PDA

View Full Version : Tanking Warrior HC tanking advice needed

02-11-2010, 04:36 AM
Hi All,

I used to tank until I hit lvl 80 and realized what a big step up it is between the lower dungeons and lvl 80 dungeons when it comes to tanking. At the time I decided to dual spec as Fury DPS in order to get better gear. I have now assembled some good gear and started tanking again with some of my guildies on some HC dungeons but seem to struglle to keep aggro at times. I know that my rotation is lacking at the moment as it has been about 3 months since I tanked really.

Here is my armory link and would appreciate any comments and advice. I do know my one trinket is still a dps trinket and is busy saving upsome frost emblems to change that.

http://eu.wowarmory.com/character-talents.xml?r=Saurfang&cn=Avatarm&group=1

Another question I have is what the best add-ons are for tanking as I take to long sometimes to determin who has pulled aggro and by that time that person has alreadt taken a lot of damage.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Riptides
02-11-2010, 04:51 AM
I currently see you in DPS gear so cannot comment there.

On your Prot spec you can lose the 2 points in Improved Revenge, and even Cruelty, and put them to better use in Focused Rage, starving yourself of rage at the start of a pull, aoe or otherwise, is detrimental to aggro generation.

Rotation should be Charge, Shield Block, Shield Slam, Devastate(x2), TC, etc. OR go for the Cleave Glyph and Charge in, thunderclap, cleave like crazy until you can TC again on aoe grouped mobs until they thin out enough to start tab sundering.

As for mods you can either try Aloft or Tidy Plates/Tidy Plates Threat Plates for a more on the mob visual of when you have aggro.

Bosk
02-11-2010, 05:08 AM
The best 'addon' I have seen for determining who has pulled aggro is the default Blizzard nameplates! Hit V by default to turn them on; it also helps selecting your targets as tab-targetting is only useful in specific situations.

gabbu
02-11-2010, 05:27 AM
I am strictly talking about heroics (cuz ZOMG aoe) here, some changes might help you a ton,

1. Change Glyph of Sunder Armor to Glyph of Cleaving (yes its that good)
2. Every-time I have dropped focussed rage fro my spec I have had rage issues in heroics so I suggest drop Improved Revenge and 1 point in Cruelty to max out Focussed rage.
3. This is what you want to do for Multi mob tanking,

- Mark a Skull (lol but very important)
- Charge the Skull and TC + Shield Slam (queue Cleave)
- Change Target + Shockwave (take a step back) + Bloodrage + Devastate
- Change Target + TC (If ready) + SS/Dev/Rev(whichever one you can use)

Keep repeating and make sure you save some rage at the end of pull so that you are not dry for the next one.

HTH

EDIT: 2 add-ons I recommend, Tidy Plates+ Threat Plates and Event Alert

Riptides
02-11-2010, 05:40 AM
- Charge the Skull and TC + Shield Slam (queue Cleave)
- Tab + Shockwave (take a step back) + Bloodrage + Devastate
- Tab + TC (If ready) + SS/Dev/Rev(whichever one you can use)

I don't even fool with tabbing anymore at the start of AOE pulls since I tend to target something across the room, up the ramp, in the next zone, which can cause aggro loss at the crucial moment of the start of the pull.
I just Charge, Thunderclap, Shield Slam, Cleave x3 or so, backpedal a half circle to Shockwave, Spam Cleave and TC when available until I'm down to 2 or 3 mobs which then I start tabbing and devastating.
After that I pick up loot if it's on the way to the next pack of mobs. :)

gabbu
02-11-2010, 06:03 AM
Well I should have made it clear, I usually click nameplates as tabbing fails mostly. Looks like you are doing good adding glyph of cleaving will help a ton and also dont forget to vigilance the top deeps.

Fury warriors, destro locks are good targets.

02-11-2010, 07:57 AM
Thanks for all the replies so far and yes I last logged out with my DPS gear and have changed it to my tanking spec for any comments.

Bosk
02-11-2010, 08:53 AM
Have a go with a slow weapon, most of the time in heroics I prefer the feel of that to a 'proper' fast one.

02-15-2010, 12:30 AM
Thanks to all just to give an update, I have been managing a lot better in keeping aggro its just when the mobs are spread which makes it hard and also some dps hardly wait for you to hit the first target with Charge and they attack already, but I guess that will get better as well.

Deszaras
02-15-2010, 01:12 AM
Another addon to let you see aggro is Grid, as long as you set it up right.
You can set the centre text to show Aggro is big letters across one of the nameplates, then you can just click on it (OMGCLICKER) and intervene, assist target and spam some moves.

As for rotation in AoE, well, I generally charge in, TC, Shockwave then spam devastate and cleave, with SS once SnB has procc'd.