PDA

View Full Version : Kiting the Ooze, sucks, help / question

Genus
01-18-2010, 08:34 AM
Hello, im a Prot pally MT normally but OT for this fight on the Ooze but the problem we kept running into was the ooze starting to say immune to taunt? and also .. with kiting .. i think i may be kiting to fast... but i seem to run into the poison on the side alot .. which then makes it so i have to kite the mob close to the raid, which causes them to take to much damage and eventually wiping us .. for 10man is better to have 3 heals? or 2 heals .. and in that situation do we want 1 person only to cleanse? Any tips on Kiting as a prot pally with the poison on the sides would be great and the number of heals you would suggest for it .. also the initial ooze is a pain .. getting it to stay on OT is near impossible because of the taunt resistance... so what can we do to hold the first ooze until the 2nd 1 comes.

Bashal
01-18-2010, 08:38 AM
While your taunt does damage (I think?), it shouldn't be your primary method for generating threat. Repeated taunts within a short period of time will result in the mob being temporarily immune.

Whip your shield at it, drop consecrates for it to run through, judge it... anything you have that can be used at range, use it as often as you can. Save taunt for times that something goes awry and you lose aggro -- its a backup only.

Also, the pools of slime that spawn periodically around the edge of the room really don't do that much damage. It's ok to run through it.

It's probably safest to run with 3 healers.

Paladins can also cleanse the debuff off people. One option would be for you to do the cleansing once someone is close enough to you for their little ooze to combine with the big one.

Exiledknight
01-18-2010, 09:06 AM
I am the same situation as you, Protection Paladin MT, however when the more difficult job is not on the boss I handle it. I rarely have aggro issues as long as I remember to swap some gear so I remain hit capped. Running through the slime is of no consequence so don't worry about that. With the big ooze, once it spawns I taunt ShoR once and start to kite as I go I judge and then AS, throughout I usually let it get close enough one other time so that I can judge again, you can even use exorcism on them although I cast it on rot every time it is off CD.

vine
01-19-2010, 04:11 AM
Also as a paladin you can use Hand of Freedom on yourself and zip through the slime pools.

Megatwan
01-19-2010, 06:04 AM
herro fren, i often/always OT/kite as a prot pally...

-as soon as the big ooze forms, hand of reckonng and run

-avengers shield every chance you get

-IF/WHEN you have some distance, exorcism it

-run some more

-freedom works for the flooded area (not the lil pools they chuck at you) ...i think [unconfirmed]

-I handle cleansing with a mouse over macro but you really dont have to do that. it does help gettin ppl back in the middle faster when ppl are topped and things are smooth

-Hand of Sac and DS/DG when squishy ppl are infected or multiple small oozes are out at the end.

-def watch for ppl sandbagging you with bad merges/multiple big ones, yes it sux but most of the time you can finesse them and recover. remember the puddles slow them too.

-IF you have a small ooze on you: either a) DP and bring it close enough to merge (i dont recommend this as i save DP for less reckless uses) b) leave it on you (only hits for 1-2kish) and let the next small one after an explosion come to you

***Healers will rip aggro off you if you merely taunt when it spawns***
...especially disc priests with no threat reduction. If your bad or they want to play it safe, tell them to get omen and use Hand of Salv and Fade etc.

Also, sometimes you need to touch the wall to get it back to the outside of the room. remember it has a dmg aura and should never go near the middle. Oh, and your the best person to call out the explosion for any bad kids in your guild (ie watch when hes casting and crap flys up in the air).

Grognard
01-19-2010, 06:49 AM
As a Prot Pally myself, and looking at having to do this in the next couple of days, I feel your pain. I've done a lot of research on this problem, though (mostly on these forums - thanks, guys!), and have a lot of tools to take with me, and suggestions to offer (will post my results after I take my cracks at it):

1. As stated before, use what ranged abilities you have that are not Hand of Reckoning - Avanger's Shield and Judgement should pick up the Big Ooze easily enough, and, big bonus while kiting, Judgement can be used while your target is behind you.

