PDA

View Full Version : Druid Threat - Some advice please.

dracosveen
02-15-2010, 12:33 AM
Hi,

I am currently MT/OT progressing through ICC10/25. I feel I am having problems with my threat generation compared to all other tanks and was hoping for some advice. I have read several threads on the subject, some more recent than others, but none have really given me something relevant to work with.

Currently unbuffed I am sitting with the following:
Damage: 1248 - 1607
Speed: 3.12
Power: 1935
Hit Rating: 226
Crit Chance: 28.28%
Expertise: 21

My rotation is based on what I have been able to understand from most posts I have read:
Pull Rotation -
Taunt or FFF
Mangle
Lacerate x3
FFF
Mangle
Lacerate x2

Cruise Rotation -
FFF
Mangle
Lacerate (for refresh)
Swipe x2
Rinse and Repeat.

I have Maul macro'ed into my Mangle, Swipe and Lacerate buttons.

So my issues are and what I need advice on, when I am cruising I am doing about 4k - 5k TPS. I really have to push it to get 6k and then I can't keep it there. Meanwhile tanks around me are doing 9k+....some DKs doing 12k+. I have tried going through EJ threads but yawn.....so much of the posts are waffle, u really have to spend hours looking and searching to find something useful. Some of the things I have tried are re-gemming everything to Expertise just to see if that helped. The gain in TPS was negligible compared to the health, dodge, armor etc that I lost so I went back to stam and agility.

So right now I think that TPS is my main problem. I am raiding with some of the best DPS on my server and I really don't want to get kicked off of the raid team because I cannot at least keep up with the other tanks or stay ahead of the dps, so any advice or links to articles I may not have read or considered would be a great help and much appreciated.

My armory link: http://armory.wow-europe.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Nagrand&cn=Purpless&gn=Puzzles in case it may shed some light and help with any advice.

Thanks in advance.

Anomalies
02-15-2010, 12:57 AM
I don't see an issue with your rotation, but I do see some issues with your gear. If you are progressing through ICC 25 with very good DPSers you are going to have issues considering the gear you are wearing. It's hard because you won't get a solid upgrade until plagueworks on your weapon, but ilvl 232 is going to nerf your threat pretty badly compared to others rocking 264's. Also, you should get your 2 piece t10 which gives 20% more swipe damage. I would have went for this even before the vengeful noose, but can't go back in time so it should be something to shoot for in the near future.

P.S. Here's my armory http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Medivh&cn=Anomalies. Lots of upgrades there, but you can see my general stats don't mind the cat gemming on boots and stuff I share them with both specs. I'm normally pulling threat off the other tanks though if I'm not careful.

felhoof
02-15-2010, 11:23 AM
First off, assuming you don't have imp mangle your rotation should look like this:

Lacerate at 3 seconds or less on the stack
Mangle if it's off CD
FF if it's off CD
swipe

For building up threat early, the way I do it is:

FF boss, charge
Mangle
Lacerate
Berserk
Mangle x 6
lacerate
Mangle x 3

Then keep doing lacerate to get your stack up to 5.

Your spec is odd; why do you have 2/3 in imp mangle? But the biggest thing by far is that you don't have primal precision. That's a huge threat boost right there that you're misisng. Take the two points from imp mangle and put them in primal precision. For your gear specifically that would gain you about 5% more threat.

Dracunis
02-15-2010, 11:25 AM
Your rotation looks fine, your gear will get better with time but there are two things i can say about this:

Your expertise is low, this is the second best threat stat after hit, once your hit capped, expertise becomes the best. Two is you will never be able to keep up with the main tank's threat, it you are not being hit you are not generating maximum threat, your normally being rage starved so keeping maul up can be hard.

One thing i can suggest to neglect being over powered with threat is to talk with your MT about allowing you to taunt 4-5 mins into a boss fight to boost your threat, he can taunt it off you right after, but you will keep that extra threat you generated to get ahead of any dps that had you at the time.

good luck.

GŁth
02-15-2010, 01:12 PM
Your expertise is low, this is the second best threat stat after hit, once your hit capped, expertise becomes the best.

I think you've got that backwards.

felhoof
02-15-2010, 03:26 PM
To be clear - expertise is the best threat stat before you're dodge-capped on expertise (26 expertise skill). After that, hit is the best threat stat, followed closely by expertise. Since he's below the dodge cap the two points from primal precision would be a huge threat boost compared to anything else he could do.

Dracunis
02-15-2010, 05:26 PM
Sorry i got them mixed up, i thought it was hit till cap then expertise... I was figuring in after your dodge capped.

With that what is a good mark for expertise raiding in ICC25? I currently sit at 37.

felhoof
02-16-2010, 08:53 AM
There's no specific mark to be at. You should have more than dodge cap, but after that it really depends on what your other stats are and more importantly what your other raiders are. If you're having threat problems, more expertise is good. If you're not, it's not as good. Simple as that.