PDA

View Full Version : Tanking Blood Queen

Amaranthine
02-13-2010, 05:55 PM
So my guild has been focusing primarily on Blood Queen Lanathiel (or however you spell that) on 25 reg mode, we always seem to get through a few bites and then someone gets MCed for not biting in time, DPS diverts, healers divert, and wipe.

The question i have is who does the first bite go to? The way I understand it it goes to the highest on the threat list short of the two tanks. That way you can predict and make a rational bite order, so the RL can focus on his/her job, and not suffer because he's shouting directions to everyone.

Also, healers seem to have a problem keeping up on tanks, I usually MT along with a DK OT (since he can anti magic shield the pure shadow dmg). My armory link is here (http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Mok'Nathal&cn=Amaranthine)

Am i not highly/properly geared? Do healers suck? Maybe more healers?

Also, last question :), whats the max cap for defense? I'm sitting at 557 right now, i can't remember the number where the stat just stops helping completely.

Any helpful replies are much appreciated :D

GŁth
02-13-2010, 07:32 PM
There is no attainable max cap for defense, the avoidance and mitigation you gain from defense does suffer diminishing returns but realistically you'll never get 0 returns on it with current gear, even if you gem and enchant defense in every slot.

You should regem those parry gems to dodge/stam (or expertise/stam, agi/stam) because parry is the worst stat to gem for if you want avoidance.

Many tanks will also recommend changing your trinket choices, just because you lose 20% dodge from ICC doesn't mean you need to use both trinket slots on avoidance trinkets. Your armor and health is kind of on the low side compared to most tanks in 25man currently, you should focus on items with bonus armor on them and if you're having trouble on Blood Queen having higher armor will help both you and the OT as Blood Mirror has the potential to hit him as hard as she hits you.

Amaranthine
02-14-2010, 12:26 PM
I actually agree with you on the trinket choices, the ones i have are just the best available to me at the moment. I'm thinking of buying the skeleton key, but am still unsure if i should purchase the tier gloves first. I still got another couple of raids until i get the emblems to afford that though.

Another question, I've heard parry is a bad stat before, and i will end up changing out those gems, why is it a bad stat though? Is it because it causes a quicker auto attack, which in turn can be parried giving the potentially hard hitting boss an quick auto attack?

Thanks for the advice :)

drae
02-14-2010, 01:27 PM
Parry is bad because it has the worst DR curve. Once you hit the point where DR kicks in it diminishes faster than every other avoidance stat.

In general gear for effective health and not avoidance; there is more then enough avoidance on gear as is; where-as you can always use more EH.

Amaranthine
02-14-2010, 09:00 PM
Thanks drae.

I've been tanking for years but have always focused on technique and skill, not theory/numbercrafting, trying to catch up on that myself now xD