PDA

View Full Version : how did you come up with your toon names?

defence
01-26-2010, 07:55 AM
For defense, I dunno, I wanted to be a tank, and defense is something that tank do. I didn't know I was naming it as a stat lol.

For Duarte, it was during the Dominican Parade 2 years ago, and I was patriotic

For my new toon, Chasseresse, I thought it would be unique to name her "female hunter" in french (I found out 39 others named themselves that, 38 female hunters).

How did your name came about?

Bowen
01-26-2010, 08:57 AM
I used to be called james9689 in runescape, my first mmorpg. When I started WOW I knew it was something bigger and more important and I wanted to get a really good reputation on my realm so I thought about a name that people would remember and was also good. Years and years ago I really liked a film called dragonheart that had a warrior called Bowen in it, the name kind of sounded perfect.

Bashal
01-26-2010, 09:00 AM
The name "Bashal" just popped into my head.

Later, I realized that while playing on another toon, I must have come across an area called "Bashal'Aran" in Darkshore. :P

All my other names are at least based on the random name generator.

Theotherone
01-26-2010, 09:03 AM
All my toons = Grateful Dead songs.

Swam
01-26-2010, 10:27 AM
My first toon Gramaton I made while watching Equilibrium.
My Dk Swam is my Name spell checked on a cellphone
Dochorrible my priest from the sing along blog
Drwho my pally I got from the timelord
Hondmewanjo, shaman named after a text from one of my guildies, we still dont know what he was tying to say
Mivonks my goblin rogue, curse from farscape meaning balls
Cadargo my mage also from farscape
Tanuviel my hunter, cause I had to use a lotr name. Btw she has a bear as a pet named Berin
Ulfheonar: my one and only ally toon, a worgen. Got it from the elite solders of oden who were berserkers who wore wolf pelts.

Kazeyonoma
01-26-2010, 01:41 PM
My original toon was named Takayonoma from EQ, i had a friend who for whatever reason liked to name his chars with a K and a Z in them almost always, and since I was rerolling as an Iksar Monk, i said eh, sure why not, and he came up with Kazeyo, and i went with Kazeyonoma. Sometime before I played WoW and after I quit EQ, i found out this friend (who'd I lost touch with overtime), had committed suicide, and his grandmother contacted me by pleading with SoE to search his friends list about anything she could about his very quiet/lonely life that he spent mostly playing games, and she found on his computer he only listed 2 people ever as his friends, I was one of them. Ever since then, I also name my toons after the char name he gave me just to keep his memory alive.

Güth
01-26-2010, 02:30 PM
Güth came around after I transferred to a new server and Guth was taken by a character already, which was short for a rather .. embarrassing .. nickname from a girl I was dating. This was my first character, and a warlock.

Cyberwaste is the name of my warrior, and that is a tribute to the warlock of the same name that helped me learn how warlocks worked when I was first leveling to 60 and he eventually got me into a raiding guild.

Musclebound
01-26-2010, 02:39 PM
My first toon, my warior main, is named Musclebndfrk. I originally had no intention of playing the game past the 2 week trial so I wasn't too concerned if the name was clever or not, and I thought it was funny how exaggerated the characters muscles were, so...I picked a name that kinda poked fun at that. Of course Muscleboundfreak is way too long so I had to abbreviate it a bit. This ended up becoming a major inside joke with my guild (Friends With Benefits, Anvilmar - US) when we were running 25s with another guild, as their raid leader always thought my named was "Muscleback". Totally wasn't awkward or anything <_< >_>

I also have :
A neglected NE Druid named Notdruish (Spaceballs ftw) although apparently the name wasn't as original as I thought.
A (also neglected) DK named Setabominae (named for the the mascot of Iced Earth, a metal band I'm particularly rabid about_
And my new baby, an enhance/resto Shammy named Bigtotem (Immature? Maybe, but I couldn't resist)

Jalousie
01-26-2010, 02:59 PM
Jalousie - Warrior. French for 'jealousy'. I had an idea that I might name my characters with abstracts. She was initially going to be 'Mortuary'.
Grushenka - Deathknight. Character from Dostoevsky's 'Brothers Karamazov'. If you've read it, you'll get it.
Graves - Rogue. I like the Misfits.
Gravedancer - Warlock. Cannibal Corpse song title which seemed appropriate for speccing demonology.
Hawthorne - Druid. Cute name for a Tauren, I thought. Yup, she's a herbalist.

The top four are all female undead. If it ain't broke...

Eisen
01-26-2010, 04:28 PM
Eisen- My wariror. German for "Iron" I orignally wanted "steel", but "Stahl" was taken and I didn't like the sound anyway.

Ceisar- My warlock. Originally named Cesar, but altered when I did a server Xfer. Name came from the fact I was eating a Ceaser salad when I rolled him.

Veja- Resto Shammy. Named after Veja Mate, a Latvian goddess of winds, birds and woodlands.

Whim- Rogue. My name for my rogue toon on like 6 diff MMOs at least to date, plus countless MUDs. Oddly enough, derived from me trying to come up with a toon name "on a whim".

Murdog
01-26-2010, 08:21 PM
Murdog - Last name is Murray and is just a random nickname my friends tagged me with. And also some random said that it was short for Murderous Dog which i found like a cool way of explaining it lol.

Then i have various versions of Mur-

Murfrog - DK
Murrdog- Shaman
Murmaid- Female Pally/War

Arterius
01-26-2010, 10:34 PM
Arterius is the last name of the primary villain of a popular XBox game(hint: the sequel of it just came out today ;))

Rayshaun, my DK, is just something I came up with randomly. It's basically just two common names combined.

Milani, my Mage, is the last name of this one really hot chick I know. :P

Karlhungus
01-27-2010, 12:43 AM
I'm a Big Lebowski fan. :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tCZhAPMfZAU

Trork
01-27-2010, 05:07 AM
Trork, my DK, was just random.
Holger, my Shaman, is named after a Danish myth (and a statue) of a Viking (Holger Danske) that sits in a cave underneath the "hamlet" castle in northern sealand.
Klonga, my Rogue, is actually the pronunciation for balls in danish, yeah, I know... silly, but I find it funny, wanted to get the tittle salty for him, but stoped playing with him.
Terrelious, my Druid, is also random.
Tyrkiskpeber, will be my female troll hunter, is a candy that I used to eat 2 bags a day when I quit smoking, actually helped me alot in quitting smoking.
Aspargus, will be my goblin warlock... cause I think hes gonna look like an aspargus :)

Lore
01-27-2010, 06:34 AM
http://lorelol.ytmnd.com

Eravian
01-27-2010, 06:51 AM
Eravian (Warrior): This was the name I used for my bard the first time I actually beat Baldur's Gate II, and then I also used the name when I beat Morrowind.

Vejran (DK): I just made up for a story I'm working on in my spare time.

