PDA

View Full Version : Help with loot systems.

Raiths
01-22-2010, 04:04 AM
First of all, my guild is a 10 man raiding guild. We are currently using a simple MS>OS loot system (not much of a system :P)
I am looking for a loot system to
a) Help us progress through ICC (ie, not giving loot to a player who is not a regular raider and possibly healers > casters)

b) Reward our regular raiders more than new recruits. This is the main reason I am looking for a new loot system. Recently several of our new recruits left, along with up to 3 ICC epics each (some good items such as Whispering Fanged Skull and 251 weapons) and then left a week or so later.

I would prefer a loot system that doesnt need to much management from our officers.

Thanks for any suggestions :P

Karatheya
01-22-2010, 05:16 AM
Check out the most recent weekly Marmot:

http://www.tankspot.com/forums/f189/61942-epic-marmot-effective-loot-systems.html

The next one will go into more detail on specific point-based loot systems.

My recommendation would be EP/GP, as it's a good balance between fair loot distribution and upkeep. While you could prioritize healers over other casters just by asking healers to declare first and only asking for further declarations if none of them wanted it, I wouldn't recommend it.

If you want to distribute loot purely for progression (and really, unless you're pushing for server firsts you probably don't need to), then you want loot council. Mixing class and role prioritization into a point-based system is just going to tick people off.

Healers and Tanks do not carry the entire raid on their shoulders, at least not to the extent that they did in earlier expansions. Your best geared healers and tanks can't beat an enrage timer if you've kept gear from your DPS.

Bashal
01-22-2010, 08:12 AM
I'm a fan of Suicide Kings (the mod is called SKG). It seems to work very well for even distribution of loot. Someone who is absent from a raid has their position frozen on the list, so the next time they raid, they won't find themselves suddenly at the top of the list and in line to win the next shiny epic. ;)

phaze
01-22-2010, 08:41 AM
First of all, my guild is a 10 man raiding guild. We are currently using a simple MS>OS loot system (not much of a system :P)
I am looking for a loot system to
a) Help us progress through ICC (ie, not giving loot to a player who is not a regular raider and possibly healers > casters)

To add memory to your loot decisions, use some form of a point system. Lots of different flavors out there, so take your pick.

There are ways to give healers priority (as well as giving priority to tanks), but I personally don't see any good reason to do so. For the most part, their loot choices don't overlap with your damagers.

b) Reward our regular raiders more than new recruits. This is the main reason I am looking for a new loot system.

You could simply modify your MS > OS system to be MS > OS > Recruit, if that's the only major problem you're having. Recruits should be focusing on good impressions, not on getting loot fast. ;)

Point systems handle this very well, if that's the direction you wish to go. Recruits aren't going to have enough purchasing power to keep taking from your core raiders, this way.

I would prefer a loot system that doesnt need to much management from our officers.

Suicide Kings has a few easy-to-manage addons ready to go, and is a point system that is very easy to run. It's not perfect (doesn't handle 'minor vs. major upgrade' choices well), but it's simple and fast.

I'm a big fan of a bidding points system, but those do require someone to track point gains/spending.

Having said all that: 10-man raiding is a small enough team that you can usually just talk it out amongst your squad. I've only ever used point systems for 25m and 40m content, where you just have too many people to keep track of things.

Raiths
01-22-2010, 07:00 PM
Thanks for the replies guys. I think I'll have a look at Suicide Kings and maybe try Phaze's suggestions.

If you have another loot system to suggest that is not already here that you think may be better than these systems, please post it.

chun
01-22-2010, 11:49 PM
We use Suicide Kings, and it works well for us (though of course, your
mileage may vary).

One quick note though, the SKG mod can be a bit of a pain to work
with (and to keep synchronized).

We started using another mod (KSK)
KahLua Konfer (Suicide Kings) (http://kahluamod.com/ksk/)

It seems to be well supported, and has been much easier for us
to use and keep synchronized amongst our raid teams.

Good luck!