PDA

View Full Version : How to dodge malleable goo

cinn
02-10-2010, 11:57 PM
I was looking for some help on dodging malleable goo. I am a demo warlock and was wondering if there is a good strat.

- Thank You

Tankemy
02-11-2010, 12:38 AM
Um....move your character out of the way?

If you have DBM your whole screen will flash if it's going to land near you.

Shortypop
02-11-2010, 01:58 AM
I don't play ranged (but I get to be an abomination who doesn't bother to dodge goo:) ) but ... DBM will tell you if malleable goo is coming near you, it seems to bug out a bit sometimes and you can actually sidestep too far and into someone elses, but one of the best things to do is to constantly adjust your positioning so you are close to max range from the boss, this gives you the maximum time to spot it coming for you.

Hamburglar
02-11-2010, 10:24 AM
The way I do it if I'm on my alt is to see the cast, go to the bathroom, write a novel, run a marathon and come back to sidestep it before it hits me.

Blacksen
02-11-2010, 10:48 AM
There's this cool thing called Strafing. You should try it.

Unger
02-11-2010, 10:50 AM
Not sure if a few of these comments was really helpful.... although you did communicate how much more awesome you are than the OP.... GG.

The Malleable Goo can be avoided with a DBM warning if you are in the location where the goo will land when its launched. You will not get a warning if you move into that area after it has already been thrown.

The key to avoiding the attack is to keep a sharp eye on your DBM timer that will show that Malleable Goo is about to be used. Have your range stand together so that you know where the Goo will be (having them spread out means anyone could be targetted). For the Green slime, have your hunter/warlocks/mages in one area and other ranged further away. As long as ranged are not in the path of the slime (where melee will be running to), the dodging should be easier.

For the Orange Slime, make sure that ranged doesnt stand in the kiting path you normally take. It will keep the goo from getting thrown at your ranged and hitting melee when they are killing the slime.

Also, make sure you have enough people at range to ensure that melee doesnt get targeted. I think the number is 8, but you should check it.

gacktt
02-11-2010, 11:21 PM
Run towards putricide, not away. Works 95% of the time.

Dragaan
02-12-2010, 10:07 PM
Not sure if a few of these comments was really helpful.... although you did communicate how much more awesome you are than the OP.... GG.

The Malleable Goo can be avoided with a DBM warning if you are in the location where the goo will land when its launched. You will not get a warning if you move into that area after it has already been thrown.

The key to avoiding the attack is to keep a sharp eye on your DBM timer that will show that Malleable Goo is about to be used. Have your range stand together so that you know where the Goo will be (having them spread out means anyone could be targetted). For the Green slime, have your hunter/warlocks/mages in one area and other ranged further away. As long as ranged are not in the path of the slime (where melee will be running to), the dodging should be easier.

For the Orange Slime, make sure that ranged doesnt stand in the kiting path you normally take. It will keep the goo from getting thrown at your ranged and hitting melee when they are killing the slime.

Also, make sure you have enough people at range to ensure that melee doesnt get targeted. I think the number is 8, but you should check it.

I think you got trolled...

If the op actually was serious, I apologize.

Unger
02-15-2010, 04:16 PM

In general, we like to help one another out. There are some contributors who have English as a second language so the question may not APA style, including the cover letter.

I'll take the risk of being trolled if the alternative means that Tankspot becomes the Wow Forums.

jstaley02
03-15-2010, 07:13 AM
hi mate. depending on what boss mods u have, DXE (Deus Vox Encounters) is completely excellent for malleable goo in putricide. it gives u a cartographer style arrow pointing towards the goo.

additionally it makes the targeted player shout in /say Malleable Goo on me! so u no in what direction it is heading.

thirdly, my own personal tip, if u no the goo is aimed directly at u, run towards the goo. itl bounce right past u and blow up behind you.

hope this helped.

Quinafoi
03-15-2010, 08:58 AM
Best strat for dodging, watch the instructional video.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0iXP9yoc4VY

Ok, now that the motivational video is out of the way.

Step one... everyone in the raid should be required to have a boss mod. DXE, DBM, BigWigs... they all make you at least say when a goo is heading towards you alerting people around you. If you see a goo heading your way and no one said anything, smack them and tell them to update their boss mods. Reminds me of good old Void Reaver when the one person in the raid who doesn't install a boss mod silences several of your healers.

Step two... stand a few yards away from the boss. 10 yards is plenty if you're paying close enough attention. Watch the boss mod timer and when its about to cast (it's a very consistent timer) be ready to move.

