PDA

View Full Version : Warrior Warrior Tank Audit

bandit080000
02-09-2010, 02:20 PM
Hey everyone,

I was wondering if anyone would mind taking a look at my gear/gems/chants and tell me if it looks alright. I was tanking in ICC for the first time this weekend, and I noticed that with approximately equivalent gear (my 4926 gearscore and the Death Knight's 5009 gearscore) that he was pulling approximately 100k more threat than me on the OMEN threat meter.

http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Lightninghoof&cn=Ananixaror

I use shield slam each time sword and board procs as well as when it just isn't on CD. I also use revenge whenever it is up. I also make sure to keep 5 stacks of sunder on through devastate. Thunderclap, Shockwave, and Demo shout are also thrown in there. And, to kill the rage between these CDs I spam Heroic Strike for single targets and Cleave for multi targets.

My own personal observations show that I'm not hit-capped. Would this cause the lesser threat to the extent that it is occuring?

I feel like I'm doing what I'm supposed to as a warrior tank. I'm just not sure why my threat generation is so much lower than the DK. I've also noticed that in ToC25, the pally tank in my guild does about 75k more threat than me with slightly lesser gear.

Thanks for reading!

Dreadski
02-09-2010, 02:33 PM
Rotation should be: Shield Slam > Devastate > Revenge if you fall below 12 rage. Devastate does more damage and threat if glyphed, and revenge can be untalented. Hit and expertise cap has less to do with bad threat than rotation.

Selene
02-09-2010, 02:40 PM
Why do people never socket for the bonus on helms?
That's a +12 Stamina bonus!!!
You lose only 3 Stamina to gain 10 Hit Rating or 10 Defense.
With your low 147 Hit Rating, you should socket a Hit/Stam gem in your Helm.

Plus your Expertise is low, it should be 26 or as close as possible. You can swap some of those Stam gems in Red Sockets to Expertise/Stam.
Also never gem for Parry, if you are going to gem for Avoidance, gem for Dodge, Parry is subject to diminishing returns alot lower than Dodge is.

bandit080000
02-09-2010, 02:44 PM
Rotation should be: Shield Slam > Devastate > Revenge if you fall below 12 rage. Devastate does more damage and threat if glyphed, and revenge can be untalented. Hit and expertise cap has less to do with bad threat than rotation.

Shield Slam _________________________ 307
Revenge ____________________________ 200
Devastate ___________________________ 101
Sunder Armor ________________________ 301
Heroic Strike _________________________196
Cleave ______________________________ 130 (Split)
Mocking Blow ________________________ 290
Demoralizing Shout ___________________ 56 (Split)
Battleshout __________________________ 69 (Split)
Commanding Shout ___________________ 68 (Split)
Disarm______________________________ 104
Hamstring ___________________________ 181
Whirlwind ____________________ 100% Damage (Unaffected by Stance Multiplier)
Execute ______________________ 100% Damage (Unaffected by Stance Multiplier)
Thunderclap __________________ 175% Damage
Spell Reflect __________________ 100% Damage

These are the values that I've been basing my rotation off of. Do you have proof of the higher threat generation from Devastate? While the initial attacks would have a higher amount of threat because they are applying sunders, that effect does not carry through once the 5 stacks are applied, do they? I also chose to talent revenge because there is the chance to silence the target. Seems to be beneficial against caster bosses as long as they are not immune.

Frusty
02-09-2010, 02:57 PM
also it looks like your hit and expertise is low. If hit and expertise your skills can be dodges and some will miss. If you hit/expertise cap or get close your threat will increase due to less skills being missed or dodged.

Inaara
02-09-2010, 03:14 PM
We stress 26 expertise because every 4 points amounts to a 2% net gain in hit by reducing both dodge and parry by 1%. With the increased damage in Devestate it will now do more damage than Revenge even if it's talented. Your information is a bit off as Revenge cannot silence/interrupt a boss. Improved Revenge only gives the ability a chance to stun the mob. Without having specific examples of the fights where the DK is out-threating you I can't come up with an explanation as to why he's doing more threat but in my experiences I have had to stop DPS on tank transitions and stopped using Vigilance as well so the other tank can get a threat lead on me.

Dreadski
02-09-2010, 03:54 PM
Shield Slam _________________________ 307
Revenge ____________________________ 200
Devastate ___________________________ 101
Sunder Armor ________________________ 301
Heroic Strike _________________________196
Cleave ______________________________ 130 (Split)
Mocking Blow ________________________ 290
Demoralizing Shout ___________________ 56 (Split)
Battleshout __________________________ 69 (Split)
Commanding Shout ___________________ 68 (Split)
Disarm______________________________ 104
Hamstring ___________________________ 181
Whirlwind ____________________ 100% Damage (Unaffected by Stance Multiplier)
Execute ______________________ 100% Damage (Unaffected by Stance Multiplier)
Thunderclap __________________ 175% Damage
Spell Reflect __________________ 100% Damage

These are the values that I've been basing my rotation off of. Do you have proof of the higher threat generation from Devastate? While the initial attacks would have a higher amount of threat because they are applying sunders, that effect does not carry through once the 5 stacks are applied, do they? I also chose to talent revenge because there is the chance to silence the target. Seems to be beneficial against caster bosses as long as they are not immune.

Why are you using innate threat values? Damage is a huge factor as well. Please check out the Theory and Mechanics forum.

EDIT: People, there's no reason whatsoever to gem hit or expertise.