PDA

View Full Version : Tanking need help with advanced topic of damage reduction.

Joacimcans
02-14-2010, 11:21 PM
I have a decent understanding of how the attack table for melee swings works assuming what i read was correct it is a roll system that checks down the list going

miss
dodge
parry
block
normal hit

not sure where crit would fall in that list but it is not important since you should be crit immune.

The thing that I do not understand and i can not really find anywhere is what happens when it is determined that a hit is going to happen what is the order of how damage is reduced and I also would like to know how different abilities interact with each other.

Example 1 lets say that a mob/boss hits for 100,000 damage on a melee swing and i have 30981 armor which tooltip reads as physical damage taken reduced by 67.04% I am a warrior in defensive stance it reads i get 10% reduced damage. How much damage would this melee swing hit me for?

Example 2 same as above 100,000 physical damage 30981 armor in defensive stance and then i have the buffs of blessing of sanc 3% reduced damage and Inspiration 10% reduced physical damage how much would the swing hit for?

Example 3 same as above except add in talented shield wall or pain suppression for another 40% reduced damage.

Example 4 slightly different this time it is a 100,000 hit of spell damage lets say for simplicity that is is not resistable as a warrior you get the base 10% reduced damage from D stance then with talents it is another 6% so 16% magical damage reduction then add in 3% reduction from blessing of sanc and 40% from pain suppression/shield wall. What would the damage be on this attack?

The last question i have is where do absorbs from sacred shield, power word shields, and divine aegis come in to absorb damage?

Zyffyr
02-15-2010, 01:08 AM
Percentage based damage reductions are applied multiplicatively, order is irrelevant.

So, for example 1:
Final damage is .3296 (armor) * .9 (Def stance) = .2966, so 29.66% of the raw hit

Ex2 : .3296 (armor) * .9 (Def stance) * ,97 (BoSanc) * .9 (Inspiration) = .2590 or 25.9% of the raw hit.

Blocks and Absorbs come after all percentage reductions, but I don't remember off the top of my head what order they are applied in.

Satorri
02-15-2010, 08:38 AM
Zyffyr says it right, they're multiiplicative so order is unimportant unless you're trying to calculate the proportion of overall damage reduced by each portion.

% reductions come before Block/Absorbs (which is important for Absorbs as you will eat through bubbles slower if your gear is mitigating more).

Kojiyama
02-15-2010, 09:58 AM
Block should happen before Absorbs, as Absorbs should only apply to damage actually 'dealt' to you.