2. Don't worry about the slime pools; yes, they have a slight snaring effect, but Hand of Freedom will fix that. Tested that one already. Works. I had been DPS up until this week, and my Hand of Freedom made our original off-tank very happy the last time we tried this fight. Speccing into Guardian's Favor will help.

3. Any speed buffs will help, too - Tuskarr's Vitality enchant to boots, speccing into Pursuit of Justice; the extra distance afforded by speed buffs will give you the time necessary to turn and use your shield again or fire off Exorcism.

4. Ping the map if you can, so the infected can find you more easily. Pursuant to this, a Paladin ooze tank may work the best as the tank can cleanse the infected when near enough to merge oozes and maximize DPS' uptime on the boss. (I'm aware that the debuff applies a healing reduction effect and my group's healers tend to cleanse immediately; Pally tank cleansing is a thought, may investigate.)

5. In the event that you find damage is coming too quick - i.e., 4+ mins into the fight when infections are being applied every 6 secs - Divine Protection will help to mitigate your incoming damage from the slime pools and the radiation effect of the oozes. This may not be all that beneficial at that time, what with so much raid healing going on, but anything to help your healers is a bonus in my book.

Hamburglar
01-19-2010, 08:11 AM
I shield slam it when it spawns and thunderclap once. As I'm running away I heroic throw. I might take a 20k hit when its just got 0 stacks but whatever, just run it around. Don't backpeddle and it won't get near you. Run through the slime if you have to.

Echota
01-21-2010, 12:53 AM
Although I'm a druid tank, I've successfully kited the ooze for my 10man strict guild on our progress kill. I was able to hold threat with just Feral Fire, which is a 6second cooldown range. I think using Avenger's Shield + Consecrate would hold threat. We two healed it, and you'll find that as a tank, cleansing the debuffed players who spawn small slimes when they're in position is a great way of keeping control of the kiting. Ignore the slime, if you maintain a 30yard lead on the ooze, It won't catch you, especially with HoF.

That said, while paladin tanks have some great abilities for the kiting, I found that using feral charge to immobilize small slimes which we spawned in front of my path saved healing, and made merging the slimes a LOT easier. They'd be stuck there until they merged, avoiding the issue of having to wait for an aura pulse to merge slimes. Saves around 15000 healing when you add them not being hit, and avoiding being pulsed by the small and large ooze auras. Worth thinking about if you have a feral about :).

Mammoth
01-21-2010, 08:40 AM
I kite the big ooze as a feral tank for my guild's 10-man. We have the first player hit with Mutated Infection position their little ooze due East (any cardinal direction will work, just want to keep it away from the slime pools) where I root it in place. The second player then just runs their little ooze into the first to form the big Ooze and the game is on. The rest of the fight people run out to me, I pop into caster form, root their little ooze in place, switch to bear and continue kiting with Feral Faerie Fire.

Now I know paladins don't have any roots but somebody in the raid should have something to root/stun that first little ooze in place to make the initial formation smooth. And players that spawn the little ooze can use any roots or stuns they might have at their disposal to incapacitate the little ooze in the big ooze's path.

Timecks
01-21-2010, 09:43 AM
The first ooze, and the first ooze after each ooze explosion, has to be kited by the person who gets it. If this person is a Hunter, let them come to you, hit it a few times, then the hunter can FD to go back to dpsing the boss. As the OT, I just run with that guy until the second ooze appears, they merge, I gain aggro on the big ooze and start kiting. I mark the Big Ooze for those that can't see a big ooze running around the room.

I do all of the cleansing of the infection... except for the time our enhancment shaman put down a cleansing totem... needless to say, that attempt didn't go very well.