Cirin (Paladin): Definitely related to Kirin, and probably derived from it, but not necessarily consciously.

Melchizedek (Priest): That one was just too appropriate to pass up.

Leralas (Hunter): My twink character that I accidentally leveled to 20 (lol), he was just supposed to have an elf sounding name... didn't realize until later it looks really close to Legolas and rhymes with Feralas.

Morganth (Warlock): Named in honor of Morganth, that wizard you have to kill in Redridge. I'm going to level him to 80, and destroy everyone that once attacked Morganth in Redridge. ;-)

Celebrimbor (Reserve - Likely a Mage): This name is from the Silmarillion, and I plan to make him a JC/Enchanter. Haven't made him yet (just have the name on reserve ;-) ), because I'll probably make him a Night Elf mage once Cataclysm hits (would make him Blood Elf, but all my other toons are Alliance, so why segregate him?).

Krenian
01-27-2010, 06:57 AM
Ok a lot of my toons have a HUGE D&D background setting so get ready.

Carlospablos: A thief I made in D&D, he was one of the greatest characters I had the pleasure to play. It was then natural to make him into a Rogue in WoW and have fun with it. He was my first toon ever.
Tonypablos aka Earthshield: Brother of Carlospablos in D&D, he was a Fighter and as such, suits his rank well in WoW as a Warrior. He was my second toon and the one I currently favor.
Marissah: My shaman, she comes from my first MMO I ever played: FFXI. I played Mari for three years and so I decided to keep her name in WoW and make her my shaman. She was the toon I raided with in BC.
Silmaeria: A deriviant of Silmaria, one of the three Goddesses of Fate from the Valkyrie Profile games. I just liked the game at that point and when I made the paladin, I named her Sil. The wingalings they have make it a great name!
Lissandra: A name I just randomly generated. She's my rogue on the horde side who's gotten to my main. Carlos is pretty much retired.
Earthmender: My druid, I wanted a Tauren like name that had relevance to healing the Earth. Earthmender made the most sense. (Note: I had a gm message me out of the random to tell me that I had an awesome name. Yeeeah!)
Earthshatter: My DK on the horde side, it's the same concept as my druid, except more about broken oaths and forgotten past. Shatter worked.
Earthshield: Tony's horde reincarnation, he originally would of been a tank on the Horde side but I fell in love with my Fury spec and raid as Fury. I will raid as Prot with him which makes his name work.
Raiyanna: Another random name, this was a Draenai before it became a Blood Elf. I found the name suited a Draenai female so ran with it.
Calis: The I has a lil accent on it that we call in french "un accent grave". This was my FIRST ever D&D character, who was a Ranger/Fighter. He's now a hunter and stuck at level 65. I'm going to try to get him to 80 at some point. He was probably my favorite toon (because he was my first toon) so I had to make him.

And finally, Krenian. Krenian Kandos, Warrior extraordinaire out of D&D. The man was a beast of a fighter and an amazing toon to play when I used to play D&D hardcore. He was a general and a leader. However in one of the campaigns, he died. So, with that, it only made sense to make this my DK.

Garrot
01-27-2010, 07:28 AM
Great topic and some great responses..Here is a faew of mine,

Garrot which is my main handle and a name that originated like Krenians' in D&D and is short for Garrot Sin.

Aside from that there has been a few others such as Sal Monella, Fromunda, Urine Trouble, Playtex, Gill Manson and the rest, I wont ever admit too..

My roots are deep set in PvPing in many different games and the name choices reflect that..

Shortypop
01-27-2010, 07:40 AM
I'm pretty boring Shortypop started off life as Shortypants (boy gnome, fairly obvious why). My alts who I no longer play are a little more interesting:
Dynamitz - Gnome mage - from the saying "Dynamite comes in small packages"
Terramitz - Gnome lock who "terrifies"
Titchnfthrs - Moonkin - short for "Titch in feathers" - Titch was a nickname my ex-GM had for me and is she wasn't a gnome I decided she couldn't be "mitz".

Elysian
01-27-2010, 10:16 AM
The guild I created for WoW, about 2 years before its release, was called Elysian. It was named after a friend of mine's girlfriend said it when trying to think up a good name. Elysian (or Elysium) is a greek (and later latinized in Rome) to mean essentially, heaven. It was the "resting place" for fallen heroes and warriors who died in battle.

I made an alt char to save the name Elysian so no one else could have it as their toon name. Some time into vanilla WoW, my wife needed help leveling an alt, so I used my alt, Elysian, to do so. It ended up becoming my main. Otherwise, my other warrior alt, Sarv would of been my main probably. I got a lot of people asking how was it that I was able to (with great ego) name my guild after myself. In reality it was the other way around. As the MT for many years, this kind of stuck and I became a sort of mascot for my guild after 6 years. Once my guild finally died, I changed my warrior's name back to Sarvoth, which used to reside on my original main, a mage.

Sarvoth, is my name currently. This has been my online name (people called me Sarvoth even when my char name was Elysian) since High School (over 10 years). Someone else on the net also goes by Sarvoth, which is pretty annoying. It used to be unique only to me, as I made the name up completely out of parts of older online names I went by. There used to be a time I could google the name Sarvoth and only get results pertaining to me, now this other guy runs around with it :P There is even someone in RL with the name Sarvoth. Oh well, the chances are there that this could happen. There is no special meaning behind the name at all, just made it up randomly.

Bloogan
01-27-2010, 12:18 PM
Bloogan sounded barbaric and tough i originally though of it for champions of Norrath i liked it so much it stuck

Predakhan
01-27-2010, 12:46 PM
Being a feral druid I wanted to incorporate being a predator with being a shape shifter with being a king of the jungle. And yes I was a transformer fan when I was young.

So Predakhan seemed to fit all three.

Oblivion
01-28-2010, 07:35 AM
Warrior: I started the game with about four or five friends who wanted to roll together on a PvP server. I wanted to roll a a rogue, but a friend who had been playing as a warrior at the time said I needed to make a warrior, they were incredible, he was making a healer, ect. I had no interest in playing a warrior, or tanking, but ended up rolling it and the name came into play because we all had names that had the 'tion' Commotion, Aggravation, Redemption. I got stuck with Termination..and yes, I heard all the jokes. When I switched servers, I renamed him after my nephew who was just born about a week prior, Caleb..and when I faction changed him to Horde, he became Mance, ripped shamelessly from the Song of Ice and Fire series.

Paladin: Kantele. Taken from a song of the same name by Amorphis.

Rogue: My original Rogue name was Caesh, a name of a character from a story a friend of mine was writing, when I stopped playing Alliance, I rolled another rogue and named him Asarel, which I got from the same friend on account that I pretty much fail at coming up with names.

Mage: Cyrael was basically just a slight alteration of something that popped up on the random generator. Leveled him to 80 and the very first raid I went on, he was dubbed Cereal and it stuck.

