PDA

View Full Version : Tanking Tanking Ring Choices

Sandraudiga
02-15-2010, 08:19 AM
Currently I am using the Revered Ashen Verdict Ring, and the Clutch of Fortification. I have been looking into other ring upgrades currently, and it occured to me I might be missing some of the obvious choices.

Since armor seems to be essentially king atm, how do people thinking the Signified Ring of Binding(Ony25) compares to the rep ring? The armor proc is nice in theory, but in practice its just terrible. Would the static 800 armor on the Ony ring, with the acceptable stam, resists and def rating be worth trading in for the rep rings str, dodge, hit and def rating?

I am currently a bit over the hit that I need, and way over the def cap. The strength for threat is also nice, but i've yet to come into an issue with threat. That leaves the real trade off being 800 armor and resists against some dodge.

What about the Toc10 twin valks ring, would the reg version of that also be considered a viable replacement for the rep rings?

eazo
02-15-2010, 08:39 AM
I personally use the rep ring, although thats mainly b/c i'm dieing for hit right now. Your right about the proc its not too hot as its proc rate is rather on the low side. To be honest if you can get your hands on the ring of binding i would replace it. The extra armor is really nice. Although, i do see some people using the rep ring. I really think that its situational, If you need the hit i guess its a good substitute. I've seen a lot of people use it and many not use it. If your comfortable with your armor right now then i guess the ring of binding and the rep ring would be nice (mainly for the amount of stats it gives and for the off chance that a proc happens at a good time)

Muroku
02-15-2010, 09:13 AM
I roll with the exhaulted ashen verdict ring and the juggernauts band from Deathwhisper 25. Both are easy to get and you cant beat the stam on either.

veneretio
02-15-2010, 07:25 PM
Ony25 ring + Heroic ToC10 valk ring is basically ideal until you can get your hands on Devium's Eternally Cold Ring (http://www.wowhead.com/?item=50185).

Dragaan
02-16-2010, 12:54 AM
I roll with the exhaulted ashen verdict ring and the juggernauts band from Deathwhisper 25. Both are easy to get and you cant beat the stam on either.

Actually, the harbinger's bone band (from icc trash) gives more avoidance than the juggernaut band for most tanks, but you get an additional 35ish hit rating. Jugg band is a pretty bad ring (unless you like the strength for whatever reason).

The best ring choices right now for survival are the ony25 ring, the togc10 twins ring, and devium's ring (dreamwalker25). The ony25 ring is usually better than the togc10 ring, but the added strength and stam can be nice on some fights. I consider them about equal overall.

Kazeyonoma
02-16-2010, 11:39 AM
Sigh, I wish I got the ONY 25 ring, I've only got the ONY 10 ring, so I've been using the exalted rep ring for the extra HP. I might reconsider going back to the ONY 10 ring, 700 armor is a lot =T I just wish the uptime on the damn rep ring wasn't so low =(

jugggernaut
02-16-2010, 01:08 PM
The Rep Ring seems to be a really good choice for the high stats and socket. Armor on rings is ridiculously good, I recently got lucky and picked up the one from 10Togc,using Clutch of Fort before. The EH returns you get from additional armor is a great stat, especially in ICC.

Molecule
02-16-2010, 01:27 PM
I wear the Ony 25 ring and the triumph badge ring for most content (I don't have the ToGC 10 ring). I switch them out for the exalted AV ring and another less armor oriented ring for fights where my main concern is magic spike damage or non-mitigable damage (BQL off tank and deathwhisper).

Bowen
02-16-2010, 07:36 PM
Dreamwalker 25 and twin valks HM ring at the moment, the proc on the rep ring was just plain awful : /

Bodasafa
02-17-2010, 07:39 PM
Currently using: http://www.wowhead.com/?item=50404 and http://www.wowhead.com/?item=50185. I also have http://www.wowhead.com/?item=48027 , however since they upped the proc rate of the Ashen ring, it seems to fall short in comparison.

Papapaint
02-17-2010, 08:19 PM
Currently using: http://www.wowhead.com/?item=50404 and http://www.wowhead.com/?item=50185. I also have http://www.wowhead.com/?item=48027 , however since they upped the proc rate of the Ashen ring, it seems to fall short in comparison.

