PDA

View Full Version : Warrior Noob Warrior: How to tank at 40, and do I macro Revenge?

Kurtosis
02-10-2010, 11:32 PM
I have a warrior I quest leveled to 40 as Arms back in BC, and now want to LFG level him when I've got nothing to do on my main DK tank. A few questions:

1. Do you macro Revenge into other abilities like DKs can do w/ Rune Strike, or manually cast it every time it's up? I understand it's on the GCD, but that a macro like the following will cast Revenge if available, or HS if not?

#showtooltip
/use Revenge
/use Heroic Strike

2. Already at 40 Warriors have quite alot of abilities. Some are obvious, like Shield Slam and Thunder Clap, but plenty others I'm not sure I should be using. For example, are Slam, Rend, and Mocking Blow part of a Warrior's standard rotation/priority system?

3. What's the best way to pull and quickly build aoe threat w/ a 40 warrior? Is it worth using Charge in Battle Stance, then quickly switching to Defensive Stance?

4. What's the Warrior tanking style? I also have a 40 Prot pally I'm LFG leveling, and the style is clear - spec and gear for shield block and reflective damage, keep Cons and Holy Shield up, then tab-strike spam everything till the dps kills it, repeat. The Warrior style isn't so clear to me yet, would appreciate any comments on this.

Thanks!

Riptides
02-11-2010, 02:01 AM
I'll post my, probably bad, advice and let someone else come in and correct me. Sorry it's been well over 3 years since I leveled up my only warrior character.

1. I personally don't macro it, others might. I've always preferred using it when available. Since heroic strike is a spam/rage dump move I wouldn't want to be in the middle of a HS spam spree and miss an important GCD, but at lvl40 you may be more mileage from macroing it.

2. Priorities are usually sunders, thunderclap, shield slam and revenge. Rend, while helpful in adding a smidge of extra dps/dmg done during a boss encounter, is useless trash tanking as it wastes rage or a cooldown that could go towards something else. Mocking Blow should be saved as an additional taunt for when taunt is unavailable.

3a. It's universal that a warrior tank with no rage is useless so charge is used mainly for rage gain at the start of a pull so it would be negated with stance changes, at 50 you'll be able to spec into Warbringer to allow you to use charge in defensive stance. Single target, cold pulling you should try to Blood Rage, shield slam, sunder, sunder, sunder, thunderclap, sunder, sunder (stack to 5x), and then start using heroic strike to dump excess rage and maintain aggro keeping an eye on available S.Slam, TC, Revenge cooldowns, and reapplying thunderclap and sunders as needed. Once you get a feel and if your rage is jumping high you can also add heroic strike into the first rotation somewhat as it's not tied to the GCD.

3b. AOE cold pulling would be, Blood Rage, S.Slam 1st target, thunderclap, spam cleave until thunderclap is available, and keep rotating thunderclaps and cleaves until you get to a more managable number of mobs, where you would want to start tab-sundering.

4. Rage management, above all, is the Warrior tanking style. Once you're into a pulling and tanking groove you will want to try to end fights with as much rage as possible for the next set of mobs if feasible. At 80 it becomes more about charging in to get rage, stacking devastate (sunders), using shouts like commanding to increase HP and Demoralizing to reduce inc. dmg as well as utilizing the amount of silences and stuns available to us while spamming Heroic Strike between cooldowns when rage permits. At times rage will flow like water and other times you'll feel starved and useless.

Powertaco
02-11-2010, 05:56 AM
Riptides is pretty spot on.
1. I personally don't like to macro Heroic Strike to anything. Rage Management is a recurring theme in Warrior Tanking, and I hate that feeling of not being able to micromanage. I bind my Cleave and Heroic Strike to my Mouse Wheel, so I can dump rage without my left hand being in 2 places at once.

2/3.
Single Target Tanking - Shield Slam>Sunder>Revenge + Heroic Strike Rage Dump
AOE Pulls - Thunderclap ASAP>Sunder(If Glyphed (http://www.wowhead.com/?item=43427))>Tab Shield Slam + Cleave Rage Dump

I just want to make a clear distinction between taunt and mocking blow really quick.
Mocking Blow (http://www.wowhead.com/?spell=694) is NOT a taunt (http://www.wowhead.com/?spell=355). Don't confuse or substitute it for taunt. Mocking Blow (http://www.wowhead.com/?spell=694) increases your threat and forces the target to attack you for the 6 second duration. Taunt gives you threat equal that to the target you taunted the mob off of. That being said its a great backup in the event your Taunt misses, to give you a fighting chance in regaining aggro. Mocking Blow can be used when you are silenced as well.