DK: Like my rogue his name came from a story a friend of mine wrote, I found out later that Valesh was also something that pops up when the Alliance are yellin'.

Supermassive
01-28-2010, 11:24 AM
For supermassive bosses you need someone who is supermassive enough to take supermassive hits.
So I named my toon Kaityperry.

Tankfailure
01-30-2010, 03:06 AM
i suck with names so i use randoms that pops in my mind :P
theoneuhate - kickazz warrior
iambehindyou- rogue xD
bangbang- a huntard hehe

Lilmissy4205
01-30-2010, 07:26 PM
I've had a lot of different names for forums and MMORPGs. Runescape, I was EvelynNyht, which was a common username I had for a forum I used to frequent. But the name didn't seem right as I grew out of that character. So I researched Horde races and classes that I'd enjoy the most. Paladin was what fit my personality and naturally blood elf was the only option. So I pulled out my elven name generator sheet I'd kept around as well as the Tolkien elven dictionary I had printed out. Aelela (eye-lee-la) is "Knight Hawk." The rest of my toons all end with -ela "hawk."

As for lilmissy4205, no it doesn't have anything to do with 420. Fourty-two is the answer to the universe and 05 is my grad year from high school. As for lil missy, I'm 5'2" and obviously a girl, thus the lil missy part. And it was a nickname one of my theatre "family members" had for me while I was growing up.

BlazeDale
02-01-2010, 11:13 AM
Tankard... I'm a dwarf, I tank, I drink... Nuff said.

Mhoram
02-01-2010, 01:09 PM
Random name generator. All of 'em. Sometimes it's harder picking the right name than it is designing the character's look.

Muffin Man
02-01-2010, 02:18 PM
I got roped into wow and a bunch of friend rerolled on blackrock to level with me.

At the time I had no idea what any of the classes really did or played like. So I went with the most simple analogy from WC3 I could find... Tauren Warrior. Then clicking through the skin patterns I saw one that was roan. Which triggered the pun: Roan Ranger off of the Lone Ranger. Sadly, none of my friends play or all play elsewhere now, so my toon did end up alone. Sadly, also playing on a pacific/oceanic server a lot of people assume it's some sort of racist joke against asian accents or what not. I usually tell them to go look up what roan is and they feel pretty stupid afterwards though (most of them aren't offended so much as wanting to hate on asians so I like shutting them up).

Since then, all my alts have had lame puns as well.
Greencloud - orc shaman, pun off Red Cloud
Bellringer - troll dk, I found her ugly like Quasimodo and I guess she's meant to ring people's bell...
Subarctic - frost mage naturally

Then there's Kelzaral - a undead warlock I named after an demonic/possessed dwarf sorcerer from this game called Confrontation.

Bodasafa
02-01-2010, 02:47 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AVk3mR2UhgI

It pop'd in my head at the character creation screen.

The place where you loose your self and find yourself

Karleigh
02-01-2010, 05:23 PM
Karleigh: from a baby name book, means "Little and womanly" French; Also now played in a D&D 3.5 game.
Linlori: derived from a program called Tablemaster; Linlori Merliniel is her full name, and was first played as a half-elven mage in an online, play-by-post 2nd ed AD&D game. I now play her in a 3.5 D&D game as well.
Sillenael- another name derived from Tablemaster; named for Silael Lirrinil (known to humans as Silverlight), moon elven priestess of Sehanine Moonbow, as played in a play-by-post 2nd ed AD&D game.

Glampyre
02-02-2010, 06:42 AM
Hi All,
This is my first post on Tankspot. Thought it would be appropriate to start with some exposition.

Glampyre, my Death Knight (and new Main) is the reanimated then emancipated form of my Warlock Glamdrella. They look the same except for the undead motif on Glampyre. Same face,hair, etc. Fun factoid here : I am 10% RP nerd. There is a whole back story to it and lineage woven into WoW lore. (ok maybe 50%) I could go on and on...

Glamdrella was first created in the CoN milleu on PS2 where I played a Shadowknight (might as well have been called a Death Knight). When I was on the CC screen I thought well now.. she is kinda hot and a bit scary therefore the Glam, short for Glamourous, and Drella derivitive of Vampirella.

Glamdrella challenged the minions of the Lich King and, through sheer coincidence, while at Scholomance on a scouring mission, she crossed paths with what was once Arthas. Brave from the Start, Defiant to the last! such was her epitaph. Her doom was sealed. For 15 years she had served at the Fallen One's feet after he struck her down with a single blow. Arthas gave her life again, but, not real life ... the life of a thrall. A hidden gift he also gave her, in addition to the awesome Death Knight powers the gift of Hate. Mairelle "Glam" Lifeseed
born a nature-loving, inquisitive, poetic soul was now empowered with the burning rage of a thousand scorned psyches. Armed thusly and with a connection to nature born in her blood as a half elf. She reclaimed her freedom and became Glampyre Hateseed, ronin Death Knight with nothing but vengence on her mind.

or something like that..

Glam

P.S. I am a male that play female toons,because, if I have to look at someones backside all day it will be a girl:)

Fastous
02-02-2010, 08:18 PM
Fastous (Slightly modified for asthetic purposes)
–adjective
1.haughty; arrogant.

Kargun
02-10-2010, 04:05 AM
Kargun, my main, is a dwarf hunter and I thought the name sounded kinda Dwarfish :S

Same concept for my Dwarf DK - Baelgrun. Amusingly, discovered AFTER creating him that there is a Baelgun's dig site and that there is now a crossbow named after it. My main had a crossbow for a while which was sort of named like my alt.

My female dwarf paladin is called Damnfugly, because, well, its a female dwarf and therefore pretty damn f***kin ugly.

Horaxe
02-11-2010, 05:31 AM
Mine comes from Dungeons & Dragons. Kas the Bloody Handed or Kas the Betrayer was the second in command for Vecna a powerful Lich who eventually became a God. One day Kas turned on Vecna and using the sword the Lich forged for him took his hand and eye (which are now popular artifacts in the game) the result was Kas was banished to the Plane of Shadows, where he became a Vampiric Death Knight.

A little fudging with the letters and I became Khaas the Blood DK.

Alkatractite
02-11-2010, 06:41 AM
My first toon was a paladin I made on my brother's account before I had one. His name was Shifalier, based on "shifa," which means health in Urdu, a language I speak a bit from living in Pakistan for a while. When I got a guest pass and made my own toon it was a Tauren warrior, named Serrmarna, which basically means "headbasher" in the same language. But I was a utter noob and didn't really understand servers and factions when I made him on a different server and all my bros toons were alliance, so I switched and made another paladin. His name is Alkatractite, which I think was inspired in part by the random name generator, but sadly I don't remember. Nowadays I try to name all my toons with an "alk" or "alka" portion and then something that relates to the class. Like my shaman is "Alkatotem," and my dk (not sure if I'll ever get him to 80, 65 now just for professions) is "Obliteralka."

