PDA

View Full Version : Tanking Troubles with Professor Putricide - Slime Puddles

Zoldaniex
02-14-2010, 02:36 PM
Hey Tankspot readers.
Our guild has a problem with the slime puddles in ICC10.
Our Off-Tank is the abomination as Aliena suggested in her guide.
So we start the fight, kill adds (little chaotic but we kill them :P), and the tank eats the puddles.

But the problem is that as the tank eats the puddles, they don't shrink!
And she doesn't stack enough energy in time for the first add to come up.

Someone can advice on it?

Thanks.

Inaoe
02-14-2010, 02:58 PM
For the first two puddles, don't drink them too quickly. When he throws the first two bottles wait a second or two, start on one, drink two times but do not destroy the puddle, move to the second one, remove it completely, then the first one. By the time the first experiemt is about to start the abo should have more than enough energy for the slow. After that, drink as fast as possible, but always make sure there are actually two puddles. I've seen only one puddle created sometimes. About the puddles not shrinking ... I don't know. Never happened to me.

Edgewalker
02-14-2010, 04:11 PM
The sad and only answer is that she is simply too slow at eating puddles. Even if you instantly eat both of the puddles off the spawn you will always have enough energy now for a slow. She isn't hitting the buttons as fast as they need to be hit, or she is running at 600 MS with a delay.

phaze
02-14-2010, 09:12 PM
And she doesn't stack enough energy in time for the first add to come up.

Keep in mind that the Abomination is actually a vehicle, and suffers from the same server-side checks as other vehicles. There's a delay upon standing over a puddle before the Abom is registered as being allowed to consume them. If your Abom driver is moving around, the server may not be allowing them to eat properly.

Best advice is to make sure your Abom is centered in the middle of the puddle, then stop moving completely while you're trying to suck up the puddle.

If your Abom driver gets to the point where they're eating the puddles correctly but they're not gaining enough energy before the first add, then slow down as mentioned in the above posts.

Fledern
02-14-2010, 11:56 PM
Each puddle is 26 energy (well, before they start growing at least), so the first 2 puddles that are up should be adequate to give the 50 for regurgitate. (Last night we had a problem where the tank kited putricide too fast and he put out only 1 puddle, but that's an exception).

There are two key things to eating puddles. One has been mentioned.

1) If your abom moves at all, it completely resets the eating cycle and introduces a few seconds of stop between eats. Best is to jump to the middle (it's ok to be a little off, better to not move due to delays after moving than trying to get to the exact middle) and preferably in a facing appropriate to the next ooze spawn.

2) DO NOT spam the eat button. If you spam it, the abom will get energy but the puddle wont get smaller. The eat button has a gcd of 1 sec i think. Your abom driver needs to watch that cooldown very carefully and eat on every gcd. If she gets perfect timing, she should have enough time to eat both puddles, regurgitate and smack a ton of hp off the ooze as well as giving it the mutated slash debuff. Hell, if your putricide tank is kiting good too, you can even get a few hits on him on the way. Generally i find that if i time perfectly and IMMEDIATELY run to puddles as soon as they spawn, i take 5 "eats" off each puddle to finish them and have time enough for dps. Last night i was topping the dps meters with my abom :P

Shortypop
02-15-2010, 12:41 AM
My experience -

- you dont have to stand still until you turn into an abom, so head back to the ranged camp so you are in place by the time you turn into the abom
- he puts puddles on people, and if you watch carefully you can see him throw them out, I stay on range and eat any there first - you want to minimise running time until you are happy with things
- have to admit I'm a spammer of the "eat" button and haven't had a problem, only problem can be if two puddles are really close together it can be hard to distinguish between them
- stand central, in the slightly brighter middle
- safest to eat the first one as fast as possible and then to take the second a little slower if needed.

Bigbad
02-15-2010, 03:17 AM
Spam that 1 button till your finger bleeds (or maybe slightly less hard)

Shorty gave some good advice. Once you get the puddles under control you will want to dps the add between puddles, the abomination doesnt have a global cooldown so you can use 2 abilities at once aka even more spamming.

Darksend
02-15-2010, 10:59 AM
If there is only 1 puddle on the pull the second one was targeted on the person getting into the abom and thus immuning it and causing it not to spawn. If this happens you need to just let it grown when you get 20 energy and just keep letting it grow until you have enough for a slow. Also, its not like the achievement is to do it with zero slows, so it is not the end of the world if the very first slime is not slowed. Just make sure that everyone knows to get away until it targets someone.

