PDA

View Full Version : Valithria Dreamwalker, 10 man.

Raiths
02-15-2010, 11:36 PM
My guild has recently decided to work on Valithria, mainly because it's a more interesting fight and we seem to be getting further on it than others.

Our main problem is that when we have 2/3 healers going into the Dream Portals, the dps & tanks outside have trouble.

Should we have only 1 healer going in or stick to 2 going in and just popping c/ds when they go in?

We usually run with 1 or 2 holy pallies and a holy/disc priest, any tips on healing class make-up for this fight are much appreciated.
Also, I noticed on the Tankspot 10 man guide, it mentioned single tanking this. If anyone could give me some pointers on gear required for this method (and what to do with the extra spot) this would also help.

swelt
02-16-2010, 02:39 AM
Very hard to give specific advice without more info on what's going wrong or a log, so some general tips:

- 2 healers going in should be right. Make sure that they are keeping their stacks rolling between portal trips, when they have 40+ blow heroism (if you had a resto shaman, it helps to send them in so they can perfectly time heroism for the healers benefit, but no big deal if you don't).
- Consider cutting back to 1 tank. It's not the easiest fight to single tank, but it's fun and will increase your dps.
- Raid needs to avoid taking as much damage as possible: stun/interupt mages to prevent frost bolt volleys, handle the abom worms, face the abom away, kite or otherwise kill the zombies so as not to be hit by the explosion and above all else nuke blazing skeletons ASAP

Shortypop
02-16-2010, 02:43 AM
If you're sending 2 healers in you can always send a magic dps class in as well as I believe the buff helps them as well, more dps should mean less raid damage - not sure if 3 people in portals affects how fast they can stack buffs or anything though.

Raiths
02-16-2010, 04:50 AM
Just to clarify, our problem was managing outside when people went into the dream portals, so I think that having another dps go in would make it harder. Also, is it worth kiting the zombies (explosion and -armour debuff), and should melee dps be 'tanking' the Risen Archmagi? Considering single tanking - im doubting whether a tank with -50% armour, 10k dps DoT and 1 healer will manage with all of the adds..

Also, I think we were getting to about 75% on VDW, then being overrun. Might be a soft enrage timer, we were only having 1 healer go in for those attempts (holy priest, limited for healers that week).

swelt
02-16-2010, 05:49 AM
- Yes, kiting the zombies is better than tanking them.
- If your DPS is keeping up, theres no reason the tank can't tank the magi, but if you are falling behind then your dps can stun it and nuke it (depends on your dps makeup probably)
- I solo tank this as a warrior. If I didn't have warbringer hax to run around the room, I'd probably want to make an effort to tank things in a central location (e.g. your one healer that never moves acting as a magnet by the mouth of the dragon, help with the odd misdirect to bring in the aboms, etc).

gacktt
02-16-2010, 11:36 AM
I always found 10man valithra to be pretty weird, even with 4 258-264 healers while going for portal jockey it took forever and the add swarms were kinda big for a 1 tank/5dps/4healer group. ------ Use a pet to tank the magi's if you are starting to get overrun, they hit for about 3-4k on felguards or hunter pets, it's taunt will hold it for a few secs which is enough for ranged dps to kill it.

vine
02-16-2010, 12:14 PM
As a paladin I got some pretty amazing output on this fight. Initially myself and a druid went through the portals and the shammy stayed out while the raid damage was low. Four portals in and we hit heroism, I blew all my cooldowns and was dropping 70k heals. Once heroism dropped the druid stayed out and helped heal the raid as the adds spawn faster. I kept my stacks up and pretty much solo healed Val the rest of the fight.

We solo tanked it, 6:13 long.

Quinafoi
02-16-2010, 03:11 PM
If you have problems with people surviving outside, run 4 healers. Have two of your healers stay out to heal the raid, have two others assigned to the boss. This is of course largely reliant on the number of hybrids your group brings. Our 10 man has sufficient DPS that we drop to 1 tank, 4 DPS, and 5 healers (3 on the boss, 2 on the raid) to make the encounter as short as possible. This fight is mostly about finding the right balance between DPS and healing. The more healing you can afford to put on the boss, the better. However you can't sacrifice DPS to the point that they can't kill the adds fast enough. Also, naturally with experience your DPS will handle target switchs smoother and do their job more efficiently and as their efficiency increases they can handle more with less. Also don't be afraid to have people respec, if it gets the kill thats what matters. When you get stronger with the encounter you can likely do it without requiring respecing.

Mindy
02-17-2010, 11:30 AM
Certain things can minimize raid damage which will help healers a ton and focus more on the boss, like:

-Have one person full-time on interrupting aoe frostbolts.
-Kiting the blistering zombie away from everyone (and the boss) with a ranged DPS
-Kill order (we go fire skellie, supressor, risen archmage/blistering zombie, abom (rot worms are imbetween skellie and archmage/blistering))

I also think single tanking is fine for 10-man. How long the fight lasts depends on how well your healers are stacking those buffs.