As ranged you have to move if...
1. There is a green ooze up, get to the rooted person.
2. If you're targeted by the gas cloud.
3. If there is a goo heading your way.
4. If you're standing in a green puddle.

You shouldn't be right on top of the boss anyway to be affected by the orange gas bombs. During phase 2 you have the most causes to force you to move as all apply. During phase 3 you no longer have the ooze and gas cloud to deal with so just have to move when the raid moves from green flooding the room and move to dodge a goo when it is thrown. Those are simply the mechanics you need to train yourself to manage. There really isn't some special trick to dodging the goo. It's heading in your direction and you move out of the way. Just don't pile all on the boss so they explode in melee, you have to have a few yards distance to give yourself a little time to react.

Thegreatme
03-15-2010, 09:14 AM
1) place a demonic portal somewhere safe
2) when maleable goo is thrown at you, teleport to it.
3)????
4) Profit!

demonic portal almost plays the game for you in ICC. abuse it more.

Bashal
03-15-2010, 09:23 AM
Avoiding the goo is easy. As soon as you realise you have been targeted (or see it slowly, lazily, bouncing and arcing over to you), move a bit. It doesn't track you, it just lands in your "last known position", which was wherever you were standing at the time it was thrown.

It's actually a bigger issue (I find) when someone else was the target and you accidentally move into the place where it will land. But you get used to noticing the slow, bouncy goo as it heads in your general direction, and after you get good at noticing it, you have very little trouble avoiding it.

Of course, DBM or a similar mod, which puts a mark over your head and screams at you that you have been targeted for malleable goo (or that someone near you has), helps lots.

For warlocks, the demonic portal trick is a nice one... as long as there's nothing deadly sitting by the portal. Honestly, just moving a bit is easier than using a demonic portal.

loquatious
03-15-2010, 11:44 AM
DBM puts a blue mark over the targeted persons head, this is correct, but Putricide throws *2* malleable oozes in 25 man - afaik the 2nd person is not marked or warned. The comment in DBM is "Mark first ooze target" or similar. This means the other target of the ooze has to rely on good old fashioned raid awareness.

Does DXE mark Both targets or just one?

robbon
03-16-2010, 05:55 AM
Q, W, E

straffe left, straffe right or run forward under the bounce.

AtotehZ
04-08-2010, 12:35 AM
The best way to dodge malleable goo is to look at the timer and that big green ball coming towards you, its not a good idea to be at its destination. Afaik the time it takes from launch to detonation of malleable goo is the same if you are ranged or melee. If you are closer and targeted the goo will simply make higher jumps and detonate the 3rd time it hits the ground as usual.

CoolNitro
04-10-2010, 07:17 AM
Run towards putricide, not away. Works 95% of the time.

qft this works all the time since I find the goo nearly always lands just behind where it was meant to, so say it targets me and I do a 180 and run I normally get hit where if I move forward it never gets you.

If dbm says goo in your direction just watch out for it and side step away it is an extremely simple mechanic to get used.

Fumblecheese
04-11-2010, 03:41 AM
Dodging the malleable goo on Putricide is trivial. What I can't seem to get the hang of is dodging this on Festergut. I cant see the slime on the floor well enough to avoid it. The slime pool on the floor is so deceptively small and the blast radius is much larger. Does anyone know whats the radius?

Not to mention that as a tank healer I'm focusing my attention on keeping the tank up. I stop casting my HL for 1-2s just to step away and the tank's health drops dangerously low. I've tried moving with the melee from leg to leg but I keep getting caught and once that happens its a 90% chance that its a wipe if hes on his 3rd inhale.

Any tips?

Spiritus
04-12-2010, 09:01 AM
Dodging the malleable goo on Putricide is trivial. What I can't seem to get the hang of is dodging this on Festergut. I cant see the slime on the floor well enough to avoid it. The slime pool on the floor is so deceptively small and the blast radius is much larger. Does anyone know whats the radius?

Not to mention that as a tank healer I'm focusing my attention on keeping the tank up. I stop casting my HL for 1-2s just to step away and the tank's health drops dangerously low. I've tried moving with the melee from leg to leg but I keep getting caught and once that happens its a 90% chance that its a wipe if hes on his 3rd inhale.

Any tips?

Coordinate CDs for when you have to move is the only way to compensate for this. Otherwise, you are going to be a slave to the RNG.

