PDA

View Full Version : Tanking Prot Warrior Glyph question

Ponder
02-16-2010, 08:00 AM
Sometimes I have trouble holding onto mobs when I'm tanking heroics, especially with trigger-happy pugs who pull very high dps. What kinds of glyphs would you recommend to help me keep aggro? I like my talent build, but I'll look at it too, if you think I can improve it.

At this point, against everyone's recommendation, I've resorted to using a glyph of cleaving, making cleave my most-used ability when tanking trash, second to thunderclap. Using this strategy, I've successfully tanked all three of the Icecrown heroics on my Warrior, albeit with an excellent healer! I still lose aggro, but not so badly that my taunt and throw can't pick them up.

Ponder/Dragonblight

Wowarmory:
http://www.wowarmory.com/character-talents.xml?r=Dragonblight&cn=Ponder&group=1

Muspel
02-16-2010, 08:30 AM
Perosnally, I go with Glyph of Cleave, Glyph of Sunder Armor, and Glyph of Shockwave. It seems to work out fairly well. For minor glyphs, be sure to use Glyph of Thunder Clap. It gives you a bit more margin for error on initial pulls. The other two minor glyphs won't have much effect on AoE tanking, I find.

delix
02-16-2010, 08:30 AM
Threat-wise you definitely should go for Devastate (as you do) to increase burstaggro.
In heroics Glyph of Cleave is a good choice for the second slot because basically its the ability with the highest damage while tanking trashmobs.

I'd say Vigilance maybe is the third best Glyph for threat in heroics but its inferior to the other two.
Another option is glyphed Mocking Blow (more on this here: http://www.tankspot.com/showthread.php?61063-Burst-threat-with-Mocking-Blow-Strange-but-true!).
But actually its more efficient on bosses due to the high cooldown of 60sec.

Regarding your specc there isn't realy a posibility to improve your threat generation.
Some weeks ago I had a cleave-orientated specc (13 points in fury for imp. cleave but no deep wounds) for anub'arak.
I ran most of the heroics with that specc too, because most of the mobs are dead before deep wounds are profitable.
This may be an option for you but the specc sucks in raids and actually even in the 3 icc heroics.

Gehn
02-16-2010, 08:34 AM
I doubt that swapping in glyphs will make your agro issues go away. I would first look at the rotation that you use and the way that you target your mobs. There will be times when high dps will pull off of you. That is the life of a tank. What you can improve on would be your reaction time in targetting the mob that is not on you and taunting.

One thing I have started to do is position the mobs between me and the ranged dps and save my Shockwave. If a dps pulls (I also use TidyPlates to easily show agro on me), a quick shockwave should be enough to at least stun the mob for a quick target/taunt.

Really, it is up to the whole group to manage agro. We just get blamed when they pull.

Bung
02-16-2010, 09:31 AM
Glyph for cleave and sunder armor. Vig a warlock, mage or someone who is aoe'ing the hell outta mobs.

Aggathon
02-16-2010, 10:03 AM
DO NOT GLYPH FOR SUNDER ARMOR!!!!!!!!!!!

For AOE threat, glyph of blocking is MUCH MUCH better imo. The increased damage it gives to damage shield will be much more profitable than the extremely small threat gains from glyph of sunder armor. Glyph of sunder armor applies ZERO bonus threat past the very small innate threat of sunder itself. It is much more efficient to glyph devastate and rotate through mobs. This is higher threat and if you're doing it right, adds sunders just as fast (assuming you weren't glyphed for devastate, devastate + sunder don't stack, but it would be 3 sunders per stack until at least one mob as 5). But still... it's REALLY NOT THAT GOOD GUYS.

Cleave, Devastate, Blocking imo.

I completely agree with Gehn though, if you're having aggro problems there may be other issues too. I've frequently run heroics with like last stand, shield wall, and cleave, and believe me last stand and shield wall glyphs are virtually useless in heroics, I was just too lazy to change all the glyphs out of my raid spec, but cleave is definitely an important one for AoE tanking.

Run in, tclap, start cleaves when you have enough rage, shockwave, tclap, tab devestate/shield slam keeping cleave up as much as possible. Fixate on omen if you have to, but if they really are "insane dps" the mobs will be dead before you can get off another shockwave.

jh7468
02-16-2010, 12:25 PM
I have devastate (a must), vigilance and shockwave.

No doubt you need devastate, so no discussion needed.

The reason I love vigilance is for the threat it gives me without doing a thing. I'll look for a mage or lock, and if not the highest dpd while doing mobs. Then, against the boss, I slap it on the healer.

Shockwave is great for keeping aggro in a mob because it hits them all. If you have a fast weapon cleave may be better, but frankly I prefer tabbing and shield slam/devastate and the shockwave/thunder clap after the cooldown.

You may also find it beneficial, especially as a warrior, to let your group give you few seconds to build up threat before they start. Also, if you are def capped, work up on AP/expertise.