PDA

View Full Version : ICC10 Marrowgar Vid, need some feedback

Zero_FeniX
01-31-2010, 06:04 PM
Hey, I just made my first wow video guide and wanted some input from people who, I hope, know what they want ;p Not sure if it's okay to post other videos here for fear or rivalry or something if so sorry, otherwise. Let me know what you think. Should I keep going, tips, suggestions welcome.

The quality is shotty at the moment I frapsed at a very low frame rate and was just messing around then I decided to push it. The actually mp4 encoding looks pretty good but youtube made in nasty hopefully that will change once full processed.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nz0q0GE7SAI

*edit: Looking better after some processing time, that's releaving.

Martie
01-31-2010, 10:23 PM
You have a lot of things to say about the fight, and you explain it quite well, but you only use the first two minutes of the video for it. You pack all the information into such a short period of time, and with so little breathing room that it gets confusing and stressie. Take your time! The movie lasts well over six minutes, and you should try to spread what you have to say a little more.
So if you give us a little breathing room every now and then, talk a little more slowly and give us a chance to let the information sink in, you are well on your way in your marmot training.

Oh, and I hate that music that you chose, but that's subjective.

Bodasafa
01-31-2010, 11:26 PM
Overall not bad, few things I would suggest.

You could probably leave out the zoom in's on the Boss Timer Bars, the letters show up blurry and it's rather redundant since your explaining the name in the voice over.

You could also spread out the information you have for the encounter and have some light back round music to go along with it rather than talking , then music.

Zero_FeniX
02-01-2010, 09:27 AM
First off I'd just like to say thank you for the responses.

I do plan on putting some background music in but I couldn't think of anything at the time so I just left it out. The resolution is garbage because I was frapsing at half screen on 1680x1050. I'm going to try recording at full screen. I did some testing and the FPS isn't too bad it will work out a little better, when I can get another hard drive, so I'm not recording to the same one I'm running off of.

As far as the zooms go, I thought they would be a nice effect at the time, just to highlight the abilities, but the more I look over it the less I like it. I might try masking with the next vid I make but I'm less familiar with masking, seeing as I just started working with Vegas this weekend.

And then, we come to the commentary. This is the biggest thing I'd like to work on because it's the main part of the video. I'm trying to do something a little different than what most tankspot releases do. Rather than just adding commentary to a fully frapsed fight I'm trying to highlight and point out the abilites/keypoints that you should be looking out for so that you can see these, and be aware of what they look like, and how to react at that time. I'm also trying to keep the videos short and to the point--though I do add a full fight in at the end--because a lot of the information is arbitrary to a persons role in the raid. If you're a ranged you don't really want to sit there and listen to what the tanks have to do for 2 minutes you wanna know what you need to do and get on with it. That's why I'm trying to condense the narration and keep it short. I may or may not be trying to come up with something innovative but I figured I'd give it a try. I guess the first few people so far haven't really liked that perspective so maybe I will have to change it.

Does that sound like a good idea or bad to most of you?

Keep the feedback coming :)

swelt
02-01-2010, 10:32 AM
I liked the positioning diagram alot, it's something I think more vid guides could use. Zooming in on specific elements as you described them was also good. It might be hard to keep doing those kinds of things for every encounter, but if you can keep it up, it'll be nice.

I think you need to distinguish a bit more clearly between opinions/options vs fact. Example: people will get put in bone graveyards is a fact. Ranged dps must burn them down is an opinion, or an option. Having melee assist is another option. It's a common tendency in guides to express "the way we do it" as "the way to do it" but the best guides in my opinion recommend their option rather than proscribing the only way of doing it. This is a semantic thing but I think it's important. You pointed out the alternative option in the diagram section, it just bugged me when the first time around you were specific.

marklar
02-01-2010, 01:10 PM
i thought it was really good for your first attempt. the resolution definitely needs to be better, but that's not a criticism of the video itself.

i liked how you highlighted the key points of the fight, and how to deal with them - the quick zoom was a nice touch. it did feel like you got a little rushed towards the end of the explanation, but it was overall a good picture of the fight.

Zero_FeniX
02-03-2010, 10:08 AM
Alright, well thanks for the responses. I'll be making another video for Valithria Dreamwalker this weekend when I'm not completely overloaded with school (electrical engineering sucks, I should'a stayed comp sci ;p). I recorded it in 1680x1050 so the resolution is much better and I'm in the process of uploading the fight by itself now, I'll make the guide later. I also frapsed most of our other fights so I might make videos for those too when I get a chance any tips suggestions welcome! Constructive criticism also welcome.

Durial
02-06-2010, 09:51 AM
I'd just like to say it was a good video. Although it's a very simple fight, you managed to describe every element quite well.

I.e. zooming in on certain aspects helps the viewer have more in-depth knowledge of the ability, what it looks like etc.

Also, for 'how to do videos' try to extend all the information you have to offer over the whole duration. Play music in the background (quietly), but don't completely diminish your vocals and add in music for 5 minutes or so.

The diagram was good, nicely made, very easy to read, also giving options for ranged to decide where they wish to stand was good.

Remember Options over opinions are always highly considered when making videos.

EDIT:
Also, you may wish to calm your UI down a bit, so the viewer can have a better look. Perhaps get rid of heals on you etc, you have no need to know them ;p
You may wish to reduce the quality, to make the video look a bit 'smoother'. Overall, nice video.

/Gón - Talnivarr EU