Paulbunyin
02-12-2010, 09:48 AM
Paulbunyin- based off the old Tall tale. I like stories and I figured a Axe wielding warrior named after the character in the tall tale would be cool. I made this toon in TBC cause my guild at the time had no room for my hunter in raids really and they needed tanks, so I rerolled this warrior. I tanked in TBC, and in WOTLK I've done almost nothing but DPS on him. Lolz

IBjammin- My troll Hunter. He be jammin mon!!! Originally this toon was named Belloq cause i was watching Indian Jones at the time and the villian in the lost Ark is Dr. Rene Belloq. Shrug. But this character was a character I played in Vanilla wow on a pvp server for a long time. When burning crusade came out I switched servers to play with some friends and Belloq was taken.......weird. So.... IBjammin I thought was a funny name for a troll hunter. I might add his pet now is a Wolf named IBhowling.

Maggotcow- He's a DK, and a Cow. So he's a dead cow. With maggots. I have no idea i just decided to make this toon cause I wasn't tanking on Paul really. Tanking became his offspec. I wanted to try tanking as another class and a big dead cow DW frost tank appealed to me.

Tygrasvoth- My first toon in wow. Played him in vanilla wow for a long time. He was alliance human Pally. This character name came from a Jedi I played in westend games old Star Wars d6. When I came back to playing wow when TBC came out everyone I knew was gone or was now playing Horde. So I left this guy rotting on the shelf and played my hunter and my warrior in TBC.
I have plans to resurrect this guy in Cataclysm. I already have his name saved for when I faction change and transfer.
He will be Supremebeef the mighty cow paladin in Cataclysm.

I also plan on making a Goblin rogue for Cataclysm. But I haven't come up with a name yet.

Sunderwhere
02-13-2010, 02:47 PM
I tend to go for (attempted) funny puns with most of my names. If not, then something descriptive of who/what they are.

Carchaser- my very very first character, a dwarf warrior. His name was an inside joke/hint for my then-girlfriend (now wife) that convinced me to start playing. She didn't know I had started playing (because I had swore that I'd never play, seeing as how I had been a hardcore/dedicated console gamer for my entire life) and his name was to be a clue that I wasn't just some random guy asking her for help. I originally made a warrior because in all previous RPGs of any kind, I always played a magic-user, because it was what interested me the most. My girlfriend knew this, so that was part of why I chose the warrior, to assist with the ruse. The other part of why I chose him was because I wanted to try to be a melee class. It didn't work out and he rotted at lvl 6 because I was terribad at the game and a complete noob.

Aljahzra- Gnome Mage. My second character, after I gave up on the warrior. The name just sounded mage-y, which is what I was going for. It's mostly an amalgam of various names from different fantasy books that I've read. Retired and deleted a while ago while I was cleaning up my list of toons.

Puufbgaun- Night Elf Rogue. I made this one to level with my gf. If you don't get the name, just sound it out. My last Alliance character.

Raszahk- Undead Warlock. My first Horde character, and my main all the way from the middle of vanilla up until Wrath dropped. I was trying to think of something that sounded dead and evil, and this is what came out. It is still the only one that shows up on the Armory, so it makes me smile knowing I actually created something unique.

Soylent- Tauren DK. Slightly altered from "Soilent" because Soilent was already taken. It's a green Tauren, so, Soilent Green. If you're still confused, just google Soilent Green. **Beware of Spoilers if you ever plan on reading Soilent Green**

Gnomepunter-->Grassmuncher-->Sunderwear-->Sunderwhere- Ah, my main squeeze ever since Wrath dropped. Originally started as an alt character before I started raiding in BC. I was getting bored of playing my warlock all the time, and since I didn't raid, I had plenty of time to start a new character (I had previously ONLY played my 'lock). I wanted the alt to be as far from a 'lock as possible, so I chose a warrior. I also wanted to be unique with my warrior, so I chose a Female Tauren, because I had never seen a Female Tauren Warrior. Amazingly, Gnomepunter wasn't taken, so I nabbed it. Got her to 70 after a long while, then ended up Xferring servers, and had to rename her. I ended up taking Grassmuncher because I got stumped...and it's a female cow. I had never thought of the drug implications until I was messaged by a few different people asking about that. AAAANyway, got Grassmuncher into raiding and started gearing her up. My raiding guild all transferred away after it fell apart, so I went with my other friend to a different server. I didn't want to keep Grassmuncher, so my friend came up with Sunderwear, which I thought was appropriately hilarious and took it. I ended up moving to Germany and, in the process, finding all my old raiding group that had fallen apart before (they were all Euro/US night-shift players). Sunderwear was taken on the new server, so I altered it a little bit and Sunderwhere the DPS warrior that never tanked was born. Easily the most fitting name for her. She became my main once I Xferred to Archimonde because I ended up getting her better gear than my warlock, who got stuck in-between tiers during BC.

Twyggdrasil- My druid that I'm levelling that will be my first healer. Named for Yggdrasil, the Norse World Tree. What better name for a Tree Druid that Twygg(Twig)drasil, not quite as powerful a life force as the all-mighty World Tree, but as powerful as a small piece of it, maybe...

HoosierTrooper
02-17-2010, 08:03 AM
I'm pretty straightforward; take my real name, spell it backwards, get Eloc.
My alts are generally a variation on that, like Elok or Elocia.

Voddy
02-17-2010, 08:33 AM
When I'm about to name a char, I normally spend a few minutes looking up variations of Greek Gods/Titans and using them. They always seem to be taken, so I opt for random names which end up being quite nice :)

woodyman
02-17-2010, 08:36 AM
here is original
i took my nickname and stuck man on the end of it

Banterloft
02-18-2010, 08:38 AM
My very first toon, and hunter, was Banterloft. This was a random gen name from a DnD toon I played years ago.

My DK is Daedalous - Icarus' father from mythology.

My Shaman is Icarus - ... Son of Daedalous in mythology. lol

My Priest is currently Varudu. His origional name was Varu, named for one of the first people that really took me under their wing back in Vanilla WOW and showed me the ropes. His EQ toon was Varu. When I transfered him from alli to horde recently I went with Varudu. My own little spin on Voodoo.

Luxx
02-25-2010, 08:20 PM
My first toon is my Druid named "Gory" which is basically the last 4 of my full name Gregory and a nickname I had.

The 2nd toon I made was a Warlock named "Trublood" I got the name from one of the players last name on the Tampa Bay Buc's football team years before the HBO show of the same name appeared.

My mage is named "Luxx" got that name from one of the sisters in Virgin Suicide, Kirstin Dunst character is named "Lux" and really thought it was a cool name.

Shaman is named "Osca" well because I couldn't think of a name and "Shamwow" was taken.

Last but not least my Paladin..his name is "Boxlunch" because my GF thought it was the funniest name for oral sex on a women and I had to lock it in before she did ;)

Oh and my DK is named "Bionaire" and I got that name off the remote control that works the fan in my room.