Reev
04-12-2010, 09:10 AM

I'm serious. I have the same question as the OP. Not for myself (I'm a tank), but for my raid. Some of the people in my raid are getting hit by goo up to 25 times in one night. Any advice I can get from here to give to them is appreciated, and shouldn't be considered trolling.

dotOrion
04-13-2010, 01:44 AM
Practice quick movement , watch your DBM (or similar) timers for the CD and you should be able to anticipate when the next one comes, make sure you see the first bounce and it should be really easy to avoid it.

This becomes even more important in the third phase where you have less room to move and it's more important to stay alive and not stress the healers too much.

Quinafoi
04-13-2010, 07:31 AM
I'm serious. I have the same question as the OP. Not for myself (I'm a tank), but for my raid. Some of the people in my raid are getting hit by goo up to 25 times in one night. Any advice I can get from here to give to them is appreciated, and shouldn't be considered trolling.

Some raiders require different types of support. Perhaps you should try calling out goo over vent prior to the cast so that people are ready to move. Too many of them suffer from tunnel vision and need some other form of alert besides a boss mod bar and warning they probably overlook.

AtotehZ
04-14-2010, 02:41 PM
Some raiders require different types of support. Perhaps you should try calling out goo over vent prior to the cast so that people are ready to move. Too many of them suffer from tunnel vision and need some other form of alert besides a boss mod bar and warning they probably overlook.

You just earned yourself five stars! I was reading through the new posts to make sure someone didn't already say it.

Of course you have someone call it when a malleable goo is up. I'm raid leading my guild and when goo is up on a stationary group i tell them exactly which way to move as soon as its launched. Most of the time it's not even necessary to call it on the melee group as our tanks are competent enough to see it themselves.

I have had a few 10mans on normal, teaching new ICC raiders, where I used fireworks to make people avoid hotzones.

A useful thing on festergut on heroic might be to use flares for fixed positions. On 10man it shouldn't be a problem to assign 2 spots per ranged member on one side of festergut so they can alternate if targeted by goo. On 25 man it might have to be a little more complicated, maybe using both sides of the room with festergut being kited back and forth between 2 points where the healer can reach everyone in the middle to avoid goo might be an idea. The only really complicated thing about this strategy is if 3 ppl on one side of the room get targeted they need to reach the other end of the room before they can continue their assignment.

Gasman
04-15-2010, 06:00 AM
If you can dodge a wrench, you can dodge a malleable goo....

bling581
04-15-2010, 06:06 AM
Calling it out is actually worse in my opinion, because those that are terrible at moving will only become dependent on that. There's some people with poor attention in my guild and occasionally the officers won't call stuff out on a certain pull and you can quickly see how dependent they have become on the officers doing that. The best way for them to learn is to just drill it into their heads somehow that they need to stop staring at the dps meter or their raid frames and pay attention to the boss mods and their screen. If the 1 person calling stuff out messes up, is lagging, DC's or whatever, then the other people suffer because they were depending on that person.

Quinafoi
04-15-2010, 07:20 AM
Calling it out is actually worse in my opinion, because those that are terrible at moving will only become dependent on that. There's some people with poor attention in my guild and occasionally the officers won't call stuff out on a certain and you can quickly see how dependent they have become on the officers doing that. The best way for them to learn is to just drill it into their heads somehow that they need to stop staring at the dps meter or their raid frames and pay attention to the boss mods and their screen. If the 1 person calling stuff out messes up, is lagging, DC's or whatever, then the other people suffer because they were depending on that person.

Then have the people who have trouble with it install...
http://wow.curse.com/downloads/wow-addons/details/boss-mod-tts.aspx

Then they get the audio warning of abilities locally and not over vent.

bling581
04-15-2010, 09:31 AM
From personal experience, the excuse or reason I've heard over guild vent for having issues with dodging Malleable Goo was that they were having trouble judging where it's going. If it wasn't cast on them directly but is heading in their direction they should move anyway and not try to guess if it's heading for the person in front or next to them. It has splash damage so it's likely they'll get hit anyway if it's on the person next to them. Once you become better at judging the pathing you can even run forward and through it but I would not recommend this to beginners. Another suggestion for the entire raid is to make sure the DBM option is checked to yell for malleable goo and then turn on chat bubbles in your WoW options. If it's being cast on someone a chat bubble with red letters will show up making it easier to know where it's gonna land.

Quinafoi
04-15-2010, 09:47 AM
In an ideal world, you shouldn't have to hold the hand of every raider that is under performing and can't manage it themselves. The simple fact of the matter is not everyone is fortunate enough to have people that can take care of themselves, go go Life Grip. You as a raid leader have to adapt your methods to fit your raid's needs. If they need an audio alert simply because that's what they mentally respond to, then provide them one. The fundamental problem is people get tunnel vision and some people are better at managing 15 things going on at once while others are not.

