PDA

View Full Version : Securing the Ramparts (10)

Raiths
02-03-2010, 01:57 AM
Ok, so the day the mini patch came out my guild was doing ICC 10. We aren't the best on our server (festergut down). We saw the Securing the Ramparts quest and found it gave 5 badges, possibly BoEs and gems.

After clearing the trash we wiped a few times on the Frost Giant.
If anyone has a guide/strat or just some basic tips for this I'd be very grateful.

notes: we 1-tanked it but I noticed that the tank can get Death Plague too (could just have a feral OT ready to pick up if tank gets plague).
also we rotated the plague between 3 people on the ramp to the far left that the Giant patrols on.
Much appreciated,
Raiths :p

Anglachel_MgThl
02-03-2010, 02:36 AM
There's not really any reason that the tank can't be healed through Death Plague. I'm the OT and it wasn't necessary for me to taunt off at any point. We just stayed in pairs and rotated out as necessary to make sure someone was around to pick up the debuff. The Icy Breath attack or whatever the name for that is was pretty bad. Definitely a raid killer, and I'm not sure how to handle it. Does it just have to be healed through?

Matthras
02-03-2010, 04:38 AM
Yep. Icy breath has to be healed through. Just spread out around him and it shouldn't be too bad.

My raid leader just ended up calling out who goes next to pick up the plague. You could try and work a triangle system, but I think he reapplies the plague or something which would screw it up. One of our mages said Iceblock removed it so I imagine immunity effects work.

I'd just have like 3/4 groups around him and readjust as necessary.

Wunhunglo
02-03-2010, 06:45 AM
Do you guys think this will be a weekly quest or just a one time thing?

5 extra frost badges every week would be pretty awesome!

Shortypop
02-03-2010, 07:19 AM
Random weekly according to http://www.wowhead.com/?item=52006#reward-from, not clear if you can do it in 10 and 25 though.

marklar
02-03-2010, 11:57 AM
we just had everyone pick a partner and stand with them. that way the disease always jumps to the partner and you can still spread out for the frost breath.

Fayre
02-03-2010, 03:18 PM
We followed the strategy Marklar mentioned, with each person having a partner that stood close to them. Tanked the mob with its back to a wall to avoid being thrown about too much, and everyone spread out as much as possible so the randomly targetted frost breath wasn't too much of a bother.

This is 10 man so I guess you'd have a fair bit less space in the 25. The boss itself didn't drop loot or badges, but obviously the quest gives some nice rewards.

Raiths
02-03-2010, 11:02 PM
we just had everyone pick a partner and stand with them. that way the disease always jumps to the partner and you can still spread out for the frost breath.

The problem i see with this strat is that say a player gets plague, then they pass it on to their partner and then are immune (not sure for how long). After this their partner will have nobody to pass the plague to.

I might be wrong if the immune debuff only lasts <60 sec. I'll check the plague timer and immune timer this weekend.

Crommi
02-04-2010, 08:23 AM
Random weekly according to http://www.wowhead.com/?item=52006#reward-from, not clear if you can do it in 10 and 25 though.

Both 10man and 25man have their own random weekly, you can complete both during the same week.
We had "Securing the Ramparts" on 25man and "Blood Quickening" in 10man.

marklar
02-04-2010, 11:57 AM
The problem i see with this strat is that say a player gets plague, then they pass it on to their partner and then are immune (not sure for how long). After this their partner will have nobody to pass the plague to.

I might be wrong if the immune debuff only lasts <60 sec. I'll check the plague timer and immune timer this weekend.

possibly, i'm not sure - we got it the first attempt with this strategy. in fact, our hunter went over to MD, and he got nailed with the disease right away; when he was running back to get into position, he spread it to about half the raid (10-man). we thought that would be a problem because of immunity, but for whatever reason it was a non-issue.

Wunhunglo
02-04-2010, 12:29 PM
Here is our guilds strategy for this fight:
10 Man consisting of 2 tanks, 3 healers, 5 dps.

Make 3 groups.

One group is 2 tanks and 1 healer. The other groups each have a healer and dps. You must have a minimum of 3 players in each group or the debuff you get after the disease will not jump and someone will die.

Have the tanks+healer in front and the other two groups behind him at about 4 and 8 o'clock (the tanks representing 12 o'clock). Stand at his feet.

This does a few things:
1) It allows the disease to jump w/o insta killing anyone.
2) It prevents more than 1 of your healers getting frozen in place at once so raid healing can continue as needed for the fight.

This same strategy can be used for 25 man.

Raiths
02-08-2010, 07:35 PM
Thanks for all the replies guys, think we'll go with Wunhunglo's strategy. Unfortunately (as far as i am aware) we'll have to wait till next week, because we decided to down Gunship and DBS and come back. (Think the mob stays but the hand-in NPC despawns)

Varagar
02-10-2010, 09:17 AM
I single tanked it last night, no problems. I didn't notice when the plague was on me, other than a skull on my head (the OT then came to stand next to me to soak up the disease and pass it off). I tanked him against the outer wall so that his knock-back/up didn't project me anywhere. We two healed it, and so long as you pass the disease around should be no real need to panic. The frost breath was the only challenging part, since if you pack up too tight sometimes it will ravage squishies.

Eravian
02-12-2010, 08:09 AM
We did this last night on ten man, using a single tank (myself). We just split into two groups of five, and fought him under one of the arches, with one group back against the arch on each side. This limited his knockbacks, and since we had healers in both groups, he went down easily. Took us a few tries before we opted for that strategy, but when we did that it was a piece of cake.

Trork
02-12-2010, 09:26 AM
My guild is not top server either, we did this mini-boss on our 3rd attempt (frapsed it from 70% on, will post later):

I marked 5 diferent people with random raid markings, have them all /range 10 (if you use DBM)
have them stand with their back onto a tent or wall or something so they dont get pushed back.
Now get the remaining 5, and have them stack up to someone have ranged stack with ranged/heals; melee with melee and the tanks stack up together too.
Tanks should stay with their back to a wall too, and melee will have to run back to the boss after every knockback aoe.

Now if you arrange like that, it should just be a tank and spank :-)

For 25 mans, instead of stacking 2 guys up, stack 3 guys.