TiaMaster
01-21-2010, 08:23 PM
Using Grogs post to make some points without having to type alot. :D

2. Don't worry about the slime pools; yes, they have a slight snaring effect, but Hand of Freedom will fix that. Tested that one already. Works. I had been DPS up until this week, and my Hand of Freedom made our original off-tank very happy the last time we tried this fight. Speccing into Guardian's Favor will help.
This one is big. Simply kite the ENTIRE fight in a clockwise direction, never stopping, and never going out of range of your healers in the middle.
Two things about this:
ONE) If you see a Flood coming up, blow a CD (bubble or sumthin'...I'm a DK I use AntiMagic Shield). If you have no CD simply say, "I'm entering a Flood" for your healers. Its NOT alot of damage.
TWO) Spot Floods ahead that have been up a while, because they will fade soon and you can adjust your speed to allow you to get there when it does fade and give you and your slime-droppers some freedom.

3. Any speed buffs will help, too - Tuskarr's Vitality enchant to boots, speccing into Pursuit of Justice; the extra distance afforded by speed buffs will give you the time necessary to turn and use your shield again or fire off Exorcism.
I have not noticed speed buffs helping at all. Its obvious you don't back-peddle when kiting a Big Ooze, and as long as you don't it will never catch you. Its slow as crap. It takes me no time at all to turn and fire something off, or even 2 or three things, plus snaring all the little oozes at the same time.

4. Ping the map if you can, so the infected can find you more easily. Pursuant to this, a Paladin ooze tank may work the best as the tank can cleanse the infected when near enough to merge oozes and maximize DPS' uptime on the boss. (I'm aware that the debuff applies a healing reduction effect and my group's healers tend to cleanse immediately; Pally tank cleansing is a thought, may investigate.)
Pinging the map turned out to be too much of a distraction for some people I found (=\) so just mark yourself with something easily seen like diamond. This works because the mark can be seen through everything including the boss...so they just need to run towards the mark.
Don't wait - cleanse the infection ASAP as it hurts alot (and has the heal debuff as Grog said), and the little oozes don't hurt alot. That said, at the last part of the fight if you cleanse too fast there will be multiple little oozes up which is a bad thing. Smart cleansing at that point is needed.

5. In the event that you find damage is coming too quick - i.e., 4+ mins into the fight when infections are being applied every 6 secs - Divine Protection will help to mitigate your incoming damage from the slime pools and the radiation effect of the oozes. This may not be all that beneficial at that time, what with so much raid healing going on, but anything to help your healers is a bonus in my book.
Yep.
Also, DO NOT PANIC. The peeps kiting oozes to you need to remember to pay attention to their own surroundings.
They need to know:

If you are in a slime pool they have to meet you on the other side, not run into it.
If there is already more than one person trying to deliver their ooze (which does happen often below 30%) they need to meet you further around the room, or risk making another Big Ooze.
If someone in the raid stack suddenly finds themselves with a little green friend (a bug causes this, and also the death of a kiter) they need to act as though they were the original kiter and take it quickly to you.

Kherberos
01-21-2010, 08:41 PM
I usually do this on 25man as a warrior. TBH I just get in melee ranged when 2 combine and hit it with my biggest move (shieldslam) and then run away.
Since it takes a second or 2 after merge before it actually agros it also doesnt hit you yet. So its perfectly safe.
After that I just run circles and you must have it even easier with your consecrate you can place in its path. I need to actually let it come close enough to thunderclap it , which is tricky at best or shockwave it which is similar.

Basically start out with a big TPS global cooldown in melee range and then run away fast. The damage @ first is low and increases every merge, so start = best time to generate agro

Blbstein
01-28-2010, 02:00 PM
For me (blood DK) is this easy..i generate threat with IT,DC and sometime with DaD, small oozes are immune to taunt but they can be slowed by Chains of Ice, big ooze is immune to slow effect but it can be taunted...when i run through ooze floods i use Anti-magic shell to absorb some dmg and im not slowed.

Eisen
01-31-2010, 10:56 AM
Speed buffs aren't necessary and in fact are dangerous. Move too fast and the sucker starts cutting corners through the raid. Had it happen last night before I realized. Darn Tuskarr's.