When did they do that? I'm close to 99% sure they never upped the proc rate.

Bodasafa
02-17-2010, 09:37 PM
When did they do that? I'm close to 99% sure they never upped the proc rate.

They never announced it to my knowledge, but I had a special frame set up to track its proc rate. Since the last minor patch update it has been increased significantly. Its not a 100% up time or anything, but it procs more.

Sandraudiga
02-18-2010, 04:55 AM
After reading the post about increased proc rate, I did some fairly exact testing.

First thing I did was test the cooldown, pulled 3/4 of the stockades, let them hit me from behind and watched the cooldown using Proculos. First CD was 63 seconds, next 61, and then 60. After 30 minutes, and 3 deaths, the cd never dropped lower. So the internal cooldown is definately 60 seconds. Uptime for that was just under 15%.

I think pulled 4 mobs in stockades and let them hit me from behind for another 30 minutes. Cooldown never lowered, and the uptime dropped to 4.2%.

I've had it on for a toc10 raid, and an icc raid since then, and its uptime in toc was 2.1%, and icc 3.2%.

So the proc rate really hasn't been increased.

Given the 60 seconds cooldown and 10 second durection the max possible uptime is what? 16-17%? If it actually ever hit that in any real usage I might warm to it, but atm, the proc is total garbage.

Bodasafa
02-18-2010, 10:16 PM
Actually your right. Although I had a frame to show when it proc'd and it seemed like more, I did some digging through recent logs from last week and tonight.

Putricide 25, Tanking Putricide for 9 min 23 sec, got 4 procs for a 7.1% up time.

Blood Council 25, Tanking Val for 6 min 15 sec, got 2 procs for a 5.3% up time.

Everything about the Exalted version of this ring is better than the Twin Valks Heroic, aside from the base armor, so I still find it to be better.

However the proc rate is pretty sad.

Airowird
02-19-2010, 01:52 AM
I believe that someone did the math and the proc made the ring be worth about 8-10 ilvl less. So for easy comparing, it's still a decent 268 tank ring, which does beat a 245 one. The hit and yellow socket vs the armor and the blue socket is the only difference, but in the end it's still an upgrade.

Aggathon
02-19-2010, 01:53 AM
The base armor is a ton of EHP though, the twin valks ring is actually more EHP than the exalted ring (not counting the armor proc, which I see as too low to matter). I think when I originally ran the calcs the H-Twin Valks ring was better than the exalted ring as far as raw EHP is concerned. I've been using the exalted ring in conjuction with the twin valk's ring though, but I also never saw the ony ring drop.

Kojiyama
02-19-2010, 05:30 PM
I believe that someone did the math and the proc made the ring be worth about 8-10 ilvl less. So for easy comparing, it's still a decent 268 tank ring, which does beat a 245 one. The hit and yellow socket vs the armor and the blue socket is the only difference, but in the end it's still an upgrade.

Yes, it's significantly underbudget. Not sure why it hasn't been fixed yet.

Anyway, I used Exalted Rep Ring + Twins ring until I got Devium's the other day. I have Signified Ring of Binding as well, but preferred the Twins ring overall. Signified is better for EH, but not quite as good for overall stats.

Either way, general rule: use the highest ilevel ring you can get with Armor on it. That generally works fine. ;)

I would personally ignore all the rings without armor on them if you can. (I count the Exalted ring as an armor item due to the proc, and due to the fact that it is just all-around good even though the proc is kinda fail. The socket gives it enough EH to be valuable.)

Fetzie
02-19-2010, 08:57 PM
I am generally seeing around 20 exalted ring proccs over a 4 hour raid evening. Take the rep ring for the stats, not the procc. As soon as I get another 264 ring, I'm getting the DPS version :)

Dragaan
02-20-2010, 11:02 AM
Yea, most tanks are better off just getting the harbinger's bone band, if they MUST have a ring with +hit on it, and picking up the dps ring (unless you literally never dps/pvp). Most serious tanks probably have the togc10 ring by now, and there are plenty of other choices for the 2nd slot.