PDA

View Full Version : Tanking Warrior Tank - Spec for Heroics

Tankette
02-12-2010, 12:25 PM
I haven't played my warrior tank much since before 3.2 and I am thinking of getting back into it. My warrior was well geared for Ulduar back in the day and has a gear score of around 4800. I've been playing a healer since 3.2 and I notice a huge variety of skill levels for warrior tanks when I heal heroics. Some warrior tanks are excellent and some are the worst tanks I have ever seen. The worst Pally/DK/Druid tanks I have seen are at least still able to get the job done.

Anyway, I am thinking of getting back into the swing of things as a tank by running a bunch of heroics. I have never really felt I was much good at tanking heroics so I am playing around with the talent calculator to come up with a spec designed just for 5 mans, and particularly mutli mob aggro. I will have another spec for raids so I am just looking for feedback for this spec for 5 mans:

http://www.wowhead.com/?talent#LZhbeoxZcItrgbzizszsGo

For glyphs I was thinking about Shockwave, Sunder Armor and Cleave for majors and Charge, TClap and Blood Rage for minors.

Any thoughts?

GŁth
02-12-2010, 12:58 PM
You're missing Improved Defensive Stance which is a bad idea if you plan on tanking. I'd move the points from Imp. Spell Reflect to Imp. Defensive Stance.

Unbridled Wrath equates to 15 rage per minute if using a 1h weapon, which is really bad for a 5 point talent (as a comparison, Anger Management is 20 rage per minute for 1 point) but if you get lucky UW can proc off Cleave hits.

Never used a spec with Improved Cleave for heroics, so I can't comment on that threat-wise. The traditional Deep Wounds build has always done enough threat for me that I never felt the need to experiment that far into the Fury tree.

I would suggest maxing out Focused Rage for 5mans though, as it reduces the rage cost of all offensive abilities (even ones that aren't prot specific) and can allow you to use abilities like Cleave more often.

Interested in how this works out for you, post some results after testing please. :)

Inaara
02-12-2010, 02:34 PM
The following is my heroic/aoe spec. http://www.wowhead.com/?talent#LAM00fZhZVItMxzzidIzsGo:cMN

Glyph of cleave makes a huge difference as does glyph of devastate.

Tankette
02-12-2010, 02:35 PM
Good call on switching the 2 in Spell Reflect to Imd Def Stance.

Unbridled Wrath is there to get me to the next row of talents in Fury so I can get the Imp Cleave and Piercing Howl. I figured it would be more usefull than Imp Demo. I could move 3 of the points in Unbridled Wrath to Cruelty, however.

I guess I could move 2 points in Commanding Presence to Focused Rage. Commanding Presence isn't that important to my strategery as I was mainly after Imp Cleave and Piercing Howl in Fury.

Tankette
02-12-2010, 02:39 PM
The following is my heroic/aoe spec. http://www.wowhead.com/?talent#LAM00fZhZVItMxzzidIzsGo:cMN

Glyph of cleave makes a huge difference as does glyph of devastate.

That spec is pretty close to my raiding spec. I'll probably go back to it if my new spec is a flop.

The Glyphs of Cleave and Shockwave I want for sure. I'm torn between Devastate and Sunder Armor.

Inaara
02-12-2010, 02:55 PM
Devestate is more effective as you get to choose your target. The application of 2 sunder armors is a huge threat boost when tab targetting and on bosses the faster application means the boss dies faster. Chain running heroics is all about speed baby.

Tankette
02-12-2010, 03:02 PM
Devestate is more effective as you get to choose your target. The application of 2 sunder armors is a huge threat boost when tab targetting and on bosses the faster application means the boss dies faster. Chain running heroics is all about speed baby.

Thanks for the feedback on the glyph.

The speed thing is probably my biggest concern about tanking heroics. I tend to be more on the cautious side of pulls instead of the pull 3 groups at once side. I am sure I will hear complaints on my lack of speed.

Inaara
02-12-2010, 03:08 PM
I'm cautious as well. Don't listen to those idiots. People need to understand a tank's limits, and even if they don't, you control the momentum. I generally pull 1 group at a time, I just make sure that the pulls are always in action. When the last guy in a group is about to die I make sure i'm in a position to charge to the next group. Simple things speed up instances. Pulling 9 groups and dying slows the run down. Stick to what you're comfortable with but always test your limits.

Beltarik
02-13-2010, 05:45 AM
I absolutlely agree! As a Warrior Tank, I tend to go at a steady pace, and ALWAYS look after my healer. If I am not going fast enough, then I look to see what I can try to do speed up, but the fact is the Tank sets the pace. It is incredibly easy to over-pull and then it's all over but the crying. I also tend to wonder if my group is ready for the next boss, so I ask them. I'd rather that then to make the pull and find I am the only one fighting....
Also, I have Devastate in my bar, and don't use Sunder Armor because I have the Glyph of Devastate which stacks Sunder Armor twice, and helps generate more threat so long as my hit rating is high enough.

Posolutely
02-13-2010, 05:47 PM
Drop improved revenge (it's not worth using revenge anymore at all) and get 5/5 shield spec. I'd also say you don't need improved disarm, get 3/3 focused rage.