PDA

View Full Version : ICC Weekly - Rotting Frost Giant

keeyla
02-06-2010, 08:04 PM
We got the ICC weekly quest Securing the Ramparts (http://www.wowhead.com/?quest=24876) on 25 man. We killed the Rotting Frost Giant on the second attempt but I'm still pretty much in the dark to the mechanics of the fight.

There isn't a lot of information online about this so these are my observations: he does a knock back and a frost breath. These are both fine. It's the Death Plague ability that's the toughy. Raid members get a debuff. It ticks for some 15 seconds and at that point they need to pass this debuff onto another person who hasn't also had it in the last 30 seconds (if you have had the plague you get a recently infected debuff which lasts for 30 seconds).

To pass it on you need to be near another person. However everyone nearby gets it. So if you pass it onto a large number of people at once, when someone else gets Death Plague they might have a problem finding someone else who hasn't had it in the 30 second window. So you need to control the spread of the plague. We didn't really do this on our kill and we still managed it so this is why I'm not sure what strategy is correct.

So a way to do this fight (this is what we tried. wasn't executed perfectly but we got the kill) is to split into groups of two. If one of the pair gets it they run into space away from everyone else. When the debuff is about to drop off the other member of the pair runs out near the person with the plague and it's passed on. They then both move back to where they were and continue. Or to be safe when one of them get it they both immediately run out into space until the plague is passed on.

Has anyone got other strats for the mini-boss?

Ardour
02-07-2010, 10:46 PM
My guild took out the Rotting Frost Giant without much trouble with the same strategy. We discovered that if someone has the immunity debuff, they can still be "passed" the plague so that no one dies, but they do not get a new plague because they are immune. Therefore, you can have people pair off and stay together in pairs of 2. When one person is plagued, it passes to the other one, then when it passes back it disappears with no deaths. Knockback will still be an issue, but with the plague managed it becomes a much easier fight. What this resulted in was a pair of 2 healers, a pair of 1 healer and 1 caster dps, a pair of 2 caster dps, a pair of 2 melee dps, and a pair of 2 stacked tanks standing in a pentagon with 10-12 yards between each group. In order to do this we pulled him back to one of the circular platforms instead of on a rampart.

It is my opinion however that while this does work, it is actually an exploit and not purposeful. The fight seems to be designed as a "hot potato" strategy and blizzard will probably fix this. The other weeklys seem to be far more difficult than this one, and without this strategy working it would be brought back in line with the others.

Grarl
02-08-2010, 02:44 AM
I'm not sure how you managed to kill it with people standing in fixed pairs for the entire fight. The debuff lasts 15 seconds; the immunity lasts for 30 seconds; and the plague will kill you if the only people nearby are immune.

The way my guild did this last night in 10-man was to have two ranged/healer camps of 3 people each, and the tank/melee as a third group. When Person A in a given group was infected, I called on vent for Person C to move away from their group; when Person A's plague wore off, A becomes immune and B is infected. Person C then returns to their group. When B's debuff now wears off, A is immune and C is infected; when C's debuff wears off, B is immune and A is infected; at this point, that group is fine for the rest of the fight, because the plague is just circling around within the group.

If you try this with camps of two, when A's debuff wears off it'll move to B; but when B's debuff wears off, A is immune and B will die. I really don't know how you did this with camps of 2 unless it was buggy at the time.

In our fight, the first plague went to somebody in one of the ranged camps. The second plague went to the melee group, and the third plague went to the other ranged group. I have to admit I was a bit unsure how this would work when the fourth plague went out, but it didn't cause any problems; either we had a bit of luck on our side, or the groups-of-three can actually absorb a second plague without it screwing up the cycle. I suppose if it's cast on the person that currently has it, it's irrelevant; if it's cast on the person who's immune, well they're immune; and if it's cast on the other person, well, that may be the point where you have to wing it a bit more but I think it's possible to luck out with the timing such that two plagues can circulate within a group without problems. I suppose if two people in a group of three have it, when the first plague wears off it'll jump to the other person who currently has a plague and be 'absorbed' by their existing plague.

keeyla
02-08-2010, 05:34 PM
Fair point. But you're assuming a constant refresh of the debuff which isn't what happens in reality.

Best strat is for someone with the plague to run out and someone else without it to run out with them. Doesn't need set groups but needs a bit more co-ordination.

Ultrin
03-11-2010, 06:38 PM
My guild just did it tonight and after 4/5 wipes we noticed something interesting. If the person with the debuff stands next to a person with the 30sec buff then after the 15 debuff timer goes down, the debuff just disappears.

Taking that into account we arranged our ranged and healers into 3 groups of 2 (10man Group) and put them standing at the outside. If a ranged/healer got hit they stood where they were and just let it bounce to the other and then disappear. If a melee/tank got hit, they would run to the nearest ranged and let the debuff go onto them. The ranged would then get back to the healer and continue the process above.

This worked a charm and we got him down on that try with absolutely no hassle. Not sure if it's a glitch but, knowing blizzard, there's probably a ban hammer hovering above my head as we speak! lol

Chickenpox
03-12-2010, 10:59 AM
We one shot him 25m, we brang him down to that circle where you fight the frost wyrm with ranged spread around it, and him tanked on the edge. When a ranged / healer got a plague we had them run to the center, and then had a soaker (pre arrange people for this) run into the center, and rotated soakers.
Its actually quite an easy fight if you get the plague under control

Bashal
03-12-2010, 11:49 AM
Here's what we do in 10's. Its similar to a couple other strats already posted here.

We tank him on the edge of one of those inscribed circles on the ground. Ranged splits up into two groups on either side of the circle. This is just to help limit the number of people who get frozen periodically.

1) When someone gets the plague, he runs to the middle of the circle.

2) Someone else goes to meet him. Since it was 10's we just improvised who went out "who ever calls it out on vent first is the one going in".

3) After passing along the plague, the originally infected person returns to their group. The newly infected person remains. Back to step 2.

3b) If more than one person winds up infected, those people all go to the middle and one soaker joins them. They'll all pass on the infection to that one person (found this out by accident).

Trexokor
03-13-2010, 06:30 AM
It's worth noting that simply pairing up or even grouping up does work for the reasons 2 people posted above. The person you 'pass' the plague onto does not need to be anyone specific. It CAN be someone with the immunity debuff.