Aggronaught
02-15-2010, 11:04 AM
The sad and only answer is that she is simply too slow at eating puddles. Even if you instantly eat both of the puddles off the spawn you will always have enough energy now for a slow. She isn't hitting the buttons as fast as they need to be hit, or she is running at 600 MS with a delay.

this statement is false.

if he only crease one puddle and you eat it out immidiately you will not have enough energy for a slow (afaicr you need 40 energy).

the first reply here basically covers how not to get in that situation..go ez on the first puddle/clear 2nd one..then go back to first.

Edgewalker
02-15-2010, 11:10 AM
this statement is false.

if he only crease one puddle and you eat it out immidiately you will not have enough energy for a slow (afaicr you need 40 energy).

the first reply here basically covers how not to get in that situation..go ez on the first puddle/clear 2nd one..then go back to first.

"So we start the fight, kill adds (little chaotic but we kill them :P), and the tank eats the puddles.

And she doesn't stack enough energy in time for the first add to come up."

Clearly not what their issue is.
Even if that IS occasionally their issue, the first add is a green one, which is extremely easy to work around. If the problem is that the puddles aren't going away fast enough, the only
answer is player error.

Prunetracy
02-15-2010, 12:38 PM
Yeah, she's just not hitting the button fast enough. Spam the hell out of it. I have number 1 macroed to spam as long as I keep it pressed (woot n52te). It is immensely useful in this fight. I was falling behind until I set that up.

The ability has no cast time, no channel, can be done on the move, and can simultaneously be cast along with the slash if there's something to attack nearby. Our tank puts putricide by the puddles whenever possible so I can put dps on him while drinking.

GŁth
02-15-2010, 02:06 PM
I have number 1 macroed to spam as long as I keep it pressed (woot n52te).

I would not recommend telling people this, it can get you banned. (It's considered a form of botting by blizzard)

Tieren
02-18-2010, 03:00 PM
The way I do this fight is that I always make sure the abom is directly in the middle of a slime pool and then just spam 1 until it's greyed out.

Another thing to note is that it can take a few seconds after stepping onto a slime pool for the game to recognize that you're standing on it.

Waiting for a slime pool to grow is almost never a good idea.

Vlad
02-20-2010, 01:57 PM
The sad and only answer is that she is simply too slow at eating puddles.

Yeah theres the problem, if I drive the abom theres never more than one tiny puddle up at a time. In fact they die so fast I spend most of my time meleeing the boss or adds, usually I can put down about 1.5mill abom melee dmg in a 10 man.
There is one trick and that to to stand right in the middle of the puddle or the abom can take a second or two figuring out where it is.
Our guild play on an average 400ms ping.

Nyth
02-22-2010, 12:44 PM
I usually do the abomination for my guild.

And this sounds like a player error. My experiences on this fight:

- Usually I run in (in Unholy Presence usually but its not needed) and try to run back to the raid before i turn into an abomination, this way I'm ready to go the moment i turn.
- The first 2 puddles can be eaten straight away. Some people here say that you should juggle them but that's really not needed, ever. I generally end up with 55-60 energy. That's plenty for the first slow.
- The eating is really strict. And you should prioritze puddles over anything else. Assuming you spam the hell out of your eat ability you have about 5 seconds to spare between puddles. Once you fall behind, it's nearly impossible to catch up ! So make sure there are NEVER more than 2 puddles up
- Given the exception that you don't get a bug, you should never really have a shortage of energy. I generally have about 50-60 energy during phase 1 and usually I'm at 100 energy in phase 2.
- Putricide seems to bug now and then giving only 1 slime pool instead of 2. Sometimes this happens in phase 2, which (for me) isnt a problem since i have a generous amount. In phase 1 it sucks though. I haven't found a single cause for the bug yet, but i've noticed that moving the boss to fast causes it and also mages using Mirror Image tend to cause it. Apparently a Mirror Image is marked as a target but doesn't spawn the slime.

So as a rule for myself:
1) Eat every slime patch as soon as it spawns. Both slime patches give at least 52 energy but often more and they spawn between each add phase so you should always have enough energy to work with
2) I generally slow the add right before it locks on (check the cast bar), that way I maximize the slow effect. If your DPS is good enough though you can apply it the second it spawns to aid with that extra bit of dps from the DoT.
3) I generally help dps the adds, there is usually enough time in between slime patches to do exactly this, and it helps the raid quite a lot. The abom hits hard, and applies sunders which is nice for when the melee get there (if you use them).
4) ALWAYS prioritize new slime patches. If you wait to long, you'll fall behind. And if you fall behind you get into a domino effect.

