PDA

View Full Version : Big Slimes on Rotface with weird aggro

Mecer
01-20-2010, 07:09 AM
Did anyone else notice the aggro table on the large slimes during the Rotface encounter go awry after Crimson Halls opened?

We havent had any issues with them in the past, the kiting tank would taunt, and proceed to spam Icy Touch and Death Coil, threat was solid. Now randomly the Big Ooze would split off and target a healer one shotting, even after threat had already been established. After 2 weeks of killing Rotface and having no ability to maintain threat on the Big Ooze we called it.

Two things that we're postulating:
1) Aggro clears when a new little ooze is eaten, given a short gap that healers could pull. (I was unable to determine any correlation last night)

or

2) Healer threat is out of wack after crimson halls opened, having them generate far more threat than addons are actually reporting. A single target tank wont have issues, or even AoE, but when kiting and threat isnt nearly as high allows for pulls.

Anyways just wondering if anyone else has noticed this phenomenon.

Megatwan
01-20-2010, 09:35 AM
hmm, did it last night on 25m, didnt notice really... unless your healers changed specs and dont have threat reduction now?

although, i believe when two big oozes merge they aggro wipe. might be what you saw...

Mecer
01-20-2010, 10:01 AM
hmm, did it last night on 25m, didnt notice really... unless your healers changed specs and dont have threat reduction now?

although, i believe when two big oozes merge they aggro wipe. might be what you saw...

No spec changes. As far as two big oozes merging, this was happening too early for that, but thanks for the tip.

Quinafoi
01-20-2010, 11:57 AM
2) Healer threat is out of wack after crimson halls opened, having them generate far more threat than addons are actually reporting. A single target tank wont have issues, or even AoE, but when kiting and threat isnt nearly as high allows for pulls.

This is not possible. Threat has absolute numeric value returned by the games API calls. Unless you're running a threat monitor that predates the 3.0 patch (Wrath of the Lich King), it's not functionally possible for threat to be any value different than what the game says it is.

Not entirely accurate. The one which absorbed the other maintains its threat. The one that was absorbed and no longer exists loses its threat.

Squirrelnut
01-20-2010, 02:17 PM
Did it last night again, never had any aggro issue. I am the big ooze kiter as a Prot Warrior and I simply heroic throw/taunt as the first two small ones merge, then spam thunderclap/shockwave whenever off-cooldown as I run around in circles kiting the big one.

I don't think I lost aggro once, I tend to think your tank is doing something wrong or you are mistaking 2 big oozes combining and potentially dropping aggro as the one you were kiting is absorbed by the other which you need to taunt.

If you are worried about losing aggro and it doesn't have a lot of stacks yet feel free to throw up cooldowns, run in and whack it once before running out again haha.

Mecer
01-21-2010, 05:48 AM
See thats the thing Squirrel, Im doing the exact same thing Ive done on our previous two kills. Taunt+IT and DC spam, was more than enough in the past to gain and maintain aggro.

Knowing this seems to be a local issue, thank you all for your information. Ill have to do some investigating tonight to see if something is reproducable