ALl I can say though? WTB 5 more yd increase on TC radius. That fight sucks as a warrior OT.

Revenous
02-01-2010, 05:59 AM
Going off of the OP. The easest way to get a nice chunk of threat on the big ooze when it spawns is to lay a consencrate(sp?) with the edge of it hitting the ooze. This way not only are you bumping up your threat off the start with your hammers and shield tosses but having that down will add on to it since it will be running over it while moving to you.

Also there may be times where you have to "S" key to keep the ooze away from the raid. I do it every fight. So anyone who says its bad to do that can be right or wrong. You just have to use your judgement (hehehe pun) on when to turn to back peddle with the ooze.

kdfiction
02-12-2010, 11:57 PM
If you carry a hunter around, have him macro a Misdirect to you:

/tar you
/use misdirection
/tar big ooze

It is also very much a possibility for a hunter to kite this and dps the boss at the same time utilizing disengage, deterrence and distracting shot if need be.

serephas
02-17-2010, 03:44 PM
Pinging the map turned out to be too much of a distraction for some people I found (=\) so just mark yourself with something easily seen like diamond. This works because the mark can be seen through everything including the boss...so they just need to run towards the mark.
Don't wait - cleanse the infection ASAP as it hurts alot (and has the heal debuff as Grog said), and the little oozes don't hurt alot. That said, at the last part of the fight if you cleanse too fast there will be multiple little oozes up which is a bad thing. Smart cleansing at that point is needed.
[/LIST]

Marking yourself doesnt work IF you have DBM. in which case you'll have to turn it off. If you do have it you will be marked and then subsequently unmarked as you will recieve the infection debuff aswell.....thus leaving you with no mark and having to waste more time remarking all the time.

Also with the second part. once you are near the end you will most likely not have the grace of not cleansing or all your dps will be stacked up waiting for a cleanse and no damage output.

proudmoore
02-17-2010, 04:25 PM
Bind marks to accessible keys, simple.

You're generally better off not relying on Avengers Shield for threat. I tend to find that it's best saved for things going bad - if two people with oozes blindly run into each other, Taunt + frisbee should be enough to get it under control under Judgement or Consecrate can do the rest. Taunt alone won;t keep it off the healers, unless its very local.

In terms of threat, my usual combination is to HoReck (there's a short period after spawning during which HoR deals damage), Shield-slam, and then either Hammer of Righteousness or start running + judgement, depending on how distracted healers are. This should be enough to keep threat off healers until it explodes.

In terms of movement, you want to stay around 15 yards ahead to keep it from clipping the raid. If you're coming up to a slime, gain distance; if you need more threat, loose distance. If you're in range for Judgement, you're at risk of melee, so only drop this far back if you need the threat.

A Mouseover macro for Dispel works well, but make sure that using it doesn't affect your movement. Stopping to dispel looses you distance that you then need to make up again

Finally, a second Big Ooze forming within 20 yards should not be a major issue, provided you notice it. So if things are slipping, don;t be afraid to purposefully spawn one to let players get back to the fight, if you're sure you can pick it up. It also delays the main big ooze explosion.

vine
02-17-2010, 07:33 PM
Marking yourself doesnt work IF you have DBM. in which case you'll have to turn it off. If you do have it you will be marked and then subsequently unmarked as you will recieve the infection debuff aswell.....thus leaving you with no mark and having to waste more time remarking all the time.

Also with the second part. once you are near the end you will most likely not have the grace of not cleansing or all your dps will be stacked up waiting for a cleanse and no damage output.
Just make a macro, easy:

/target player
/script SetRaidTargetIcon("target",8) end
/targetlasttarget

This will mark yourself, then target your last mob. Just change the 8 to whatever icon you want.

swelt
02-18-2010, 02:05 AM
Or just like this:
/script SetRaidTargetIcon("player",8)