PDA

View Full Version : Raid Comp.

Refain
01-18-2010, 02:58 PM
Hey I've been leading raids now for awhile, and I have always had some kind of opinion on what are good composistions. Now I am not quite as sure. Before ToC patch I for one didn't really notice the usefullness of a Disc Priest and I still dont to be honest in its fullest potential. However what this post is about is what do people think about the "best" 10 man and 25 man Raid Comp.? For 10 Man I have always thought of it obviously no more than 1 of each class, with a few select classes always wanted. For 10 mans I think Tanks Wise it doesn't matter as long as there geared compitent and can compliment eachother IE: Pally (AoE), Warrior (Boss). But into 10 ToC and 10 ToGc I felt as if Pallies where required for two healing things. Priests are good because of there Spirit and Fort. The Paladin or two for Kings and Sanc. Mage for Arcane Int. and mage food (lol). Obviously a Shaman for Totems and Heroism. A Rouge the best stun lock in the game. Also perhaps a Druid healer or boomkin for GOTW and they are also handy hots. So my Question is what is the best raid comp and why? Here are my thoughts please comment and let me know what you think!

10 Mans
Shaman (DPS with Healing Offspec)
Priest (Healer Holy)
Paladin (Holy)
Mage (DPS)
Boomkin (DPS or the one with Offspec Heals)
Hunter (DPS)
Rogue (DPS)
Warlock (DPS)
Paladin (Tank)
Warrior (Tank)
10 Raiders

25 Mans
Death Knight (1 DPS, 1 DPS with Tank Offspec and gear)
Druid (1 Resto, 1 Boomkin, 1 Feral DPS)
Hunter (2 Hunters for MDs)
Mage (2 DPS)
Paladin (1 Tank, 1 Holy)
Priest (1 Holy, 1 Shadow)
Rogue (1 Rogue)
Shaman (1 Ele. 1 Enhancment, 1 Resto)
Warlock (1 Destro)
Warrior (1 Tank, 1 DPS)
20 Raiders Still needing 5

Now my question is as a Raid Leader can someone tell me where Disc Priest stand in this world. I ask that because a Holy Pally is the best tank healer in the game. Are Disc Priest a close second? A Pally can keep up two tanks although a disc priest may struggle (No offense I just dont understand a Disc Priests roll). Also Looking other than the Disc Priest that still leaves four slots open. With that I wonder what is a worth while choice. My question is is it kind of silly to have like two locks or of anything else. Any of your thoughts of building a Good raid Comp please respond to this post I appreciate it!

boogi
01-18-2010, 06:26 PM
I have an disc priest alt in t9 gear or equivalent. A disc priests main task is not keeping tanks up, although he can do this too. A disc priests main ability is to prevent damage to the tank by shielding. My disc priest shields for about 6-7k damage which is pretty massive in my opinion because this is damage that won't have to be healed up and it gives tanks better survivability.

Also if you bring a disc priest to a 10 man you won't need Sanctuary for the damage reduction because disc priest has an similar ability that won't stack with Sanc (can't remember the name right now).

Disc priests bring some nice utility to the raid like Pain Supression which is like an "Shield Wall" that can be thrown on anyone.

Disc priests can be nice raid healers too on some fights, spamming shields all around the raid. The fight that first comes to mind is the Twins in Tot(G)C, my alt usually does around 7-8k absorbs per second there on 10 man and our main disc priests puts out even more (this is not counting normal healing that a disc priest does on that fight).

I love disc priests when I'm tanking because my health isn't going up and down like a jojo (with Pallies this can be the case).

Proletaria
01-18-2010, 10:25 PM
I would rate the disc priest on par with the holy pally in most tank-healing settings and ahead of one in some scenarios. Though there are a lot of places where beacon of light is absurdly effective, disc priests have plenty to bring to a raid too. I'd put him or her on tank healing as a first choice, but they can also be very capable raid healers if they know their class/spec well.

Fealthas
01-19-2010, 08:38 AM
Just from the healing aspect of 10 mans, my favorite comp is disc priest and a resto druid. It works really well for my group and it's the favored healing comp by several groups on my server.

Juggtacular
01-19-2010, 10:58 AM
Every 25man Raid should have a Disc Priest, are they going to top the Healing done meter's, No (if they do you have other problems) Disc Priest prevent damage with shield's there is a Recount addon for this it's called Guessed Absorbs. If you add the 2 together if they know what they are doing they will be ontop, and with less overheals.

Imo if I were to add to your raid comp for an ideal setting I would add
1 more Warlock
1 more Mage
1 Ret Pally
1 Disc Priest
and 1 more Healer either a Restio Druid, or Holy Priest

But that list would only bring you up to 6 healers depending on the content that you are running you only really need 5 if only 5 are needed I would say another Rogue.
That being said there are some cases that you may want to have 7 healers so if one of the Shaman's had a healing offspec they could help out with heals.

Gretchin
01-20-2010, 01:13 AM
If your holy priest is willing make him/her have dual spec with holy and disc and use what feels to suit the fight best.

I raid 10 man as disc and I think it's very awesome. Not only is shielding a very powerful tool in a group with fewer people but a disc priest are very versatile with strong single target heals and prevention of incomming damage, added with Prayer of Healing for covering raid damage.

That being said at the moment I would say that in 10 man a paladin have very good synergy with all the other healing classes at this point and it doesn't really matter what you put together of healing classes as long as they are competent players. Paladins are mostly only tank healing but all other healing specs can cover both tank and raid healing decently enough.

Gretchin
01-20-2010, 01:13 AM
If your holy priest is willing make him/her have dual spec with holy and disc and use what feels to suit the fight best.

I raid 10 man as disc and I think it's very awesome. Not only is shielding a very powerful tool in a group with fewer people but a disc priest are very versatile with strong single target heals and prevention of incomming damage, added with Prayer of Healing for covering raid damage.

That being said at the moment I would say that in 10 man a paladin have very good synergy with all the other healing classes at this point and it doesn't really matter what you put together of healing classes as long as they are competent players. Paladins are mostly only tank healing but all other healing specs can cover both tank and raid healing decently enough.

Raiths
01-21-2010, 11:45 PM
In my opinion, it is best to stack casters or physical dps. This increases dps because your raid buffs are more suited to each other. In doing this, you do lose some buffs but the increase in dps is well worth it.

I think purely for flexibilty a heavy caster group is a good idea, just because of dual spec you have more options for healers. However you do lose interupts, MD (yes hunters are melee ;D) etc.

On the other hand, melee groups have more flexibility tank wise, and this way you do get MD and more interupts.

Note: Disc priests are quite good for preventing damage for fights similar to Saurfang (preventing damage prevents blood power..)

It mostly comes down to who's available to you tbh.
Hope it helps :D