-16-2010, 11:36 AM
Has anyone considered this? Has anyone tried this? Is it just crazy talk?

There's been threads on this before. TLDR is you don't really need it for threat on a warrior. If you have trouble with multiple mobs, assuming people aren't spamming AOE before you even have a chance to get aggro, it's an issue of technique, not your weapon.