Fledern
02-25-2010, 11:22 PM
Fledern: The first comic book i read was Batman and it was in German (i didnt know a single german word at thetime but i still fell in love with the character). Batman still remains my ultimate superhero. I chopped off the maus bit from the german for bat, added an "n" to sound a little harsher & clicked the "create" button.

Gulyabani: This is a wraith-like old hag from a famous story. She would either terrorise or just sit by a fire to have a chat with travelers camping at night. Seemed an appropriate name for an already dead female toon.

Muezzin: Preacher in the muslim world. Started life out as Flamebeard due to the red beard & being a dwarf (i like cheesy names), then got renamed during a server transfer

Shadowsting: Rogue. Like i said. I like cheesy names.

Magaena: The "Jealousy" personification of the three Furies in mythology. Furies in roman, Erinyes in greek myth. I'd have much preferred Alecto (Fury) but that was already grabbed by one +P=(%/'+=(%/!+=(&/!+&! ganker rogue...

Bleu: Well, she's draenei and very blue...

Edgar
02-26-2010, 07:34 AM
Warrior - Briggs - Named after a Football player
Mage - Nevoron - I came up with that myself and I have now idea how
Priest - Stanhope - Named after Comedian Doug Stanhope
Warlock - Amped - Just needed a cool name and though of that snowboarding game I used to play on Xbox

Mizariz
02-27-2010, 12:53 AM
Tumora Paldin
Chaunteah - Warrior
Shandril - DK
Myztra - Mage
If you know FR you will see a Patten.

Also have a priest named Mizariz, old name that stuck since CS 0.7 - Dunno how i came up with it.

MrMooky
03-03-2010, 02:04 PM
Ogun - In Haitian (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Haiti) Vodou (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Haitian_Vodou) and Yoruba (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yoruba_people) mythology (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yoruba_mythology), Ogun (or Ogoun, Ogun, Ogou, Ogum) is a loa (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Loa) and orisha (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orisha), who presides over fire (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fire), iron (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iron), hunting, politics (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Politics) and war (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/War). He is the patron of smiths and is usually displayed with his attributes: machete (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Machete) or sabre (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sabre), rum (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rum) and tobacco (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tobacco). He is one of the husbands of Erzulie (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Erzulie) and is a husband of Osun (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Osun) and Oya (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oya) and friend to Eshu (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eshu) in Yoruba mythology.

Destruyen
03-04-2010, 11:08 AM
the first name i had for my warrior was gorby, which was what my friends called me back in high school (long story). i later switched to destruyen after being bored at work and reading it on the back of an air freshener can and thinking that it sounded pretty good for a warrior.

my shaman's name is a spin-off of my old warrior's name and it's gorbachop. i made him to be enhancement so i added the chop part to it. i referenced this in vent once when someone was assuming i was going to heal and i said, "his name is gorbachop not gorbachainheal". these days its more gorbaheal though...

didn't get creative at all with my dk's name since i wasn't planning on playing him, was just going to use him as a herbing/mining farm toon so his name is destruyenlol. now lvl 80 and i'm trying to tank on him >.>

for my druid that i'm currently leveling i named him stolitchnaya. kind of a reference to the cleavland brown show with the bears being from russia.

Misskaoz
07-20-2010, 08:45 AM
Depending on the game I'm playing, but more often than not the name has to do with the character in a sort of way. Inasense- rogue- Innocent in a sense, Harnessa, warlock- harness power, Except for some characters I have a main name I'm not posting here on all my servers and for tanks I like to name with heart breaker in the name because I break hearts.......... with my sword/axe/mace/w/e

dotOrion
07-21-2010, 02:06 AM
Azretha is how I would have transcribed a certain part of Archimonde's spell to destroy Dalaran. No idea why I choose that for a druid :p getting on Vent with people made me change the pronounciation, though, and people still shorten it to "Az".

Aeltyra was originally Aeltyr, the angel Tyrael from Diablo II with messed up spelling. The character was sex-changed to a female Human, and I added an a to make it sound more feminine.

Suunya comes from the Sanskrit adjective śūnya: zero, nothing, empty (as in: I can't come up with a decent name so I'll write "nothing" here) Because the ś didn't carry over into WoW, the name is also pronounced differently by my raid leader and I've taken over this wrong pronounciation soon-ya, or sometimes sun-ya but originally it's supposed to sound more like shoe-nya.

VampyrByte
07-21-2010, 02:30 AM
Jím and Jímmi are both names I go by IRL. They were both taken with normal I's on my realm, but the characters are never online.
Rándalla is a character from Baldurs Gate: Dark Alliance 2. the funny á is a continuing theme from the í's in my other name.
I am also now leveling toons called Jéssie and Jéssica. Following on from the Jím and Jímmi theme. Jessica is what I would have been called had I been born female.

Most other names I use I rip from obscure characters in games I like. Even had an alt called 'makinabrew' once. But I deleted it as the name was silly

Praag the Soviet
08-10-2010, 10:28 PM
Im naming my Cataclysm Warrior(yet to be made of course)Federation, after my homeland, the Russian Federation.

JollyWarrior
08-11-2010, 09:30 AM
Holis, name randomizer. Kept clicking til something stuck.

Timpani, my druid. I play drums and percussion. I thought Timpani would be an appropriate name for a druid (and was shocked to find that name not taken considering I didn't make my druid until TBC.)

Perphecshun
08-13-2010, 11:30 AM
Perphecshun - perfection was taken so I spelled it phonetically
Ahrana - I liked the name, its a troll shaman and I think it fit her quite nicely
Explicit - My rogue, dont really know why I picked this name, it just was the first thing that came to my mind when ninja was taken
Hotsfordots (with weird letters I cant do on this computer >.>) - my priest, he was originally going to be a joke character, but I leveled him up to 80 and hes my healer.

Akeo
08-14-2010, 04:07 PM
For every character I name I look up like Greek or Irish names (because I'm Irish) and look for a meaning that pertains to my class.

Errvalunia
08-15-2010, 11:42 AM
My favorite character name I've made was "Ruthchris" the tauren DK on a diff server, and tauren druid on my own. One day our server went down during a raid so we all made tauren death knights on a different server. Most people named them [theircharname]moo (Tezzymoo, Airmydmoo etc) but I thought Ruthchris (after the steakhouse, Ruth's Chris) was awesomer.

Terae
08-15-2010, 04:02 PM
What I do to name my characters is just bash the random button a few times to find one that sounds half decent, then add and remove letters from it until I find something I really like.

It's how I got Terae...