It seems a lot of your post revolves around AOE tanking.
What Glyphs are you using?
Are you Cleaving?

Kurtosis
02-11-2010, 11:49 AM
Thanks guys, so rage management is the key. Such a huge difference in rage gen at lvl 40 vs what I see in Tankspot's videos on endgame boss tanking. Will my rage gen at 40 be similar when tanking harder hitting instance bosses?

My warrior's armory for reference (http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Maiev&cn=Snowcrash). Currently using Glyph of Revenge, Glyph of Resonating Power, and Glyph of Bloodrage, which I got from a prot leveling guide (from wowhead warrior forums iirc), and yes for AoE I spam Cleave, TC, and try to keep Demo Shout up. Would Glyph of Sunder Armor be better 5mans than Glyph of Revenge?

I've found on my pally (http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Maiev&cn=Jovian) that I still have to tab-strike spam sometimes to keep AoE threat. Everyone's overgeared in BoAs and epics, trained to just AoE trash packs from Wrath, and all I hear is 'bigger pulls gogogo'. Both easy and fun to do that on my pally, but gonna be interesting on the warrior.

I haven't tried LFG on my warrior yet, but last night I took him out to the murlocs in Dustwallow Marsh to try him out. I found that for groups close together, I could Charge into them, TC, then immediately switch to Defensive Stance. TC uses most of the rage from Charge, so nothing is really lost when I switch stances. I figure I can do that tilll Warbringer at 50, at least when I don't have to LoS pull or something. Or does TC require Defensive Stance to put out enough threat to effectively hold aggro during its first 6s cd?

And thanks for the clarification on Mocking Blow. Knew it wasn't a taunt, but not quite clear from the tooltip that it works similar to Death Grip, as sort of a temporary taunt.

Adonijah
02-11-2010, 02:52 PM
If you're running with the Glyph of Revenge, that macro ain't a bad thing to have. Otherwise, ditch it :/

Kurtosis
02-11-2010, 04:09 PM
Thanks. Should I be running that glyph now, or is there something better for LFG leveling? Only saw it recommended in one guide, and I'm sure there are other opinions.

Kerafyrm
02-11-2010, 04:16 PM
Worth a mention: dont confuse revenge and heroic strike.

Revenge is on the GCD and thus there is no reason to macro it to anything since it is its own ability.

Heroic Strike is on next swing (like rune strike) and is macroable (the macro above macros it to your Revenge).

Macroing heroic strike can be dangerous because it uses a large amount of range and can deplete your rage pool very fast, unlike a DK using a slower two hander and runic power which is generated at a predictable rate. Also unlike rune strike, heroic strike is not the best use of the resource it consumes, in this case rage. For a Death Knight (excepting maybe frost?) there is nothing better to spend your runic power on. Heroic strike is the worst of the threat generating abilities we commonly use to spend rage on. You only want to use it when that rage would otherwise be wasted (hence it being a rage dump).

As mentioned above, a lot of people here bind HS (and cleave, which works the same way) to their mouse wheel. I am one of the "noobs" who still macros it to abilities which is not recommended, and I can definitely say it has hurt me a few times in the past. That said, I continue to do it since I like having to press fewer buttons (after hurting my hand spamming HS for hours on end).

Kurtosis
02-11-2010, 11:37 PM
Thanks Kera, that's exactly what I needed to know about HS, and also about Cleave which I didn't realize worked the same way - on next melee hit. Much appreciated.

I will probably go with Adon's advice and only macro HS to Revenge if I have Glyph of Revenge. Though it sounds like Glyph of Sunder Armor might be better for AoE threat for 5mans.

Thoughts?

Adonijah
02-12-2010, 01:02 AM
At level 40, I'd probably go with the Glyphs of Cleave and Blocking. Cleave will undoubtedly be very useful in AoE tanking (tabbing through targets), and Blocking for the small bit of mitigation. Other glyphs, such as Revenge, Sunder Armor, and the like are all good choices though.

Kerafyrm
02-12-2010, 10:53 AM
I would suggest cleaving as one glyph definitely.

If you want some ideas, I have been enjoying my 2nd spec for instance tanking, though is it set up for exclusively that and not necessarily as good for levelling outside of instances:
http://www.wowarmory.com/character-talents.xml?r=Area+52&cn=Kerafyrm

Kurtosis
02-15-2010, 03:15 PM
Just want to thank you all again, it's clicked, I get it now, and am cruising through LFG tanking now. Warrior is definitely the most fun tank I've played so far, just can't wait for Warbringer in 6 levels :).