PDA

View Full Version : Deathwhisper ICC25 add control

Ironoath
02-13-2010, 06:52 AM
Hey guys, our guild hit ICC25 'properly' for the first time last night. I say 'properly' as we'd downed Marrowgar before but hadn't really put it on our calender regularly, preferring to get most people up to speed on ICC10 first quarter.

Anyway, we got to Deathwhisper and had one tank on the left, one on the right (both paladins) and one at the back.

I was tanking the left hand side and as the adds are relatively spaced out I tried to drop a consecration at one end then taunt and shield the other two towards me. This worked fine the first time but after that it got a bit messy. Sometimes the adds weren't down quick enough so I might miss one of the new adds as he runs through the raid to a healer, sometimes I'd be kiting one of the risen again adds. My personal feeling is people lost composure and certainly nobody attempted any CC on the loose adds but I wondered if there were any tips you guys had for paladin tanks grabbing and holding the adds?

In terms of general raid setup, is it better to have two teams of five each side who do nothing on phase 1 except the adds or should they still switch to deathwhisper in between?We didn't seem to have much time between adds and I'm not sure if that was normal or if the dps weren't taking them down quick enough.

Thanks for any response guys :D

Fayre
02-13-2010, 07:01 AM
I tank the left hand side most nights. The key thing to remember is that you only have to tank two of the three adds - the ones on the outside which are the melee mobs. The middle add is a caster and can be locked down and killed by your melee dps without too much danger - I generally just keep an eye on whoever is 'tanking' it and if necessary throw a taunt at the mob if it looks like its going to get close to killing them for whatever reason.

I'm a warrior, so generally I use heroic throw on one of those two adds and taunt the other, get them together away from where the melee are killing the caster (to avoid the cleave being an issue) and start laying on some threat before the melee join me and kill them off. It does get a bit hairy if one of the fanatics turns into a Deformed one (forcing me to start kiting) but generally speaking its worked quite well.

We normally have around 6-7 melee dps which I split between the two sides with instructions to hit the back mob after they've finished on their side. Sometimes if DPS looks low then I have the hunters join the melee in this job. Their task is always to kill the caster mobs first, then move to the melee mobs. Generally speaking the mobs die just a few moments before a new wave comes - if that doesnt happen for whatever reason I call for the casters to help us mop up for a few moments before returning to Deathwhisper.

I hope that helps a bit - good luck on finding a method that works for your raid :)

Ironoath
02-13-2010, 07:12 AM
wow, thanks for the quick response and the tip on not worrying about caster adds!

I noticed a positioning tactic with everyone in front of the boss during phase 1, do you use this or do you keep people spread out?

and do you have all ranged always on the mana shield during phase 1 leaving all adds to be taken by melee? I *think* our raidleader had everyone on boss then everyone on adds then everyone back on adds etc

Papapaint
02-13-2010, 12:49 PM
wow, thanks for the quick response and the tip on not worrying about caster adds!

I noticed a positioning tactic with everyone in front of the boss during phase 1, do you use this or do you keep people spread out?

and do you have all ranged always on the mana shield during phase 1 leaving all adds to be taken by melee? I *think* our raidleader had everyone on boss then everyone on adds then everyone back on adds etc

Our guild usually throws our ret paladin, affliction warlock, rogue, and shadowpriest or boomkin on the boss full time so the important debuffs are all active any time the dps have time to switch to the boss. We usually get only three waves of adds. We also will blow lust at the very beginning and have all dps on her for 25-30 seconds before switching to add control.

Mr.Winkle
02-14-2010, 03:16 PM
Having done it in a pug (where chaos usually reins) the simple tactic of having ranged on the left hand side and melee on the right seemed to be pretty effective. Everyone just switched from adds to boss and back. I doubt it's the most effective method but it was simple and we downed her.

Shortypop
02-15-2010, 12:58 AM
Definitely ignore the caster add and make sure dps starts on it, so you have less agro problems, the melee mobs cleave so you want to keep them as still as possible. We use on hunter on either side to range taunt and kite and then taunt back (on the ones the need kiting) and they get prio over everything. Your back tank can move his mob to one side to save dps running too much as well.

Fayre
02-15-2010, 06:02 AM

We keep people spread out in the open area in front of the boss (i.e. where those trash packs are before).

We pretty much keep all ranged on the shield all the time. When we first did the fight we found that having everyone swap back and forth (which works well on the 10 man) meant we didn't get enough dps on the shield and therefore we hit the overall enrage timer. You really want to minimise your time in phase 1, as the second phase is a lot simpler to execute.

Just be careful to get your ranged to shout out when the shield hits 5% or so and check the timer on the adds - you don't want to have the shield down and the tanks tied up with adds. We usually get the ranged to stop then and wait for another wave, or if the timer is a fair way off, just push her over quickly. Usually we have the tank on the 'back' add go get the boss when its time.

Quinafoi
02-15-2010, 02:33 PM
What is your raid DPS and what is your class composition? That would largely determine any variations to the standard method you would take.

Like said by others, only worry about tanking the Fanatics. Adherants should be dealt with by the melee primarily (ranged can help when they first spawn if you have insufficient melee). Preassign a kill order for the Fanatics on the left side, for example my raid always kills the one closest to Deathwhisper's stage first and works their way around the circle. Since you have two adds to tank, knowing which one the DPS is focusing on helps you focus your threat generation there.

DPS needs to focus fire and finish the job. Killing a normal Fanatic that is at 30% health is higher in priority than killing the other Fanatic that just went deformed. If you don't finish off what you started, it will likely get healed meaning all the damage you already applied was wasted. While the Deformed and Reanimated are priorities to switch to next, you should always finish off your active DPS target first otherwise you will fall very far behind. One of the biggest mistakes raids make is to switch targets too frequently and never end up killing them.

This is very bad.
Get something to 30%...
Switch to a reanimated...
The 30% one heals to full while you kill the reanimated...
Switch back, and get it to 50% health and then the boss turns it deformed full healing it again...
You now had to do 220% of the mobs health to kill it (minimum).

swelt
02-16-2010, 01:47 AM
I'm sure there are as many ways to do this as there are to skin cats.

We weight our side groups with slightly more caster dps on the left and slightly more melee on the right. We assign a hunter to each side to kite any guys that mutate and we ask that hunter to misdirect a specific add to the tank (i.e. of the 3 adds that spawn, the one furthest from the boss will be misdirected in). We are light on rogues, but tricks of the trade would naturally help with that too. We don't leave the casters completely untanked, once you get the hang of it, it's not hard to hold agro on all 3, but don't fret to losing agro on a caster - priority on attention certainly goes to the cleaving melee mobs. Beware the self buff that the melee cast, have a mage spell steal or someone else dispell it.