Chasey
08-15-2010, 06:33 PM
Hunter-Zumhug- Orc (1st toon to 80)got it off a naming site. Last time I checked there were 4 of them. Sounded cool to me.
Paladin-Chasey- Belf Rolled pally right after I bought TBC xpac. Never touched the toon, but was named after my fav porn star. Name has stuck.
Priest-Zasey- Belf off shoot of Chasey.
DK-Khasey-Belf well...duh. Wanted to stick with a theme.
Paladin (alliance) Byka-Human not sure how I came up with the name but its very catchy.
Warrior-Zugo- Orc fits with the Zumhug thing.

Notaclue
08-17-2010, 01:29 PM
My sister is the one who got me started on WoW. So when we got to the name part of my character i said "I have no clue what to name him" and BAM! there it was! What better way to show that I had no idea what i was doing! So my first toon was named NOTACLUE- a pally tank. Then I was gone for awhile and when I came back I decided I wanted to try a DK (now my "main") so my next toon i named NOTACLUETOO- an unholy dps DK- it seemed fitting. I also have a name reserved for Cata for my Worgen- NOTAWEREWOLF- to continue the "NOTA" line which is what friends in game usually call me. And my bank toons are BANKYMCBANK AND BANKYMCTWO for obvious reasons. :)

Neomys
12-14-2010, 06:13 PM
my old main's name ChemiKill I got it from the song ChemiKill from Exodus and I like the song and needed a name and never got rid of it.
and for my main atm Neomys, a friend of my was using it on a other server and I couldn't think of one and kinda stole it from him :P :$.
my alt that I faction and sever changed Libertel I needed to name change it(dunno the other name) is a old mobile phonecompany here.
and my other alt Duwen (means push/pushing), thought you need to push button's so I made that name up :P
and my last alt Coulorite, got the name from a sticker on my old laptop that had a colourite(something) in it, and thought to use it as a name only I typed it wrong :P

Eoika
12-15-2010, 01:46 PM
The Alphabet and randomly crossing out letters until I had 5 letters left. It was sorta difficult to sculpt 4 vowels and one consonant into anything that could be enunciated with ease. To this day I still don't think the enunciation I use is correct for the spelling.

Bovinity
12-15-2010, 02:13 PM
When I first started playing MMO's, way back in the beginnings of Everquest, I was reading this "guide" of sorts that a fellow wrote about playing a Troll Shadowknight.

The game being what it was at the time, this guide was really more about fun RP elements, style of play, etc. One of the big suggestions was to name your character something really memorable and different so people would remember it. I saw a lot of people with the standard "Darkshadownightkiller" names and lots of "Quinthalasaslasa" elfy names and I figured I'd do something totally goofy and named mine after an ice cream flavor, Bovinity Divinity.

The name pretty much stuck and I've used it in pretty much everything I do on the internet now. Sadly WoW doesn't allow surnames so I can't be "Bovinity Divinity" anymore, but Bovinity works just fine.

Of course, it's not as unique as it once was - every damn server has 50 tauren named Bovinity or some variant it seems - and everyone thinks that it has something to do with Tauren in my case too, but oh well.

Dreina
12-16-2010, 12:52 AM
Main: Information - I was kinda (am) the go to guy in our guild when it comes to mechanics etc so it felt natural xD

Rogue: Slyter - Sly is essentially synonym to rogue/tealthish etc.

Druid: Lycane - from lycanthrope, yes it's a worgen.
Rest are just randomly figured out names that I like, some from books etc
Lintilla, Nergala, Vergere(from a star wars char)

Ubermicro13
12-19-2010, 09:28 AM
My original toon was named Takayonoma from EQ, i had a friend who for whatever reason liked to name his chars with a K and a Z in them almost always, and since I was rerolling as an Iksar Monk, i said eh, sure why not, and he came up with Kazeyo, and i went with Kazeyonoma. Sometime before I played WoW and after I quit EQ, i found out this friend (who'd I lost touch with overtime), had committed suicide, and his grandmother contacted me by pleading with SoE to search his friends list about anything she could about his very quiet/lonely life that he spent mostly playing games, and she found on his computer he only listed 2 people ever as his friends, I was one of them. Ever since then, I also name my toons after the char name he gave me just to keep his memory alive.

That's deep man.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Bung
12-20-2010, 09:14 AM
You remember Beavis and Butthead right? When I sat down to try the trial version I really didn't think the game would be any good. 3 years later Bungholio is a tough level 85 warrior. LOL

Crittable
12-20-2010, 01:54 PM
By reading just the first page of this thread, I feel a little out of place considering most people have very nice reasons for the names they chose. That being said...

Crittable - Warrior tank - I wanted a reaction from the healers and dps of the groups that I was tanking for when they saw that their tank, who's supposed to be un-crittable, was named Crittable. I've gotten the reaction many times and I laugh every time.

Forsaken - Undead priest - Do I have to say anything about this? I was able to get this name many many years ago and I kept it saved until I felt like playing a priest about 2 years ago.

Scorching - Fire/Frost mage - Didn't know that they would eventually have a spell "Scorch" but I figured it fit a fire mage 6 years ago.

The other toons that I have aren't really that special... Zyraen (human pally, named from my froglok pally in EQ Zyraen Zafrogg), Nitelyter (druid made with my wife's warrior Starie, just felt they went together well), Ulg (Orc DK, thought the name fit well and was easily spelled and spoken), Rawvoltage (back then shamans = lightning bolts, to me at least), and then my new little goblin Lilgreenman.

nserafini
12-20-2010, 03:35 PM
Nixk - back in 1999 I was first getting into half-life multiplayer with my roommate. We would stay up for hours playing, drinking and chain smoking.

When I first created my Half-life account, by mistake I put in an X where the c in my name should be. I must have spent two days wondering who this nixk guy was who kept stealing my kills ! It stuck ever since.

Insahnity
12-20-2010, 03:55 PM
Most of my early toons were random ancillary characters in Wheel of Time series. And then I went to a phase where I dreamed up names just out of the blue. Recently, I have just started cheesing WoW names not taken up ("Anvina", "Kajore" for a goblin, etc.).

Nightwisher
12-22-2010, 11:29 AM
Ahh... back in the day I only had 2 toons that I really played enough to make them count.

My warrior tank was named Nightwisher. I got the name from a finnish band that I was really into at the time.

I had a draenei paladin named Baruque, a name I was using for one of the characters in a book I'm writing.

Oh. I also had a level 5 orc named Ipwnsdotcom. =D

Cridersis
12-24-2010, 06:53 AM
Cridersis is an anagram of Red Crisis which has been my internet nick for as long as I can remember. And I have no idea where I got that from.

Valandris
12-24-2010, 12:29 PM
My tankspot username used to be a name I had for a toon that I came up with but, I don't use that name anymore.