Vent should be perfectly quiet and you should be listening to soothing classical music during a raid because you can manage everything with a clear head. Not only should tanks know ahead of time when they are taunting, but healers should know it as well and be already prepared to switch targets. This is our ideal world where everyone can do their job perfectly. Sadly, in a practical raid, you're more likely to be hearing the Benny Hill theme playing in your head than Mozart.

You need to cater your methods for your raid.

AtotehZ
04-20-2010, 04:18 PM
Calling it out is actually worse in my opinion...

I don't really agree. If people are able to make the judgment call on their own they will, if not, you saved these people by doing it for them. It's not like its the same people not moving every time, and people in my raid also know that repeatedly making mistakes won't get you accepted into future raids, they'll be replaced.

bling581
04-21-2010, 10:58 AM
Quin pretty much said it all.

In an ideal world, you shouldn't have to hold the hand of every raider that is under performing and can't manage it themselves. The simple fact of the matter is not everyone is fortunate enough to have people that can take care of themselves, go go Life Grip.

You need to cater your methods for your raid.

In my personal experience, it was almost always the same players making the top 10 on damage taken from goo every single night according to my WoL reports. Unfortunately we do not have excess players to swap around. Our officers call out a lot of stuff, and when they stop you notice the difference because a handful of people fail to react on their own. We don't call out goo, and I've notice a slow but steady improvement on people avoiding it. If the officers don't call out "vials" people stand in them and get the debuff. If they don't call out to stop dps at 82% or 37% he gets pushed over too soon and we get a fresh ooze. It sucks, but if you can improve situational awareness by putting more responsibility on each raider then it just betters them and lets the officers and raid leaders focus on more important things.

If you can afford to replace them, then awesome, but we can't and try to do anything possible to help them focus better. If we sat everyone that constantly fails to move we probably wouldn't have 25 players to raid with on some nights. Even replacing players doesn't do anything to help them improve if they can't get in the repetition and experience. Same thing goes for calling stuff out you shouldn't have to.

Btw, thanks a lot Quin for the link to that mod. I seems like a very nice tool for those raiders with tunnel vision :)

Quinafoi
04-21-2010, 11:32 AM
Some people learn by reading. Some people learn by doing. Some people learn by listening. Some people learn by watching. Every individual is different. Part of the raid leaders duties is to determine which methods are necessary for their raid to learn.

tazdirector
04-22-2010, 11:42 AM
Looking for clarification:
My 10-man team is working on Putricide and we successfully got him down to P3 and >10% on several attempts.

On two attempts, we wiped when a malleable goo targeted the OT (according to DXE) splashing damage on both the MT/OT and both healers who were also in front of Putricide (according to something we'd had suggested to us). With the 200% debuff on both healers, it was a quick death for all.

My question is, can the tanks be targeted by Goo or was DXE simply mis-reporting the target? I thought goo prioritized ranged, since dodged goo within melee range provides considerably less time to react.

saedo
04-22-2010, 11:57 AM
Do you have enough people keeping in ranged? It's likely takes 3 or more out there to keep them targetted.

tazdirector
04-22-2010, 12:18 PM
The tanks and healers got hit when we were positioning him out of some growing puddles. Based on the fraps video I have, it appears as though we have more than three out of melee range as they were working AROUND the growing puddles. But it's a good point that we should reinforce to the ranged members.

saedo
04-22-2010, 12:24 PM
Yea you probably want to try to keep them further away just in case the movement brings Putricide close to them and thus into melee range.

Quinafoi
04-22-2010, 12:54 PM
Bottom line is the people who are don't want to be hit by goo shouldn't be in melee. If there are insufficient targets and he does target melee, it explodes faster than you could possibly react. If you have at least a little distance between you and the boss you have at least a few moments to react to it instead of being insta-gibbed.

Ubast
04-22-2010, 02:31 PM
I have found the addons AVR and Bigwigs combine make dodging goo easy cake . Bigs wigs give you timers for it and AVR use bigwigs to place red circles on those who was targeted. All that is needed is a game of get out of the red circle on the ground.

Here some links to the addons

AVR http://wow.curse.com/downloads/wow-addons/details/avr.aspx
Bigwigs http://wow.curse.com/downloads/wow-addons/details/big-wigs.aspx