It's nearly worked out into a rotation that goes like this:
1) Eat 2 slime puddles
2) Green add spawns as soon as you finish the 2nd
3) Run over and start meleeing
4) Slow when it nearly locked on to someone
5) Run along with it and dps, help catch the knockback (abom takes dmg too)
6) Just as the add explodes the first time (or slightly before) 2 new patches are up, start slurping those
7) Once you're done with the 2 patches the orange add spawns
8) Melee orange add and slow it just before it locks on
9) Run along and melee the add
10) Halfway into killing it 2 new slime patches spawn and you slurp them.
11) As you finish them the green add spawns
12) Rince and repeat

The only reason it can go bad is if you mess up the slime pools and fall behind (either due to MS or simply not focusing on eating enough, spam the button like you mean it); Lose focus on the slime pools and fall behind; The fight bugs and you get one slime pool, especially at the beginnning this can wipe you.
The last is unlucky phase transitions. These require some tactic and luck.

Hope this helps

Zoldaniex
02-22-2010, 05:22 PM
I want to thank everyone for their reply's, the eating of the slimes is going better now, we are now focusing on the 3rd Phase. We keep on dying from the DoT :P

Norfolk
02-23-2010, 01:31 AM
If you have a disc priest or restoration druid you can ask them to chuck a Rapture (priest) or Revitalize (druid) for some easy extra energy. This helps a ton when doing the SE Unholy Infusion quest.

Zurena
02-23-2010, 09:21 AM
I know our abom tank took a little while to get the vehicle management down. He also asks for Rapture if he's at like 46 when an add is going to spawn, that will help.

On phase 3 the DoT is a nasty one. Watch your stacks, various taunt patterns will work but you don't really want the phase to go past 4 stacks each. Dps needs to burn every cooldown to get through phase 3 as quickly as possible. My husband is boomkin on that fight and he pops his trees at the beginning and then holds the second cast for when we go into phase 3.

One other thing we noticed make sure your ranged is not hanging out too close to the boss - if he does the malleable goo will go into melee, likely hitting your heals and everything goes splat shortly after. Once we fixed that it worked. We have the ranged travel from the table down the center line towards the door while the melee group goes slow but steady counter clockwise from the table along the wall.

Rude
02-25-2010, 02:11 PM
I've never had the problem with the puddles not shrinking while "spamming" the button. I do prefer having it bound to the mousewheel though. Even better if you have a mouse with a free spinning wheel option. But that lets me keep the eating going while I'm hitting the other button to attack slimes. Though you should be trying to never get behind on eating slime puddles, I've had occasions where I had to go chasing after a slime in an effort so save someone from themselves (or others). In that case, prioritize puddles that are out in the center of the room. If you get behind, leaving one near the edges of the room isn't going to hurt you as bad.

The bug I run into is with one puddle spawning or none at all. Usually one isn't a problem, but none can really screw you. I've had one attempt where I got the first two puddles, snared the green slime, and then had no puddles spawn before the brown one. That was a short run.

That stupid mousewheel / button spam thing just reminds me of the one thing I don't miss about my prot warrior in the slightest.

Vlad
02-26-2010, 06:06 PM
I did hear somewhere that the abom consumes puddles slower the lower the abom health is.. dunno if it's true or not tho.

Haruk
03-15-2010, 09:56 AM
I'm working out some macros for our next attempt on Putricide and wanted to see if anyone more versed in macros could point out any flaws before our next wipe. :)

Melee & Ranged Macro

/cleartarget
/tar Volatile Ooze
/tar [noexists][dead] Gas Cloud
/tar [noexists][dead] Professor Putricide
/startattack

Abomination Macros

/cleartarget
/tar Volatile Ooze
/tar [noexists][dead] Professor Putricide
/cast Mutated Slash
/cast Eat Ooze

(Mutated Slash doesn't have a GCD from what I have read so this macro should allow you to drink ooze and whack a mob at the same time if they are in range.)

/cleartarget
/tar Volatile Ooze
/cast Regurgitated Ooze

(This should allow abomination to use one button to target and slow the slime and cloud)

I'd also be interested in seeing what others are using if different than what I'm attempting to do.