My mage is named Myrddin which is a variation of Merlin, and I named him that after the Ancient, Merlin, from Stargate SG-1 and Atlantis.http://stargate.wikia.com/wiki/Merlin
I made an undead hunter named Msixteen after the M16A2 Rifle.
My goblin rogue is Analalan...just because I had to have a pretentious name for the guy who'd cause so many ppl so much grief.
My warrior is named Campeón, which is Spanish for Champion
My horde pally is Saintbovine....because Holycow was taken.
My troll druid is Oráculo, Spanish for Oracle.
My dwarf priest is Barba sacra or Sacred Beard
My dwarf dk is Barba podrida or Rotten Beard or Putrid Beard

Zelfin
12-25-2010, 02:06 AM
Stonefire - Dune movies from the bomb they referred to as the "Stone Burner". But for a name Stonefire sounded better.

Zelfin - just a randomly thought of name while playing AD&D. Converted it to WOW when i started playing. I had created a webpage dedicated to the AD&D campaign and soon after got an email from a man in Australia. Said he named his son Zelfin and was curious what the name meant. He eplxained that during his research he found that it was a rare name used for Satan/The Devil. Being properly disturbed I saved the emails for proof and changed my warrios name to Klucknar. Oddest thing that ever happened for a toon name i chose. the rest are just random thoughts.

caeyllana
01-07-2011, 08:16 PM
My shamans name is my name, Cara.
She was originally Vindicated, which I made because I felt I was vindicated from a past relationship. (not the song like most people think)

Before that, my main was a mage named Mahailah, which is my friends daughters middle name.

After that I was Calerah and Caeyllana. Friends named those characters.

Ferim
01-07-2011, 09:22 PM
Random name generator!! I ended up pretty satisfied. Calil, Kaeld, Kellent, and Ferim.

Raliant
01-09-2011, 05:50 PM
Raliant was rather random and my DK is named "Raliants"...was a thing in my first guild, almost everybody mada a dk and almost everybody used their main toons name with an "s" at the end. No idea why.

All my other toons have their names from Tarantino movies since I just love them.

"Yubari" from GoGo Yubari - Kill Bill
"Winnfield" from Jules Winnfield - Pulp fiction (and still people in every 2nd random tell me I make them wanna smoke -.- )
"Ishii" From Oren Ishii - Kill Bill

Grimrok
01-11-2011, 08:34 AM
Bonesaw - my first character, a rogue... thought it would be a funny/cool name for an undead dude stabbing things. Influenced by both an actual bone saw and the Macho Man's character in the first Spiderman.
Lothur - similar to Anduin Lothar, though I was a Horde paladin. Figured it was fitting as well.
Grimrok - Orc Death Knight, when trying to think of a name a buddy yelled it out, it stuck, and a bunch of other alts are varieties on it. It's both Orc sounding and was unique at one point.

Anne(Nyyx)
01-21-2011, 06:05 PM
My main is a warrior, Nyyx, slight alteration of Nyx Greek goddess of the night. Kinda like me:D
Rowanne is an Shaman. Its considered a magical name and I thought it was fitting.
Then Blackwidow, a Worgen Rogue. Thought it was just cool.
Deathbydot a warlock, name says it all.
Horizon a druid. It seemed like a nice name for a druid.

Savannah
01-27-2011, 06:17 AM
I sort of just ended up with Savannah. Even though Gul'dan was and still is incredibly low pop and the server had only been up for perhaps a week when I created my priest, about fifty of the names I tried were taken. My friend was making a themed guild but all the names I tried didn't work; I also tried anything dead sounding because I had Role Played for years before I started WoW. I'm not sure why I tried Savannah but it worked and it stuck. My friends and guild members call me Sav out of game too. It was never a name I actively sought, but I'm incredibly happy I ended up with it.

My mage, Lien, is actually named after my Dreadknight in Vanguard. I picked it after hours of searching baby names websites. It means Lotus apparently.

My paladin, Oeleandra, is named after a character in Elizabeth Hayden's Symphony of Ages series.

I named my shaman Aquaria, because I'm an Aquarius (though apparently I'm now a Capricorn despite how much the western world tries to resist the science).

My rogue, Alizee, is named for the popular French singer.

My warrior and alliance mage are named Kailey after Kaylee from Firefly (I've never liked the correct spelling).

My DK, Ilyana, and my first paladin, Nephalor, are named after characters in my homebrew RP from high school.

I named a rogue Eugenides at one point, and a priest Hephestia, after the main character and goddess in Megan Whalen Turner's The Thief, which I read and adored in fifth or sixth grade.

Naph
01-29-2011, 11:22 PM
For my first toon, I google some page of random gen, elf names :p

For my DK, I wanted to be Unholy so I chose Venomlord.

For my Warlock I chose Nihilophobia, the fear of nothinghness or the void, thats why it comes from Nihilism.

For my Shamy I chose Aldous Huxley, the one who wrote "brave new world".

For my Druid I chose Zulzanza ("Zul' (http://www.wowwiki.com/Zul%27)" = prefix, describes a voodoo master, "Zanza" a Troll character).

For my Rogue I chose Assange, for Julian Assange the most important guy of this year I think.

For my Paladin, I chose Brokenhoof coz... well, its a tauren with a broken hoof :)

Best Regards!

Muffin Man
01-31-2011, 12:25 PM
My rogue, Alizee, is named for the popular French singer.

This better be a Female NE rogue.

Reev
01-31-2011, 12:33 PM
My rogue I named Reeve because it just kind of popped into my head.

My warrior I named Reev because it was like my rogue.

My hunter I named Reav because it was like my warrior.

My Death Knight I named Reiv because it was like my hunter.

My Shaman I named Rheev because it was like my Death Knight.

My first paladin I named Animasanto, which is Latin for Holy Blood, as a blood elf pally.

I deleted that pally and named the new one Veere, because it was a transposition of the letters in Reeve.

My lock I named Umbran, because the umbra is the area of total shadow.

My priest is named Oxymoron, because it's an undead priest.

My mage is Blastermastr, because I couldn't think of anything better.

My druid is named Versa for her versatility.

So most of my characters were named based off of a completely arbitrary name I came up with 6 years ago.

Buffalowings
02-28-2011, 05:41 AM
My first character I named "Fellowis" after the brand Fellowes which my mousepad is from. Was the first thing I saw and I'm not that orginal.

I got a priest called "Thinkaboutit". Found it pretty awsume untill people started: You have 'tit' in ur name -_-

And my paladin is called "Buffalowings" which I pretty much stole from the internet cause It made me laugh. I was a close battle with Retbull but since I'm going prot that wasn't a real option.

Illidra
02-28-2011, 06:24 AM
well my orignal names for my chars were

kyouzenkiru - death knight - abritrary name that soudned cool to me, turns out it can be translated to pure unstoppable death or somethign similar in japanese, found that out and was like, COOOOOL

now illidra, something even more arbitrary.

my mage was baine just coz bain was taken - now call sheeped ( quite appropriate for my pvp toon)

my hunter is - illidrakek arbitrary

my paladin is called wotsits coz i liek wotsits and many people find the paladin class cheesy and OP, suck my 4.6 ret biyatch.

my druid is a tauren called manurebad - also pvp :P

my shaman is wtfiztotemz just because no one can ever truly be sure :P

my warlock bank alt is called draintrain.

my rogue is call phuquitz ( fuckwits )

and my priest is called hogger, because i'm jsut that pro.

