PDA

View Full Version : Caster trouble in Forge of Souls

nightstrider
01-21-2010, 12:33 PM
My group just went into the forge of souls the other day but couldn't get past the first boss. We had a pally-tank, priest-healer, Warlock, and two mages for DPS. We are all of high enough level and gear score. within about the first 20 sec of the fight our DPS would instantly die from many multiple Magic's Bane (http://www.wowhead.com/?spell=69050) attacks. Does anyone know how a party like this can beat him?

Triskell
01-21-2010, 12:43 PM
Comments on the page linked here notes that this should only affect those in melee range. As your dps look to be all ranges, should stay out of melee to avoid this attack. Tank him in the centre and keep everyone else at range. I have not had a problem with losing anyone in my groups who would have combination of ranged and plate wearers????

Karatheya
01-21-2010, 01:32 PM
Magic's Bane has a very long range. The only effective way to tank him with a caster-heavy group is to pull him almost to the exit ramp and have the casters on the entrance ramp. If you put the boss in the middle of the room, the magic cleave will hit everyone.

This will also give you lots of time to dps the corrupted soul fragments.

It's not easy when you have lots of casters (and the difficulty scales with your gear), but it is doable.

Ciran
01-21-2010, 10:55 PM
... (and the difficulty scales with your gear), ...

I missed what you mean by this?

BruisedOoze
01-22-2010, 12:06 PM
I've never had any problems healing this encounter. Even with many casters. I'm not 100% sure but I believe it just affects people in his front arc, so maybe turn the boss away from the party?

(and the difficulty scales with your gear)

The damage is maximum at 15k, which requires 19k of mana. So the only scaling is prolonging the time you can get hit by 15k.

nightstrider
01-22-2010, 01:45 PM
nope, it affects everywhere unfortunately. we'll try it with him at the exit ramp. thanks for the advice guys. I'll post how it goes.

BruisedOoze
01-22-2010, 02:37 PM
Hrmm this may explain why a priest healer had some issues the other day. But the best I can recommend with that setup is that healer makes sure everyone is topped up. Or go into the fight at half mana if you can manage it.

ToKu
03-08-2010, 01:36 AM
The 2 biggest issues I have seen/experienced with the first boss are the healer not topping everyone off, and letting the soul fragment heal the boss and dragging the fight out.

For the situation you describe there is nothing extra that can be done or anything your not doing, just have the healer keep ppl topped. I tank the boss at one side of the room and tell DPS and anyone who will make a soul fragment to go to opposite side, then kite him while DPS kills the fragment.

v6Max
03-15-2010, 04:58 AM
When I've been in there with a caster heavy group I've had problems with priests and paladins keeping the group up. Druids and Shamans, however, would appear to be your friends in this encounter.

As said the best strategy appears to be to pull him to the outer ring with the group opposite but still in range; hold him still till he conjures a soul fragment and then kite if you notice DPS are slow burning it down and there's a possibility of it reaching him.

If you trust your casters then they can sit in the middle area so they don't need to move when he teleports to the center in phase 2.

Misogyny
03-21-2010, 03:44 PM
The problem was your healer. Classes / specs with a high amount of mana take a high amount of damage from the bane attack. A decent healer will heal it, a bad one will do nothing, and the next one will kill the casters. I started healing it on my shaman with a gearscore well under 4k and had no problems with it. In fact, at lower gearscore I had more problems healing the beginning trash and was using grounding at every cooldown to mitigate some damage while wind shearing the bonecasters.

Delicatesse
03-31-2010, 03:25 PM
Full caster groups are bad to heal on that boss, but I never had a problem healing this on my badge geared paladin or disc priest. Your healer must have been bad if the group wiped that early.

Alky-holic
04-07-2010, 07:42 PM
I've never had problems with this boss when healing as a disc priest (5k GS :(). I even heal it with arena glyphs and spec.

Just keep prayer of mending up, renews here and there, shield everyone and spam prayer of healing. If the whole party is getting low, just blow divine hymn to top everyone off.

edit: Heh, didn't notice the thread creation date. Oops