Thanks in advance
Haruk

Maat
03-15-2010, 01:56 PM
Other than being quite baffled as to why one would needtargeting macros for driving the abom at all... Personally, a good set of nameplates and six minutes worth of wrist stamina for jamming 1 and 3 have worked just fine.

I wouldn't use a /target and the slow cast in the same macro. You want to toss the slow out near the end of the slime's targeting cast to maximize the slowing duration, rather than tossing it as soon as it spawns.

xulev
03-16-2010, 08:54 AM
People with bad lag and/or framerate tend to have a problem on the abomination. Plus the fact the PP is probably the worst fight for you if you have low framerates.

Honestly if you have done the abomination 3 times you should be a master of it. ie never not have energy for the snare and also be helping with mutated slash on pp and the adds. One thing of note is that mutated slash is on a seperate cooldown from the slime puddle button.

IF someone is laggy and/or bad frame rate they should only concentrate on puddles. Even if they have to stand there doing nothing.

Watch them in the abomination and if you see the abom ghosting around a bit... they are lagged out and you might want to find someone else to do it

Jin17
03-16-2010, 11:00 AM
Just as has been said above the trick is to have the center of the abomination exactly in the center of the slime puddle, anything off from the central vertical axis even by a bit can result in not being able to suck out the slime, that's probably the cause of your problem right now.

swelt
03-17-2010, 02:59 AM
Be careful using macros. When you get in a vehicle (like the abom) it changes your default action bars. Make sure you have the macros on another bar and hotkeyed.

Shortypop
03-17-2010, 03:17 AM
The only time I have problems with targetting oozes as the Abom driver is if I'm eating puddles right at the back of the room on the opposite side to current spawning ooze (usually only there if he's slimed after green knockback on ranged (and so ranged are further away than normal)), between a lot of melee and Putricide it can be hard to target the slime - I just target a melee and target their target :)

EDITTED for clarity - this is using blizzard default nameplates, sometimes I can be just that far away that I they do not appear on my screen.

Edgewalker
03-17-2010, 07:42 AM
The only time I have problems with targetting oozes as the Abom driver is if I'm eating puddles right at the back of the room on the opposite side to current spawning ooze (usually only there if he's slimed after green knockback on ranged (and so ranged are further away than normal)), between a lot of melee and Putricide it can be hard to target the slime - I just target a melee and target their target :)

I have no idea why people report this issue and refuse to use nameplates. Nameplates are about as good as it gets for a large quantity of fights.

MestHoop
03-22-2010, 08:39 AM
Something I've noticed is that when I start the fight I tend to be able to smack putri once before the puddles spawn (gotta be fast though), because the people are somewhat stacked up the puddles are often close to putri, so you're able to smack him while eating the puddles.... When you do this there's a chance you cancel the eating animation, smack and eat again while smacking... This has lead to not getting the full energy from a puddle for me.
Now most of the time this is NOT important and actually makes the puddles dissapear faster, but on the first 2 puddles it's ESSENTIAL you get the max energy from the puddles (I tend to be on 30 after eating the entire first 1).

So don't hit stuff while eating unless you have energy to spare :D

Edgewalker
03-22-2010, 09:57 AM
Something I've noticed is that when I start the fight I tend to be able to smack putri once before the puddles spawn (gotta be fast though), because the people are somewhat stacked up the puddles are often close to putri, so you're able to smack him while eating the puddles.... When you do this there's a chance you cancel the eating animation, smack and eat again while smacking... This has lead to not getting the full energy from a puddle for me.
Now most of the time this is NOT important and actually makes the puddles dissapear faster, but on the first 2 puddles it's ESSENTIAL you get the max energy from the puddles (I tend to be on 30 after eating the entire first 1).

So don't hit stuff while eating unless you have energy to spare :D

That's simply not true. You get the energy, animation or no.

Unger
03-22-2010, 04:07 PM
One quick thing. A lot of higher end shadow priests sill freqently cast levitate on themselves (and others) before (or even during if there is nothing to dps, like phase change) a fight. The reason is that they have trinkets they can proc that buff dps.

One of the bugs on this fight is that if the slime targets a player who is levitated, it will despawn the slime, which would only give you one. Also, you can have a player targeted who is close to a wall which makes it hard to target the slime.

Those prob represent most of the single slime bugs that I am aware of.

Have your spriests click off their levitate and move people away from walls. You should be fine.