Scotteq
04-01-2011, 02:00 PM
Adillysse arose from me name changing, spamming the "name" button until I found something non~obnoxious, and the altering that.

My DK (Therise) got her name from a loose approximation of my warrior's original name.

A "Kukudhi" is Armenian for a vampire in the final stage of development. A Kukudhi can move in daylight, is viewed as a bringer of disease and pestilence, and makes a pretty badazz name for a Warlock.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

Denrick
07-09-2011, 10:40 AM
Boughb.... because Bob was taken and I am not much for Robert or Rob
Denrick my DK.....honestly thought it was taken but you have to check!! from the borad game heroscape!
Heretic my shammy.. cause most healers folow some holy law.
Saint my priest.. and heretics evil twin lolololol
Bartemaus my druid from a charicter form a kids book who takes many forms
Lorax...my gnome warrior who speaks for the trees!
I tend to work a theme for each toon as example
OZ....Oz is a dreni pally... thinks he is a gnome I had to do really stuid things to make him gnomyyy earning of gnomeregan title.. repgrinding at 20 so my mounts could be mech striders and the pets are all mechano.. I have talked so much junk in guild chat and the chivos I earned had to many people beliving that I have a gnome pally..

justinlee
07-12-2011, 04:18 AM
Some of my toons names are from songs , some are interesting
just like ' littlepopeye ' that's a Gnome warrior

sacredgoat
07-12-2011, 05:59 AM
My Paladin's Name is sledgehammer because when ever you see or picture a pally ... they have a big a$$ hammer in their hands
Shaman is Megawatt ... i thought it was very fitting since they deal with thunder and lightning
Worgen Druid is Rampantbeast ..... seems fitting on both counts for a worgen and druid
Warrior is Shinyplate ... its unique and i like it ;)

Rystrave
07-12-2011, 07:46 AM
Well, Rystrave came from when I was naming my air ship in I think was FFX or FFIX, I don't remember. I named my ship 'Rystravia' after just choosing random letters that sounded good together.

Scarns is just a combo of my RL first and last name.

Meshuggah
08-08-2011, 08:18 AM
Enhancement Shaman - Meshuggah is yiddish for insane, and also one of my favorite bands.

Shadow Priest - Gojira. Also a band, but more importantly Godzilla's japanese name

Feral Druid - Asbjorn. I love the show Metalocalypse, so I wanted a swedish name for my bear. It means "Divine Bear"

SinjiTheInvisible
08-16-2011, 01:47 PM
A lot of my characters' names sound like they're from an anime of some kind. For some reason, I'm just good at coming up with japanese-sounding names. (Sinji, Reonoke, Morinoko, Terikashi) Then there are others I think go well with the class/race of that character. (Thaluman [Worgan Druid], Karamesh [Worgan Warrior].) If it's in the dictionary, I don't use it for naming my characters.

Charon
08-30-2011, 06:23 AM
My first ever toon in a MMO (The Realm Online) - SmashingChickens. Was supposed to be SmashingKittens (An inside joke involving roadkill and "Bullet With Butterfly Wings") but my ex wife asked me what I wanted for dinner at the naming process. 6str, 2end giant warrior.

85 DK - Formerly Hades. Currently Pvtsnowball. What better represents death? Changed after a server xfer. DW Frost spacegoat.

84 Shaman - Charon. Ferryman across the river Styx between the land of the dead and the realm of the living. Enhance/resto spacegoat.

25 Mage - Cryomaniac. Frost human, leveled (almost) exclusively in Warsong Gulch. I love a good CTF match.

82 Paladin - Honor. Originally created with the idea of naming the guild (and subsequent arena team) "Redefined". This guild name was taken, so we chose Crucified instead. Was intended to be leveled with Payne (Shadow priest) and Rage (Arms Warrior), but split up with my ex-gf who plays the priest. Ret/Holy Dwarf.

56 Druid - Theboom. Guess what spec he is! The only caster I'd never played. Nelf Boomie/Resto

40 Shaman - Voltage. Another spec-based name. Ele/Resto Dwarf.

29 Rogue - Sickmidget. A play on the poison aspect of a rogue. Assassination Gnome.

80 Hunter - Orion (with a bunch of crazy characters since everyone and their mom names a hunter Orion). Very fitting for a huntard. He even uses a bow! MM/Surv Nelf.

The_Id10t
10-29-2011, 02:09 PM
Idiotank - Id10t has been a tag I have used in game since the days of TF2, and I wanted to tank on my warrior.
Idtent - read it as ID10T
Layonhòòves - Tauren Holy Paladin ([Lay on Hands] has /bonk macroed to it)
Dumblock - a bit of a play on dumb luck
Idiotankh - Shaman
Knifetomeetu - Just thought it would be a nice way to introduce my rogue to the alliance. [Shadow Step] [Ambush] dead gnome.
Wintaizcomin - Frost mage cause I like game of thrones.
Drunkenidiot - Best brewmaster monk name EVER.

dieuglydie
10-31-2011, 06:32 AM
First toon was my lock named dieuglydie since I have been using that name for games for a while.
Second toon was my shammy named Ihateyoutoo since I figured quests that used your name it them would make it funny to read.
Next is a dk named bbthorton because I had just finished watching bad Santa.
Then the druid Manbearchick, cause well that's just funny.
Then a hunter, Dirtycows, don't know why.
At the start of cata made a Tauren Pally named Clampers. Futurama was on.
Started a Goblin Warrior, named her Meatgazer.
Now I'm leveling up a mage. Pissyouoff.

Krekentaur
11-09-2011, 03:32 PM
My main's name used to be Imadrunkorc. I thought it was cool, but it also had a level of immaturity. Eventually the name got reported; painfully enough, though, as I was logging on for a raid. So I thought of a name quick and sporadically, and it ended up being Krekentaur. On the brighter side of it all, the name stuck, really well, like snow on wet ground. I've had too many compliments on my name to count, and I've heard Krek so many times, when somebody says, "correct," I hear it wrong, and respond with a a lazily pronounced, "whaa?"

EDIT: grammatic errors.

SilvarusLupus
12-13-2011, 05:40 PM
My Tauren Hunter is named Silvarus. It's a common name I use for the forums and I liked the name.
My Tauren Shammy is called Crowwing, well because I liked the name. D-don't think I'm weird but I'm writing a character fiction about him.
My Troll Druid is called Motiji. Because "Mot" is an Egyptian god of death, and "iji" sounded troll-like.
My Nelf Druid is called Lenata. Because I thought it sounded cool.

Dwarfisshort
07-23-2012, 06:13 PM
I just do random name generators, except for my 2nd tank which had the name "dwarfisshort".